It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm so use to being on methadone and seeing the wafers, I was wondering how do people take, say, 6mg's of Suboxone when seeing how strong it is, you can't break it evenly into 4 pcs like a methadone wafer. I only see one score line. And I'm going to be getting buprenorphine, which looks like a Percocet w/no score lines on it. How do people get down to a small dose that they KNOW what the dose is? I know pill-splitters work, but never cut pills evenly in half. Is the pill that soft that it cuts that easy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When you say you're getting bupe, do you mean name-brand Subutex, generic Subutex, or Suboxone? They are basically all bupe. I know suboxone is very soft and kind of hard to get the pieces evenly (the film will work much better for that), and I THINK I've heard that subutex is a bit harder, but honestly I just don't know. Some people use exacto knives or even razor blades in an effort to cut them evenly. Sorry I can't be of more help.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I will be getting the generic, thank god. It saves me over $300.00/month.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At higher doses (like 6mg) I just eyeballed the pill and cut it with a razor as closely as I could and figured that it would even out the next day when I took the other quarter(ish) piece of pill.

When I got below 4mgs, my doc prescribed the 2mg pills so I could be more accurate with cutting them. When I got below 1mg, I used the liquid method to measure my doses. There's a sticky thread about it in the Stopping Suboxone section.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the fast response. And I did read about the liquid taper. Thank god there is info on the 'net. I'm having surgery done, and the dr., nurse, nurse at the surgery hospital, and anetheseologist(sp) NEVER heard of Suboxone or Subutex. Or even Buprenorphine for that matter. Sad or scarry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I, personally, use a pill splitter, which does work fairly well, as long as I make a fast, hard 'chop', and that way the pill doesn't crumble. I take 1.5-2mg a day, so it gets a little more difficult once you have to break it down into pieces smaller than quarters, and sometimes the pieces will be a bit uneven, but nothing to be concerned with. I got my pill splitter from the grocery store for like $3, and it works really well most of the time. it did take me a while to be able to cut them up without them crumbling, but now I have no problems:) I recommend the pill- splitter. If you need to cut the pill any smaller than quarters, though, you may want to use an exacto knife for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The 2mg pills split pretty easily right down the middle, so it's easy to break your doses into multiples of 1. I'm currently taking 7mg daily, which is 3 and 1/2 tablets.

And actually, I taper rather slowly, because it's hard for me to taper and so next time I taper down it will be to 6.75mg, and I will do that by taking 3 and 1/4 tablets, because they are pretty easy to split the 1/2 pills in 1/2 again...I just use a straight razor blade. Works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That sounds easy enough. Plus, I already have a pill-splitter. I thank everyone again for responding so fast.

Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey man i am on the generic subutex (10mg/day) sometimes i might only take 6 sometimes maybe 12 just depends on any pain issues or some old habits that are hard to break. i have the 2's and they are very soft you have to be real careful. when you first get them they are the hardest so any splitting should be done then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of the chief reasons for pills getting soft is moisture. Are you by any chance keeping your pills in the bathroom? Especially if the ventilation is not the best, taking hot showers and having your pills in the bathroom will be the number one cause of pills getting soft. Otherwise, this should not happen to them - especially with a 30 day supply. They should be the same on day 29 as on day 2. Just something to consider and if need be, move your pills to a dryer location.

Post subject: Small Dose ?????
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

HI quadracersteve
Just wanted to jump in to let you know that some on here have diluted the pills in water and then split the water to get a more accurate reading??? I'm sure you could do a search on here and come up with the post I am referring to. Never tried it! Just a quick F.Y.I.. ......... Best of Luck and Please keep us posted!!

Take Care
TW