It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on 6mg for 2 weeks, dropped down from 12mg, 2 weeks at a time. I was due to drop to 4mg the end of the week but I have had to put a halt to it as some bad thoughts have arisen. More than bad thoughts really - I had it all planned - how I was going to take a shed-load of pills to see if they would work now that I was on a lower dose. :shock: :(

I had been playing with the idea without realising for a few days, I think. It was when I started planning the actualities around my 2 weekly visit to the nurse and my urine screen, it hit my like a tonne of bricks what do was up to!

It took a bit of doing, but I phoned the drugs team and got an appointment there and then. We talked lots of stuff through which has helped enormously. I won't be dropping any lower for the time being. I may even go back up to 8mg as the cravings started when I dropped to 6mg.

It was just such a SHOCK, wanting to use again. I mean, it WAS a daily thing, but for the past 6 or 7 months the cravings had gone! Completely!! Unfortunately I had let myself believe that all I had to do now, after such a "long" period drug-free, was to taper off the Subutex and I would be home free. Drugs would never be an issue again. HA!! What a tube-steak!!

Well at least I will be prepared when I re-start my taper. Its all been a bit scary though. A small part of me wants to just stay on 8mg forever and never have the worry again! Hmmm...?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I can't remember exactly when I stopped having the desire to use on suboxone, but it definitely took awhile. I was on it for 5 years and by the end using opiates was a total after thought. I would never have even considered it.

Its kind of strange because you need time to normalize your life and move away from the drugs, but the longer you take suboxone the harder it becomes to get off of it. If possible I would recommend very slowly moving toward about 4mg and staying there for awhile. This was the dose I remember doing the best on personally. It was never enough to get me "high" and it dealt with the cravings. Its easy for me to say though because I can't remember ever taking more then about 10mg a day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there Kanzeon,

Not sure how fast you were tapering, but for me I never dropped until I had stabilized for a good 3 weeks....maybe you were dropping too fast? Or maybe you dropped by too high a percentage? Some people can tolerate higher drops, but I think as low as 10% works well for many people.

Anyway, it is really great that you caught yourself and got some help! Well done!! :D
IMO, you don't have to stay on subs 'forever'. But perhaps a slower taper as you "normalize your life' like Tiki said would make more sense.

Peace,
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes! There is that. I picked up the phone and got help which was exactly what I was supposed to do as per my sobriety plan. So in a way everything's going to plan...sort of?

I think the main thing is I don't have to make any snap decisions. And I will give some serious thought now to a more gentle or more spaced taper - and to think I was wanting to go quicker! :roll:

Thanks guys!