It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on Suboxone for 2 years, 2009-2011, after a Lortab turned Methadone addiction. I was in Respiratory Therapy school in 2011 when I tapered all the way off of Suboxone. I had no issues with the taper and felt fine for a long time. However, I did begin drinking more socially than I ever had prior to my active addiction with opiates.
I graduated and passed my CRT exam in 2012 and applied for my state Respiratory Therapy license. The application asks about past alcohol or drug addiction and whether treated in patient or outpatient. I was trying to do the right thing and be honest so I did admit to a prior history of addiction that had been treated by a physician. I sent in all of the information the board requested; letter from my doctor, a clean drug screen, a letter from myself explaining my addiction and it's history.

Very long story short, in 2013 my license was revoked for failure to comply with wellness monitoring requirements put in place by the board. I was told I could apply for reinstatement after a year. In 2015 I was still working as a sleep tech and planning to sit for my RPSGT exam to become a registered sleep tech so I wasn't too concerned with my respiratory license at this point.
I was having to take random drug tests as ordered by HR and EAP at work as well as counseling monthly. I was drinking significantly and making poor choices. I did cocaine once with my then boyfriend and had a screen 2 days later and lost my job.
I have since gotten back into subuxone treatment, quit drinking, ended said horrible relationship, began counseling and am expecting my first child in September. I am in the process of applying to have my respiratory license reinstated so that I can have my career back. I have reached out to the board and have to include a letter detailing the steps I've taken in the past year towards my recovery. I wasn't planning to specifically mention MAT as part of my treatment plan because I'm afraid they will see it as "still using." However, I'm afraid if I don't mention it and they find out that that will hurt my chances of being reinstated.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with licensing boards? I know prospective employers can't ask about things like this but it seems these licensing boards are given way more leeway into these types of personal matters. Any experience with this and feedback is appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

All Boards are different. The NC Board of Nursing allows nurses to practice on bupe. You'll have check your states board rules.
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey brittanne09,

IDK but don't want to assume what you've read or not read here so I'm providing a recent sub and nursing link. Table 2 in the 2012 Mayo Clinic article lists each state's Board of Medicine and Board of Nursing policy on re-entry on buprenorphine. No RT listed but maybe Alabama RT follows these 2 boards, IDK? So far Table 2 correlates w individual reports on this forum like what Duke fanatic just provided for NC RNs.
Maybe since you are already on their radar screen from earlier years? And w the increased testing for bup that we're reading about, it seems plausible that you may be tested for bup. Some folks here use a temp email unrelated to their real name and contact their specific board and ask for their bup/MAT specific policy.

suboxon-and-nursing-t13602.html

Congrats on it all - new upcoming baby and restarting your career! With all your specific research, I think you'll be able to get what you need. Hope you let us know what you find out for AL Resp therapy. Best and congrats again! Pel