It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I have done it!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Pretty small content here. I am going on 4 months sans opiates after 12yrs on ORT (8yrs on methadone, then 3yrs on subs). I would NEVER recommend that anyone follow the path I did....Lord knows I did things the hard way. I had resolved to stay on indefinitely, but I stopped.

To me, dose and length of time in treatment are irrelevant to anything. What matters is being free of addiction. If the time comes to stop, great....but don't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Again, thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Congratulations!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey moman,

Welcome and Congratulations on 4 months.

If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to stop?

Do you have any kind of support in place to continue on your fantastic journey moving forward?

I like how you say, 'If the time comes to stop, fine...if not, don't worry about it'. That's pretty much what happened for me, I just intuitively knew it was time to stop for me. There was no long drawn out battle going on in my mind about whether to stay on sub or quit...it, more or less, just came to me one day that I wanted to give it a shot and I knew I would be able to do it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I became unemployed when my position of ten years was subbed out. Eventually, my benefits expired and the cost of treatment was killing me (this after paying $600/mo COBRA had wiped me clean). My doc, who had refused to prescribe generic subutex, offered it after informing me she had no needymeds openings. I began trying to taper off, but kept failing. Eventually, I simply went CT, relapsed on booze (after 15+yrs sober), and landed in rehab. It was not pleasant!

This is why I'd never recommend my way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Moman said, ' I would NEVER recommend that anyone follow the path I did....Lord knows I did things the hard way.'

Yeah, you sound like me. Apparently, I learn most all of my lessons the hard way too. Like when I was 12 years old and fashioned a parachute out of a bed sheet and jumped out of a tree, my father tried and tried to warm me, but he knew I was too much like him so he let me 'fly'. Turns out a bed sheet parachute needs more than 8 feet of drop to open properly!

Hey, I'm just glad to hear you've got almost 4 months under you belt. Are you experiencing any post acute withdrawal?

BTW, I am certainly not implying that you are as dumb as I am by relating that 'parachute' story to you...I just thought you might understand it a little better than others may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Its a good story....illustrates your point well! Yes, I still suffer PAWS. For me, insomnia was and is the worst. I detest folks who say "insomnia never killed anyone"....they've never gone a week w/o sleep while in WD. My symptoms are no longer constant, but they can return as strong as ever.

I heard some NA genius (who was cutting me down for my "cupcake recovery") piously state that "suboxone patients say they cannot handle the cravings....all they need is dark chocolate). If chocolate could have controlled my symptoms, I would have eaten it every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A little lack of sleep never killed anyone....BLAH BLAH BLAH, I hear you, man! Every time I heard it I had the irresistible urge to drop kick that person through the nearest window.

I'm 6 months off subs today and still have some sleep issues. I'm WAY better than I was a month ago and the month before that, etc. But my sleep is not exactly where I would like it to be yet. I'm going to have to say that most everything else has returned to 'normal' or darn close.

From everything I have read, sleep seems to be one of the last things to return to normal...generally speaking. I've heard of some people after just a few days getting their sleep back...doesn't seem fair does it :wink:

What is it with these AA/NA people feeling the need to put us down for our choices. I think they're jealous that we opiate addicts have found a way to get better with suboxone while they're left out in the cold. Just my opinion.

Hang in there, bud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Has anybody tried the supplement melatonin?? I am 22 days off the subs and up until a few days ago I couldn't sleep more than 3 hrs a night. My nurse recommended melatonin and I've slept very well the past few nights. She said it's safe to take for a while. Ambien couldn't make me sleep for shot but melatonin helps tremendously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cantbephaded,

Good job on 22 days off sub!

I would only get about 3 hrs sleep early on too. I tried sleepy time tea, valerian root, L-tryptophan (i think) and a couple others I can't remember, but I never did try Melatonin...I wish I would have now. Thanks for the advice.

How were/are your wd's treating you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Romeo, I feel great! For the most part anyway. Still the occasional chills and sneezing but doesn't bother me. Sleeps been goodthe last few days thanks to the melatonin. Only thing I still struggle with is energy. Working long hours never bothered me before but now I drag ass all day, some days have been better than others but I really want my energy back. I have been more motivated and whatnot but my energy can't keep up. I figured after a good weeks it would return but apparently that is not the case. I hope so soon though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know PAWS can last up to two years....not a pleasant thought. I've tried chamomile tea (Sleepy Time) and other "natural" stuff with no success. Also have tried seroquel, flexaril, remeron, trazadone and other "safer" Rx stuff with no real success. I have a script for ambien but detest some of the side effects (wandering around eating and other goofy shit at night...then not remembering) so I avoid it. Something like ativan works, but I end up abusing it, so that's not an option.

