It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I gotta know. I hear all sorts of stories of people tapering off of Suboxone, but it seems like most if not all of those successes are people who don't work at all. Can anyone who has tapered off and did it while working a 50 hour a week job or demanding job share their story with me??

BTW- I don't have any intentions of tapering off anytime soon but i just wanted to hear some positive.

Oh and don't get me wrong i don't doubt tapering off without a job was not easy at all, i just wanted to hear from someone in a similar situation as mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't tapered (and don't plan to), but I wanted to encourage you to check out the liquid taper thread. Diary of a Quitter, one of our moderators, did a successful, slow, low, long, taper and I believe she works, goes to school, and is a mom. Her taper story is on that liquid taper thread. Lots of other people's stories are in that same thread (it's a long one).

I saw your other post about wanting to stay on sub long term, so I'm curious why you're asking about tapering when working so many hours?

I can tell you this, based on everything I've learned in the past 2.5 years - if one does a good taper - slow, with very small drops that can hardly be felt, then the acute and post-acute withdrawals will be greatly reduced. Some people have quit sub (with or without a good taper) and never missed a day's work. It's also good to stay active and distracted when in withdrawals. Most people who have gone through full agonist AND sub withdrawals will tell you that sub withdrawals are nothing compared to the withdrawals of full agonists.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Night- here's a little positivity for ya. When i tried to taper i wasnt working and it was almost impossible for me. All that free time on my hands made we want nothing but DRUGS!!!!!

Finally started working again, 6 days, sometimes 60 hr weeks when i actually quit. I am on day 10 this morning with no subs!!!!! Say it everyday i think BUT I FEEL GREAT. My tapering was a far from what ANYONE will recommend but will share just to give you some positive. You can check out some of my other posts as well but here it goes. Basically went from 16 mg ( although i was still often using opiates) to 4 mg. took 4 mg for 7 days and just made the jump the next morning. You have to really want it!!! I think that you can use your working schedule as an advantage to keep urself occupied and not let your mind take over! Sure motivation is going to be obsolete but you just gotta force yourself to do things and im TELLIN you its amazingly easier than what one would think!!! KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!!!
Look forward to hearin back!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Night,

I am in medical sales, i cover a huge territory, and travel a bunch. My job requires me to be "on" all the time and drive conversations, presentations, and meetings.

I tapered down and have been off of sub for almost a year.

I took my time tapering. From 16 mgs down to almost dust in a bout 2 years. I didn't rush it. If a day wasn't going well I'd take a little more. Days that I felt good and energized I'd take as little as possible. Each week or so I'd be taking less and less. On the weekends when I'd have a little more control of my life I'd try to take as little as possible also. There were good days and bad days. There are no free passes in nature so you have to fight through some crummy days. It's nothing like going off of pills or drugs C/T of course. Also, the fact that I took my time tapering gave my mind time to get right and gave me time to get myself right. I haven't had a single craving or anything since coming off. I really haven't.

Also, I didn't make my final jump while working. I took a 10 day vacation and went to Hawaii. I know not everyone can pull this off but I think at least taking the week off from work and planning to do something fun, active, and in nice weather if possible is a good idea.

One last thought. The last 10 months of being clean have been better and happier than my 5-6 years on pills/sub combined. See it through, get off of sub (if that's the right choice for you), and get busy living.

Post subject: Re: yep
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Interesting question. When i came to this board i had the impression that addicts dont work - in Denmark where i live i would say that ~90% of the addicts in treatment (methadon and free heroin mainly) is on welfare service- medicine allso covered.
But ive read alot of threads where people mention their jobs. Made me wonder.

As Hawker and newlife wrote, i think having a job might actually be helpfull for some during a detox. I know sitting at home doing nothing made me really restless after the first week or so. I allso came out with a "what the hell am i suppose to do with my life now" feeling, which i prolly wouldnt have had, if i had a job.
But taking a week off just after quitting, if you should decide that at some point, is probally a really good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hatmaker..........Just to clarify i was simply curious if someone has actually done it on a demanding job. Believe me I got no intentions of getting off sub any time soon. In fact i just went to my new doctor today and they are willing to work with me so this is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

And i wanted to thank you all for your posts. Newlife and Hawker too. i like hearing the positive not all the negativity about "how i went through 3 weeks of withdrawal and i want to die". i've been to several other sites and i gotta say this seems to be the best.

.....and I was Night on all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:08 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Night- you are completely right about this being the best forum. I FIRMLY believe that. Its like ive replaced my addiction to opiates/ subs w/ a new addiction..... Im glued to my phone/computer reading this stuff all day long and it has been a blessing. Honestly i can tell everyone who has read my posts and responded, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!. IF i start to feel a litttle down i just log on and read and it all seems to go away!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:29 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I also am in medical sales but I work at home, I feel best when I am busy on days when I am not so busy I tend to dwell on the wd.............my best days ( still tapering taking .25 mg skipping every third day started my taper in jan from 8mg) are the days I am busy or have stuff to do. For me its harder trying to get motivated working at home when wd's are hitting me.. sometimes I wish I had to go to the office just to force myself to not dwell on it all
But then again the advantage of working here is I can take hot baths and showers all day long which help the symptoms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey MG,

