It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I first started taking subs about 3 years ago, people acted like the edema was just random and unrelated. Since that time, I've seen more and more people reporting this side effect, and now you can find many official MD websites listing this as a known side effect to Buprenorphine treatment.

I didn't think I'd be on subs this long, but frankly they're free for me with my insurance and they gave me my life back in so many ways, it's a last resort for me at this point to stop, thought I've tapered down significantly.

I know for a fact it's the subs causing my edema, when I first started the edema would develop like clockwork when taking subs and go away in a few days after stopping.

I've now had swollen legs for over 2 years, and it's just getting to be a source of great anxiety for me.

I've heard diuretics don't work for people with this side effect, but I've heard it helped a few. But I'm hoping maybe some studies I haven't been able to find have possibly pin pointed why this happens, it doesn't make much sense according to some doctors a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:02 am 

I don't know about any research first-hand. But our own Dr. Junig, creator of this forum, wrote a blog post about this very subject! Here is a link to the post:

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/leg-ede ... -suboxone/

I hope you find the information you're looking for!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, thank you but I am aware of his blog post and this is actually sort of in response to that. Namely that now that it's been a few years, I have noticed an overwhelming increase in reported cases of edema from buprenorphine when searching for information, so I was wondering if there was a shift in his attitude concerning it's correlation.

I've found that elevating my legs significantly higher than my waist when lying down for 8-10 hours when sleeping makes the swelling go way down. So far it's the only thing I've found to relieve the symptoms other than stopping all Buprenorphine intake completely.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I believe you are correct in that there have been enough reports of edema with Suboxone that it is now reported as a "known side effect". You really need to be under the care of a physician - someone in addition to your Sub doc if s/he isn't dealing with this. Having edema for 2 years is a pretty serious situation, you can't take it lightly or just try to treat it with OTC diuretics on your own. There could be something more contributing to it. Hope you get evaluated soon and come back and tell us what the outcome is. Good luck,
Lilly