I have always gone to AA....never cared for NA even before I got on ORT. I disliked the rituals, members coming to meetings wasted, lack of sobriety, and I found myself attracted to people who were holding like a magnet. Later, the abstinence zealots sealed the deal. I know many find recovery there, if they keep their medical stuff to themselves (not that it is anyone's business, anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

moman wrote:
I became unemployed when my position of ten years was subbed out. Eventually, my benefits expired and the cost of treatment was killing me (this after paying $600/mo COBRA had wiped me clean). My doc, who had refused to prescribe generic subutex, offered it after informing me she had no needymeds openings. I began trying to taper off, but kept failing. Eventually, I simply went CT, relapsed on booze (after 15+yrs sober), and landed in rehab. It was not pleasant!

This is why I'd never recommend my way!

wow :shock: I'm sorry you had to go down that road, that must have been pretty horrible. All of it. The job loss, the relapse, rehab, etc.....ugh......but at least you made it through to the other side! Congrats for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

moman wrote:

I have always gone to AA....never cared for NA even before I got on ORT. I disliked the rituals, members coming to meetings wasted, lack of sobriety, and I found myself attracted to people who were holding like a magnet. Later, the abstinence zealots sealed the deal. I know many find recovery there, if they keep their medical stuff to themselves (not that it is anyone's business, anyway).

Not to turn this into an AA/NA thread, but I spent decades in and out of the halls. Mostly AA, but I did do some NA for a while. I found the overall quality of the sobriety to be a lot higher in AA. My problem, primarily, was my inability to wrap my atheist brain around the whole "higher power" concept. This pushed me towards a program called "Rational Recovery" which is now called "Smart Recovery" and it's pretty much the ANTI AA :lol: But, like AA and NA, for many people, it works.

Do you still go to meetings, moman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh, you bet? I also had a problem finding a HP, but eventually discovered I had complicated things so much I had made it impossible. There is no time limit, and I know many agnostics in AA. The key to me is that, whatever HP is, it sure ain't me!!

I've heard of some of the newer programs, checked them out online, and discovered they seemed centered in cities nowhere near where I live. Also, they are new and lack the long history of success that AA/NA have. But if what you are doing is working, that's great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i have kicked the bone before and had RLS for 32 and didnt sleep at ALL!!!!! the whole TIME,,,, Poster child for RLS here.. Theres no reason anyone should have to suffer that badd alive or concious anyway. I swear i wish i could just go into sime 30 day coma thru my withdrawl...I WOULD PAY FOR It...I too hate being a slave to suboxone and i say that because i am an addict and fully accept that, I am chemically dependant while on suboxone which is the difference between full, and partial agaonist..I along with numerous other people have even considered suicide a alternative to kicking METHADONE 100mgs or more, Being on subs for 3 yrs and kicking that cold turkey< or an extreme agaonist W/d....all just as intense too me in the heat of the momment my friends...ive kicked them all numerous times and sure i have more ahead...Thats the unfortunate fate much of us addicts have to look forward too but as i say it could always be worse and we wanted to dance with the devil SO PAY THE PIPER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I never felt as though I was a "slave to suboxone" (or methadone), they were simply an everyday medication. I always here crap like "we all have seen these people nodding off in meetings", yada, yada.

Compared to the alternative, life on ORT was great!

Post subject: skittish reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am skittish to reply on this forum - as I had a rough response when i was going through an experimental method of getting of sub 3 months ago. Welllllll..... I am STILL on LDN and doing great! I was part of a study that used 2 Fent patches at the end of my sub taper to "rip any remaining sub off the receptors" thus getting rid of the half life problem and the inevitable PAWS. the patches were for 6 days only, felt NOTHING. had to wait 3 days (not fun) and started LDN at 1.5 mg and worked my way up to 4.5. No cravings, no PAWS, no insomnia, no rls. had a proceedure about a month ago that required narcotics, I was UPFRONT with the dr., not easy, and he wrote me a very small supply of Lortab with no refills. immediately upon finishing i called my sub dr. and asked him what to do. he wrote me the clonidine parafon forte combo for 2 days and got right back on LDN. NO spiralling backward. all in all, clean since my birthday, Oct. 6. left this site for awhile - was not good for my progress, but thought I would pop in and say hi! Congrats to all who have addiction in the rearview mirror. and I do not consider staying on sub, active addiction. to those still on it, you are as clean as me!