It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My husband and I took a class last weekend to qualify for a Handgun Carry Permit in our state. We still have to register at the DMV for the actual permit. We were told to take our Birth Certificate, ID and fees to the state office and we would be fingerprinted and have a background check ran for felony convictions. Of which I have none...so I thought, no big deal. But as I was reading the website I found this

QUALIFICATIONS THAT MUST BE MET BEFORE APPLYING FOR HANDGUN CARRY PERMIT
•Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;

I have not been a patient in any rehab facility. I am not an unlawful user nor have I been hospitalized for abuse or addiction.
Does this apply to me? Will they somehow know that I am a patient under the care of a primary care physician who is treating me with suboxone? Will any of this show up in a background check?

My guess is no...but I would like to hear from anyone else who has any knowledge on the subject.

Post subject: We'll Find Out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:17 am 

I too am going to take the CCW course in my state and read the same thing as you. My guess is also no. There isn't a drug test but they will do a background check that mainly checks for arrests and for what.

Wasn't there a question on it that asked about being an alcoholic or drug addict? Thought I saw that one. I will have to do some soul searching in able to answer all the questions honestly.

When are you taking the course?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I took the course on Saturday. And I have to add I kicked ASS at the gun range! 100% score!

There was absolutely nothing mentioned in the class about medical history having any bearing on the permit. I was assuming that I wouldn't have any problems with the background check because I have no record of any legal troubles. But then I found that on the website...but as long as nothing is pulled about medical history or prescription records they would have no way of knowing that I was taking anything right?

Also, by the time I actually receive the license I will be clean from the suboxone...so, depending on how you read that bullet point I posted I might not even have to lie.

I have no problem submitting to a background check as long as they don't pull medical records as well. I thought that was all protected by HIPPA.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think it varies from state to state but I remember reading an article in the atlanta newspaper and they show a few things that prevent you from owning a gun. They are pretty much the same as your wrote, horsegal.

I wish I could find the article but one of the things I remember seeing was something like this, you are not eligible to purchase a firearm if:
1) You are a felon
2) You were treated for drug addiction in an inpatient facility or treated for a mental illness in the last 5 years
3) Received a charge for anything drug related or violated any laws involving a firearm in the past 5 years.

They're in place for the overall greater good, since these laws help prevent some psychos from buying a firearm who have no business getting one. Unfortunately, there are a lot of good people that are placed in the category not allowed to buy a firearm for one reason or another that is either a flaw in the system or a charge wrongfully given.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fireman.....

I think you misunderstood. NONE of those things applies to me. I HAVE NOT been in trouble with the law. I HAVE NOT been treated in an inpatient facility. And for that matter by the time I get my permit I will be off the suboxone all together.

Just wanted to clarify. That's why I think this is not going to apply to me. I think I will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Should actually be: Can one carry a handgun permit while coming OFF suboxone? That is the question. :lol:

QUALIFICATIONS THAT MUST BE MET BEFORE APPLYING FOR HANDGUN CARRY PERMIT
•Shall not be detoxing or tapering off of any opiates including, but limited to, Suboxone, Subutex or Methadone.

(Ok, it should be a crime to be this funny so early in the morning.)

Last edited by tinydancer on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy Crap TD.....

Tapering off Suboxone....AND PMS!!!!!!! I am LOOKING for some ***hole to carjack me! Bring it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NO guns for the tired and weary taperers, please!!

(or PMSers. Good call, horsegirl)

I think this should be put into some kind of official legislation. STAT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ha! You guys are too funny!
Qhorsegal, I think it's great you're getting your concealed carry permit! I don't believe you'll have any problems passing the background check because (thankfully) I don't think we're at the point (yet) where the authorities can invade our privacy to the extent of getting our medical information.
You probably are aware, but be prepared for a wait to receive your permit. My daughter just went through the training and got hers and it took a good bit longer than she'd expected. Although we don't live in Florida, that's the state hers is from...she said getting it from Florida made her 'legal' to carry in more states and involved a little less costly & time-consuming training. I think that because of that, Florida is particularly back logged.
Anyway...congrats on passing the testing! And continued good luck on finishing your Sub taper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How about no guns for women......period!! Y'all are scary enough without a dang firearm in your posession!!!!