Yeah I get to work from home sometimes too. I always felt like the home days were the toughest during the taper. It's so true that when you are home you have time to think about it more. Sales is also tough because your mood can be effected so heavily based on how sales are going. Day to day my mood and overall well being could change on a dime based on a sale made or sale lost.... luckily during my taper i was doing well and that helped.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello all! I have been reading the posts for several weeks now and am ready to tell you my story--
I was taking suboxone for 15 months. I had an addiction to norco- for neck/shoulder pain. I was getting 100 pills prescribed every 2 weeks. I also had a prescription for vicodin for my endometriosis pain. So I went to the sub dr. Paid too much of course, as he didn't take my insurance. Anyways-I had zero sex drive, was tired all the time, late to work so much.
My dr. Told me that none of those side effects were from the sub. Had scheduled hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. Sub dr. Told me I could take the sub. Until the day of surgery-biggest mistake of my life. I only was taking 2 mg film a day. That didn't seem to be a problem for him-giving me that as advice. When I came out of surgery nothing worked for pain. I was on a morphine pump and that did nothing. The dr. And hospital were aware of my meds. I was told in recovery-wow, you must take a lot of pain meds. Are u kidding me? I wasn't taking anything except for suboxone.
Went home with vicodin for pain. Didn't help much because my receptors were blocked. Then I got hooked again within a few days. Got another script, when that ran out I was sick as a dog. I decided to go back on sub at .67 mg. I had film so I cut it down. I knew I couldn't do it cold turkey from vicodin-it is too addicting for me. I would just want more and more. I was so angry thinking about the pain I was in for a simple surgery. I have had 3 c-sections, this wasn't supposed to be that bad. So I weaned myself from .67 down to about .25. I set the goal for 2 weeks to get there. And I made it! Today is now actually day 6, it took me 3 days to finish this.

I am not against sub! Just wished I would have stopped a long time ago-- music does really help. I can feel the music and a sex drive back!! Too bad I have to wait three more weeks for the SEX!
Stay strong. Your mind is worth it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi SherGonnastop,

Congratulations on quitting suboxone!! 6 days out...good for you!! How are you feeling? Do you have any wd symptoms?

I hear ya on the music thing....while on Suboxone or any opiate, I just didn't seem to enjoy my music like I used to. I am happy to say that I am back to Rockin' Out like a mad man!! Oh yeah, getting the old sex drive back is always a big bonus too!!

Post subject: Night
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I absolutely believe you can taper whenever you are ready to do that, while maintaining a demanding job. I even think it may help you to be working so much. I'd seriously recommend that you figure out the lowest dose you need to cover you (cravings, etc.) Just don't take any more than you need to. That will help you out tons in the end when/if you decide to start a taper. And when/if you do decide to taper, give yourself a very, very long time so you won't have to feel icky. I firmly believe that if I were a patient person, I could do an entire Sub taper with nearly no symptoms. It would take me two years, but I would get next to no symptoms....pretty sure about that.

laddertipper

Post subject: You can do it!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:48 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Romeo! I feel tired, dragging major ... Do you think it is from wd or surgery? I have lower back pain, off and on. Sneezing like a cat with a hair ball in my throat! Funny and nasty at the same time. I am home from work now, but teach and have 3 kids. So it has been less stressful being off work. My mind feels a lot clearer, but I wish my body would be stronger. I swear that stuff was an upper for me, but then I would come down and feel like crap. I take a little clonidine at night. I have terrible restless legs. I slept for almost 2 days when I first stopped. Then stopped the clonidine during the day. So just at night before bed, I will just take 1/2 of .1 mg. Have Xanax and ibuprofen for the aches. My counselor told me that excedrin works better? What do you think? Plus I feel like a smelly ass-sweaty! Is that normal? How long before it all goes away? I just want my life back- normal would be great. I will never go back to opiates or sub!! Just can never go back there again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey SherGonnastop,

What you just described sounds exactly like Suboxone wd to me. You said you were feeling tired, dragging....check. You said you were getting the sneezies....check. Terrible Restless Legs.....check. Smelly ass-sweaty....yuck....ooops....I mean check. :D You are in withdrawal my friend, no doubt about it.

OK, about the Clonidine....Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that is prescribed 'off label' for opiate wd. It is NON-ADDICTIVE, NON HABIT FORMING, don't worry about taking Clonidine!! If I were you, I would go back to twice a day dosing with the Clonidine. I took Clonidine, .1mg, twice daily for months and months and stopped taking it without issue!! Clonidine is WAY safer than Xanax. You know Xanax is a POWEWRFUL drug, right? You know Xanax is/can be addictive, right? Anyway, I just wanted you to know the Clonidine is really a safe med to take for opiate wd, it's pretty effective too.

You asked how long it would be before your symptoms go away, I would love to tell you that it will be 8 days, 3 hours and 59 minutes before the symptoms all go *poof* and disappear, but that's just not how this dang Suboxone wd works. I know, frustrating ain't it....crap, I should use better english, I forgot I'm talking to a teacher....sorry I said ain't!! Crap, sorry I said crap too....dang, I said it twice now!! :lol:

Hey, what do you teach, if you don't mind me asking. Do you teach grade school? My parents were both teachers....at the school I went to, I know...YIKES!! I was supposed to have my mother for a math teacher in grade 10, but she switched me out of her class because she knew I would drive her insane.....I had a tendency to be a major smart ass back in high school.

SherGonnastop, why don't you PM a moderator and ask them if they'll copy your questions and any replies back to you out of this thread and into your very own thread. I would think that you are going to have a lot more questions as your wd continues and they would all be neat and tidy in one thread that way.....teachers like neat and tidy right? :D I'm sure that Mr. Night, the original poster of this thread doesn't really mind that we're chatting in his thread, but it would still be nice for you to have your own thread....even if you are a teacher! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Romeo,

I am not an English teacher relax-science my friend. Yes I will pm a moderator. Don't worry about the wordage! I am an addict, getting better of course, but please- don't treat me as any goodie too shoes- I am far from that. I know Xanax is addictive, but I do not enjoy that by any means, so I am not worried. As far as clonidine, it makes me sleep all day. I can't handle that. Last nite I took ambien and requip to sleep. It worked great. I see my ob tomorrow, and will be calling the psych dr today to say goodbye. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.