It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I decided to get back into the suboxen program a few weeks ago. Found a Dr and told him that that I wanted to switch from pain pills back to suboxen. I have chronic pain in my back. He started talking to me about bunavail. He said it was a new medicine that he thought would be better. My question is has anyone else tried it and do you think it works as well

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is a step up in many ways. The absorption of buprenorphine is doubled, compared to Suboxone film. That is achieved by a double-layer design that protects the buprenorphine from being rinsed away by saliva. More buprenorphine gets into the circulation, and less in the gut-- so there are fewer GI side effects (like constipation).

The other advantage is that a person can talk while dosing without having any effect on absorption. It is more discreet in that way.

I've had patients who didn't like the way the outer layer 'balls up' in a small piece of gum, about 10 minutes after dosing. They are used to holding Suboxone in the mouth forever, and worry when the outside comes off the inner cheek... but they have to understand that the buprenorphine layer is absorbed much more quickly than they are used to. By the time the outer part falls off, the buprenorphine is long-gone.

We'll see if insurance starts covering it-- that will be the main issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have tried it. Only was on it for a couple days. The flavor tasted a little weird at first, but getting used to it, I think it's better than the orange tabs, strips, or white subutex tabs. I really like that since it sits inside your cheek, your can talk and not worry about it dissolving too quick.

As far as strength goes, it supposedly has better bioavailability, but I still don't consider a 4.3 bunavail as strong as an 8mg suboxone strip or subutex tab. So i'd need to take 1.5 to 2 bunavail to make it equal. But its fine if you are going to take lower doses.

Personally, for me its all about cost. The taste, and how its administered really are not important to me whatsoever. The only thing that matters is how much I need to spend to maintain myself. If I can save money on the Bunavail (while making up for the dosage difference) ill switch. If not, I won't.