It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So I recently relapsed, was using for several months until I decided to go back on my suboxone, same doctor, same clinic. I think how I left the program last time may have had some type of effect the way I was treated yesterday morning.

Anyway, they sent me a check-in time of 7:45 AM at the clinic to meet with my doctors nurse. I got there at about 7:51, meaning I was 6 minutes late. I really didn't think anything of it, but as soon as I heard my name called I came up to the nurse, and almost immediately get b*tched at - she goes "You're a half hour late!" and I say "Um...you sent me a check-in time of 7:45?" "The receptionist told you to be here a half hour early, you're off to a bad start kid!" and "We're the ones taking you back, the least you could have done was show up on time, it's a sign of respect!"

Obviously I was taken aback by this womans nasty attitude - here I am voluntarily seeking help for my addiction, and I get treated like a scumbag drug addict from the start. It may not seem significant to some of you, but the way this nurse spoke to me and treated me has really been getting under my skin. I'm thinking about filing some type of grievance with the hospital - not about my sub doctor, or any of her other nurses, just the one who treated me yesterday.

I've only been back on buprenorphine for a day, and I already feel overwhelmed, anxious, and uncertain this is even going to work out for me.

Who else has had to deal with this? Mean nurses and jerk doctors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi ODS,
I have experienced this from a pharmacist dispensing my subs a few yrs ago. I have talked about this before, but in short, this guy would see me enter and start up the fucking vacuum. He was eventually fired for his discriminatory attitude.
Unfortunately there's is a certain vulnerability attached to being on the program. We are often at the mercy of more than one health professional and a system that is punitive instead of progressive. If we were at the receiving end of such behaviour in completely different circumstances we would likely speak up and take our business elsewhere. Instead we have to tread carefully.
Thankfully I have an awesome DR now!
Don't let your experience with someone out of line cloud your decision to take subs. I would give it more time and if you feel compelled to put forward a complaint,do so.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:41 pm 

IMO, I would leave well enough alone. If you start up any grievance with them you risk being dismissed and will have to find a new doctor.

Everyone has bad days so just chalk it up to that. You don't know what is going on in the receptionists world so it's best to just suck it up. Is it worth the battle if you end up being the bigger loser after all the dust has settled?

My way to get what I want in the world is to always be polite. Next time make sure you're there ½ hour early so as to avoid the scorn. Remember, what you put out comes right back at you. Pay the person a compliment and see how well you'll be treated then. I've used that tactic many times to stop an angry person from going off on me. We are all human and we all have problems aside from work. Tell yourself that they are having a hard time and it's not you. It is probably the truth.

Recover well,

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm..... how to say something without sounding like a rude sub doctor....

I like Rule's approach. I often tell my wife that it is SO easy to be a 'nice' sub doctor, because there are so many jerks out there! All I have to do is act fairly reasonable most of the time, and people act like I'm some nice guy!

In the same way, it is SO easy to be a great 'sub patient.' Many patients these days have an entitled attitude (yes, just like doctors), come late for visits or miss them entirely, act rude on the phone.... that if a patient simply acts appreciative and polite, that patient will stand out in a great way. That same thing goes for employees too.

Saying more in this setting raises the risk of sounding critical. But I'm trying to do YOU a favor, by giving you insight into how you are perceived. Understand that in Fortune 500 companies, people pay big bucks for the consultants who come in and help executives get a look at how they are viewed by others... so please realize that you are anonymous, and I have no bone to picck with you!! Use this, or if it doesn't apply, ignore it. The thing that caught my attention in a negative way was where you wrote 'here I am seeking voluntarily help for my addiction.' The comment causes me to wonder if you think, on some level, that you are doing someone a favor by seeking treatment. That type of attitude would surely irritate people at the office-- because the truth is that they are helping YOU-- not the other way around.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I'm sure expectations don't help either--- you expecting someone to say 'good job', and them expecting someone to say 'thank you so much for helping me!' In reality, it's hard to be nice in withdrawal, and its hard to be nice when the last patient yelled at you... so maybe just move on and start over the next day...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't want to assume or jump to conclusions with the OP but in general it is amazing to me how so many people under the age of 25 feel so entitled just in life. Everyone owes them this or that. Where does this come from?

In specifics to this question, why is it assumed this nurse treated you poorly because you are a sub patient? It's seems much like the assumption by some that they are treated a certain way due to their race. I'd say you were treated this way because you were late - not because of drugs.

That said, she should not have treated you or anyone in this manner for being a few minutes late. I just would not say it was due to drug addiction. I'd say, get all your shit together, show up on time and do what is asked of you. Then if she does it again, I'd ask to speak with her suppvisor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

There's a few things I'd like to clarify:

Please don't assume I'm an immature jackass, I'm 28, not under the age of 25. I also don't feel like "someone owes me a living" or anything of that sort, even though I've been through hell because of my addiction I also hold a job, pay my bills, have a family, etc, etc.

I was in the wrong by being late, sure. The nurse was a bitch, as a matter of fact, has always been bitchy every time I've been in there. My brother is also in this program (same clinic, same doctor) and has told me that she's treated him poorly as well.

Another thing you should probably know, I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN POLITE, and AM POLITE every time I've went in there, and have been nothing but. No I haven't filed a complaint, come to think of it, it's been several weeks since this incident and I kind of forgot about it until I logged in here.

So thanks for the advice, I guess I don't appreciate the assumptions, but I kind of brought that on myself, didn't I.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i know this thread it old, but I thought I would throw out my experience.

The office I go to had a WONDERFUL and PATIENT doc. The staff on the other hand are abrupt, rude, slow to solve problems, aloof, and talk loudly and badly about other patients in the office so that everyone else can hear. But I put up with them because the doc is so great. My way to deal with them had ALWAYS been to be extra polite, compliment them (I loved the OP suggestion about that because it is so true, a compliment will most surely turn a bad mood around), bring in treats on special occasions, etc. This has immensely helped with their attitude towards me. They are definitely still bitchy, but I also just think this is their nature and normal demeanor so I can't really take it personally now can I?

Also, I feel that over the years I, myself, have become less worried about how the fact that I am on subs looks to other people, quite frankly anymore, I just don't care what you think. Now it has taken me A LONG time to get to this type of thinking, I was so worried at first about how i was perceived by others because of this medication. Now I just don't give a damn what you think.

So i also think that thinking helps in how i deal with the rude office staff, I am able to set my personal feelings aside because I do not think or do not care that it is about me being on subs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I never have a problem with the office I go to. but when it comes to the Pharmacy I go to ///HOLEY SHIT// do i have a problem with them. they are always so rude and judgemental....

but when it comes to your office it should be welcoming and make you feel like here ready to help you get in and out...
my sub doc office is the best doctor and office people i have ever had the pleasure with dealing with...

we have this relationship where they can joke with me and i can joke with them along with the doctor. they make fun of me in front of other paitients and guests. when I walk in they automatically say " oh great Que is here" Que is my nick name. one time i said if they keep messing with me i was going to give them a stool sample instead of a urin sample... and every time the doctor knocked on my door when im in a room he says " House keeping" like david spaid off tommy boy....I am always eager to go to the doctors office....but im aolways in fear after i like because my pharmacy NEVER has my meds....NEVER..not once have they had my full script... every single month they only have lik 10 or 5 until their truck....which i know i dont need them all in once day. its just the point they never are ready even tho i get the same script every month on the same week...irritates me,,,