It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I'm posting this new thread under MISC. because I don't know where else to post a possibly cuckoo subject like this.

Good music helped me SO much to make it through the absolute darkest days of my withdrawal. VH1 just happened to air a Stone Temple Pilots concert that I had the good fortune to record and those guys helped me to get through my worst nights when I didn't sleep at all or only got 2 hrs sleep. I would use the video to pass 1 hour of time and some nights it played four or five times in a row. Then I caught an Iron Maiden, live in Rio concert...now at least I had a choice between STP and Iron Maiden. Then I got the idea to record Rock Fest and had a nice assortment of kick ass music to help me make it through, from Joan Jett to Pearl Jam to Jimi Hendrix to Lincoln Park. Not only would the music keep my mind occupied and un-focused on my wd's, it gave me energy, fed my soul?? I can't even fully explain how it works for me, but it sure made me feel better.

I'm going to let a little of my crazy out of the box here and let all y'all know that music is like a religous experience for me. I went to church all of my youth and was never, ever moved by a sermon like a good song would move me. I think God is music, or that's how I hear Him best, through music. OK, time to close the box now.

As I type I have this awesome song by The Temper Trap called Fader blaring in my ears, it's a classic feel good song. Thanks Kinetix for turning me onto Fader.

Anyway, please, please someone post a reply who has had music help them or I'll have to re-register under an assumed name and reply to my own thread so I don't feel like a complete moron because no one else here feels like I do.

P.S--please feel free to name which songs have helped you. I love all music and would love to check out any new suggestions, don't be shy now, lay it on me.

Post subject: Music has power
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, you are not a moron. Music does wonders. For me it was not while I was in withdrawl but when I felt better like now on subs and antidepressants. I feel better about things and the music cheers me up and I don't think about anything else while I am listening to it.

Yesterday I played music almost 4 hous. Loud and proud of myself. It makes me happy. I was singing along, oh how wonderful.

We must do whatever feels good for us while in recovery. Addiction is very psychological and if the music helped you through, rock on! Whatever helps you make it through the night, right?

Love & hope Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I love music. I could not live without music. I totally agree that music can get you through the worst of times, and it makes the best times even better.

I made a thread about music & posted a bunch of videos - I was hoping other people would join in but nobody has yet. Please check it out and post some songs that you like!

Listen Here - It's About Music

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Music has become an indispensable part of human culture.Music comes in different formats, styles, and genres, and there are so many reasons why we love listening to it.Good music is calming and makes you comfortable, which is great for relaxation, study or reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:45 am 
I've always been a HUGE music fan. I have a huge vinyl collection...I have pretty much everything....When I first began to kick a few years ago in treatment and then for months after, I was finding, terribly, that music just didn't sound good or excite me the same way it had forever. Luckilly, I had an awesome Addiction Counselor who was like minded and part of my treatment became his borrowing me CD's, so I could rekindle my love. It started with Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed and Bob Marley to Wilco and Billy Bragg finally back to the punk and indie rock I grew up on like Dinosaur jr, Sonic Youth and Lifter Puller. Slowly I learned to love music clean, which is awesome. These days, I can go to a show and not be the guy asleep along the back wall!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 pm 

Romeo,

Great post my man! I love music but now knowing it has a healing effect it is one more tool I can use in my recovery. I do have several DVD's of live concerts and get totally lost in Paul McCartney's tour of the U.S. Being a big Beatle fan I sing at the top of my lungs through the whole thing. Talk about cathartic. I feel so much better afterwards.

You gave me an idea for a new subject. I'll post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I honestly can't quite put to words just how much music keeps me going on a day to day basis. Good music gives me energy, it improves my mood drastically and I just plain get to act silly while listening to it.

I've been listening to Seether, their song Broken (ft. Amy Lee) is GREAT and Gasoline by Seether totally rocks!! I'm bobbing my head back and forth singing the lyrics to Gasoline and hearing the music in my head right now!!

Ummmm, Rule62, are ya sure you want to post on a public forum that you're a Beatles fan?? :lol: