It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Happy to report...
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have recently passed the 6th month mark off suboxone and 10 months since "active addiction". I am so grateful for this humbling experience. It wasn't easy at first, the first month I didn't know if I could do it. But I kept pushing through (the only way out is THROUGH, right?) and here I am. And quite honestly, my recovery is not a huge part of my life. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to fight the good fight every day. I don't have to take it day by day. I rarely even think about it at all, except when I experience one of my few triggers - and even then, it's not a feeling of nostalgia, it's a feeling of disgust. Disgust that I ever allowed myself to be a slave to those oxycodones.

Both physically and mentally, it's like I was never dependent on opiates. After about 2-3 months, I felt physically normal and didn't experience any long lasting PAWS (just during that first month).

Whether you choose suboxone as life-long maintenance or use it temporarily, I feel forever indebted to it. It honestly made getting out of my addiction so much easier than I anticipated. I don't know how I would've done it without my doctor and without my suboxone. And of course, my loving support system.

Anyways, just wanted to pop in and let y'all know, if you're trying to get off suboxone, it's totally doable and there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.

XOXOX

"the only way out is through"

Post subject: Re: Happy to report...
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good to hear from you again and thanks for the update!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Im hoping to be able to make a thread like this before the end of the summer. I've been debating back and forth now for a long time and trying to list the pros and cons and honestly there are more checks in the cons column now so its time for me to start the process. Im on 3.5 mgs and am planning on lowering by.25 at a time going at a rate of like 1mg a month and then take the plunge. I'm assuming I'm gonna be hurting pretty bad regardless because Ive been on it for 4 years in july which is honestly terrifying me when I think about it. I just don't buy the theory that a guy on it for years is not gonna have it any different than a guy on and identical dose for just a month. I hope to god its true but I know its not.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Coming from a guy who was on it for four years as well, I understand your hesitation. I jumped at basically 2 MG when I stopped and expected the wd to be horrendous. In all honesty the day to day symptoms were very manageable with clonididne and exercise. The first week was definitely the most difficult, but really, in comparison to a full agonist "difficult" really isn't the word to describe it. Yes, everyone is different, but sub detox is not the horror that so many described it to be. The payoff is completely worth it. It's amazing to start a new life and see the changes in mental and physical health that come with sobriety.

Prodigy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the encouraging words, sometimes that makes all the difference. You are correct in that I have read pretty much nothing but horror stories, I think researching sub withdrawal online is the worst thing a person can do if they are trying to quit. Everywhere you read its like "if you've been on subs over a year your endorphins are never gonna heal you'll be withdrawaling for over a year or more" blah blah blah and its just so demotivating to read things like that. Ive been on Im hoping the fact that Ive never really taken more than half an 8mg pill a day (or a bit under) is gonna help make it a bit easier than say someone on 16mgs the whole time but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It seems the lower you get, the easier It is. I can tell you that no matter what dose you drop at, the detox Is nowhere near as painful as kicking dope or oxy. Those DT's are unbearable. Staying active and keeping busy got me through the worst of it. Sleep was hard to come by in the beginning, but that was the worst of it. Don't let horror stories scare you, there are plenty of success stories out there and those are the ones you should be reading. Wish you the best of luck, and keep updates, going back to read your progress is helpful, as you can see how far you have come!

Prodigy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Glad to hear, you sound like the perfect person to help me if you don't mind, can we talk please?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sure thing man (if it's me you are referring to) just shoot me a PM I'll do my best to answer any questions.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Justin,

Was that to me or prodigy? I, too, am happy to help in any way, just let me know.

"the only way out is through"