It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I really need to get off of suboxone and a friend said that if you use small doses of oxycodone then you wont have any withdrawls from the suboxone. I have been on suboxone for 5 years. The doctor I was getting it from says some people need it for the rest of their lives. Well I went to go to my appointment and the receptionist said the doc no longer excepts medicaid so you have to pay or you cant see him however he will give you one month of meds. I have felt ready to come off of it since my 3rd year of being sober but I listened to him now I feel like he is throwing me to the wolves. The thing I really dont understand is I went to rehab for alcohol but because I had opiates in my system they put me on this. I know that addicts are suceptable to abuseing any drug and That could happen if I use the oxycodone but everyone i talk to say it is alot easier to come off of the oxy then the suboxone. I havent even started the taper yet I would love to get some opinions first. I am on 24mgs a day PLEASE i need all the info I can get. Thanks. :?: :?: :?: :?: :D :) :( :o :lol: 8) :shock: :x :P :oops: :cry: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :!: :idea:[b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello felica,

sorry all that junk is going down with your doc. in my opinion you are in a good position to stretch your meds out for several months. there are many people who have gone from 24mg to 16mg to 8mg with no noticeable difference. there is a great article about the ceiling level of sub and how doses above it do not have much effect - some believe that to be around 4mg but everyone is different. personally i went from 8 mg to 1.5 mg over 3 months with nothing noticable at all. the quicker you get to 8mg your meds will last 3 months, to 4mg it will last 6 months. if you got to 2mg it would last you a year! etc... since i tapered - an 8mg per day prescripion lasts almost 6 months. are you on the films? imo they are much easier to accurately cut than the tablets but you can still do it either way. i highly suggest tapering to 8mg asap or even 12mg. i bet you could do it in a very short time. i would just try to take 12mg like tomorrow! , and if that is not ok than take 4 more mg if you feel bad BUT it should take about 3-4 days or more to notice any change due to the very long half life esp at such a high dose so mje sure its not just mental. i will post you some links in a bit to a ceiling article and a thread by one of our members "laddertipper" who tapered of a high dose just like you after 6 years on sub! she too was not on sub for opiate addiction either, its a very good read and will help you, i just need to find it...

suboxonetalkzone.com is a great blog by dr junig, the creator of this site and forum. check out the "best of" section

please dont do the oxy thing, it will hurt you more in the end not b/c of getting hooked on it but it may worsen the withdrawal, you have been on sub a long time and need to come of slow.

:)

-gb

Last edited by glen bee on Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree, please don't use oxy to help with suboxone withdrawals. That's going from the frying pan into the fire, in my opinion. Suboxone is meant to be used to taper off meds like oxy, not the other way around.

I second everything else that glen bee said, too.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your doctor has put you in a horrible situation. If I were you, I'd come up with the money to pay him or I'd beg him for more pills so you can do a proper taper or start looking around for another Suboxone doctor ASAP so you can taper properly.

There's a link at the top of this page called Find Suboxone Doctors, it will help you locate a new Suboxone doctor if that's what you need.

Also, like Glen Bee said, I'd start cutting my Suboxone dose immediately. A lot of Suboxone doctors have waiting lists that take longer than a month to get in.

If you get enough Suboxone, you can do a proper taper and getting off of Suboxone by doing a proper taper is much easier than getting off of oxy's.

As far as using oxycodone to get off of Suboxone, that's playing with fire. You're much more likely to get burnt doing that than to come out unscathed. Also, I think if you run the numbers on how much those oxy's are going to cost you, you'd find out you could use that money to pay for your next Suboxone doctor visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I guess everyone is different.. Coming off subs was a walk in the park compared to coming off Roxies for me.. I guess the reason being is that with the subs you can taper and with the other stuff you can't- well, I couldn't anyway.. I guess what I'm saying is don't believe everything you hear.. Just because it was harder for someone else to come off subs doesn't mean it will be as hard for you..

I agree with Romeo- try to scrape together enough cash to do as long of a taper as you can.. I say no to the oxy's because I've read that that confuses your receptors and slows down the healing that needs to occur.. That's in laymen terms by the way- someone much smarter than me can explain it better..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello. I am new and still learning to navigate about this forum.But I just wanted to say no on using oxy to get away from the sub! You are only asking for another addiction that would be much worse. You need to try and taper as slow as you feasibly can. MD's should not put us in this situation. Some MD's even have samples they can share in a case like this. Good luck, and Godspeed. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I'm new here- Although NOT new at all to the topic! Suboxone has been a part of my life now for 5+ yrs. Prior to 5 yrs ago, I had to seek and search- A full time job REMINISCENT of my addiction to opiates which finally forced me to seek legal RX's.. It was always seek and find. No fun there. I too have heard about "mixing it up", to "confuse" your body. Though not reccomended, There are DR.s that "kind of" do that. Treat the symptoms to ease the pain. BP med's and anxiety meds. All I can say at this point is- Be careful. I would love to come off of subox w/out my abnormal w/d symptoms. I've tried. But everyBODY is diff, and reacts accordingly.

Fear is the thief of dreams- a wonderful qote, I feel. So true, too.

God Bless, Good Luck. Spread the word, as you can, of anything that is of help- I still wonder why this can be so confusing and convoluted- Why? who knows. There are so many people quick to judge when they, themselves, have never expierenced anhything remotely like addiction and it's torments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hellow MishnaDew, and welcome to the forum. I really like that quote that you posted!