It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Does anyone else hate alcohol after they abuse opiates? I personally can't stand it I get chills, anxiety and a dirty feeling. I use to like alcohol actually before opiate addiction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I found this to be true for myself as well. And definitely since I started taking buprenorphine, alcohol is just plain gross and unappealing to me! I call it a nice side effect/ benefit, really:) imo, it's a benefit because I know that some addicts may turn to alcohol after starting suboxone to try to get the buzz they feel they are missing out on from no longer getting high on opiates, and develop a cross addiction. Not to mention that both opiates and alcohol are CNS depressants, that could be a potentially dangerous mix, and is advised against for all opiates.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I really think subs block some of the effect of alcohol. I used to drink pretty heavily before starting subs. Pretty much immediately after starting them I realized they don't mix well with alcohol. So yeah, I agree with lizzie, it's kind of an extra added benefit for some of us ;) I know for a fact that I could have easily slipped into drinking more and more, because that was my crutch when I was out of my DOC. Whenever I couldn't get my hands on any opiates, I would drink (and quite a bit honestly) to avoid feeling like crap. Which obviously backfired lol. Just made me feel worse.

For people that don't have this issue however, and do enjoy a drink here and there or even a crazy holiday or Saturday night....It can kind of be a bummer.