Uh Oh, I'm about to get shellacked, aren't I? :lol:

Post subject: No prob
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had my gun permit for 10 years and have never had any issue of the medication I am on. Just don't tell a stinking liberal!!! Ha. Libs ruin everything!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Uh Oh, I'm about to get shellacked, aren't I? :lol:

There you go being bad again,

Let's look at it this way. Your wife and daughter are at home ALONE. Someone is trying to break into the back door. In your "perfect world" with women not having access to a gun because of a stupid inferiority complex that some MAN put into legislation...your family will be forced to wait on the nearest police officer who is sitting 15 miles from your home when they receive the call for assistance. They will arrive after the man has gained entry to your home, just in time to take statements. (obviously this is best case scenerio, no need to put bad energy out there right?)

In my version every responsible household has at least one weapon to protect their family. Each adult member of that household has been well trained with that weapon. When the man tries to break into the back door your wife hears him, calmly picks up her gun, and approaches the door. She yells out to the man that she is armed and will shoot if he does not leave immediately. If he is smart he will retreat, if he is bent on doing her or your child harm he will continue trying to get in. The difference is that when he gets the door open this time he is met with a loud blast and your wife an child are unharmed. Notice that because she is a bad ass like me she never lost her composure. She was in fear for her life and she protected it herself instead of waiting on a MAN to do it for her. 8)

Of course you will also have to sleep with one eye open from now on. You just MIGHT be mistaken for an intruder next time you come home late...tough call huh?

Silly boys, guns are for GIRLS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No guns for me, please.

If a man breaks into my house, I have other weapons I can use. I -NOT- afraid.

Whoever breaks into my house should be afraid. Very afraid. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I was just listing, to my knowledge, the things that will prevent you from getting a gun and it didn't mention anything about being on any medications. In my opinion, there are probably some meds that should prevent people from being able to get a firearm concealed permit with all of the corrupt doctors nowadays.

I feel like it is a liability giving a gun to someone in public who is on an extremely high dose of a benzo, like Xanax, or someone with a severe case of schizophrenia. I don’t mean bearing arms inside a home but more specifically the concealed permit. With regard to the benzos there'd be no practical way of weeding one person over another since that is the doctor's responsibility to determine if someone really needs it, but we all know how pill mills work...

It would be a disgrace if you or anyone else couldn’t have a permit

I applaud you for exercising your rights!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was just teasing at ya, Horsey!!

We own a gun, a bad ass .357 and I've taught both my wife and daughter to shoot it. We also have a dog, a bad ass Cocker Spaniel. If the gun don't get the intruder, the dog will piss all over him and that will surely send him running for the hills!!

BTW, did you notice it took a MAN to teach the girls how to shoot.....did ya catch that!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Poor Romeo,

I finally figured out why you are writing all this masculine nonsense...it's the hypnosis isn't it? That monkey fetish turned into delusion didn't it? I'm sorry...Dr. Horsey says take TWO bananas and call me in the morning. That should fix YOU!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NOT......FUNNY!!!! NOT FUNNY, NOT FUNNY!!! Will this monkey thing EVER go away?

(K, the part about the bananas was pretty funny!!! LOL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

LOL....Ha! Forget the gun topic, this whole thread is freaking hilarious!.... You guys are great :)

Girls with guns... Mmmm :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, back to the original intent of this post...

I went yesterday and sent in the application for the permit. As far as I know all of my requirements have been met now so I should know in about 6-9 weeks. I don't expect any problems but I will let everyone know when I get my permit in the mail!

Post subject: UPDATE!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got my license in the mail today! My husband came in with the mail and said.."I am so mad right now I could spit.."

Immediately my old addict brain began to panic...what the hell did I do now?

He threw the state envelope in my lap and said..."you got yours before I got mine!" LOL!!!!!!

Watch out bad guys, Mama's got a new 9mm and a license to carry! :D :D :D :D :D