It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hair loss on Suboxone???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone for almost 4 solid years and my hair is thinning a LOT, I have/had very thick hair and now its thin. I have about two hand fulls come out every time I wash my hair. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also no sex drive at all, mouth sores, and fatigue which from what I have read here are common and can I say that sucks!! I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything but may have to think of a different approach if these side effects dont subside soon, and apparently they aren't going anywhere after all this time. Any thoughts will be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you had your TSH (thyroid) levels checked? I had the fatigue and hair loss and it turned out that I was hypothyroid. As soon as I got on medication I felt 100% better. Opiates can have an effect on your endocrine system, so it's probably worth looking into.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is going to sound a bit off topic but I had the same on an antidepressant citalopram.

I searched the internet and found only one post off someone who had had the same problem and there doctor had recommended a multivitamin tablet high in a cert vitamin b, it may have been b12, but not certain. Anyway it was Centrum over 50s as those have extra high counts of that vitamin and it really worked for me. By the way, I dont work for Centrum, I expect any over 50's vitamin supplemnt will do, its just that that was the one the post said

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, i was wondering too if anyone else has this problem. Everytime i went in the shower ended up with a couple handfull of hair, had to put a filter in the drain not to clog it everytime, its freaky, scary. My hair is at least half the thickness from before sub. Once i am back to myself again, i hope the months following my hair will stop falling off, cross my fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new here. I have been on subutex for 5.5 years and have had many changes including hair loss. Not just on my head, but my pubic hair is about 50% what it was before. I have also developed gynecomastia (man boobs), gained about 50 pounds, and I am in and out of hypothyroid. By in and out I mean I have been tested 4 times. The 1st and 3rd time I was tested hypo, the 2nd and 4th time I was tested perfectly normal.

I think subutex has done a number on my endocrine system.

On a side note, I did abuse subutex for about a year and a half by snorting it everyday. I was snorting 24 to 32mg per day, every day. That may have had something to do with my problems, I don't know. I also take 20mg of valium every day but that is a fairly low dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Buphasme - get your testosterone level checked. What you're describing sounds like low T.

Hair loss can also occur a few months after a major life trauma or period of high stress. Many people were in crisis right before starting Sub, and I wouldn't be surprised if they experience stress related hair loss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I read in many places that fatigue and hair loss while on suboxone can be linked to the drug due to it reducing your natural T count. I went in and had a blood test done and my T levels were 40% lower than normal. I was prescribed androgel (7.5MG per day) and so far so good. Energy is hit and miss but better. T levels are still 20 percent lower than normal but as I said, better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on methadone, switched to Suboxone, switched to Bupenephrin (sp?) and recently switched back to Suboxone from the same office. Since this last switch, I am also loosing alot of hair everyday, my hair is more brittle and very dry. My legs//ankles are swelling 3+ pitting edema, the dr. started me on lasix and potassium. I just read other blogs stating they also began with leg swelling when starting suboxone. I am going back to my doctor tomorrow and let him know what others are saying about hair loss, legs swelling with pitting edema. I am now having great anxiety thinking how am I going to get off the suboxone to stop this swelling, It is painful and I cannot take it anylonger. I cant even hardly stand on my feet anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Switch back to buprenorphine / subutex?

These are some full on side-effects, and I'd suggest getting tests done like DiaryofaQuitter said. The libido thing is definitely related to the buprenorphine. It happens on Subutex and Suboxone. And it happens to both guys and girls.

Try and 'isolate' the problem as well. Personally, I would consider those side-effects serious enough to go back on methadone for. For some people, buprenorphine treatment just doesn't work, and methadone is a better option.

Bear in mind it also may have nothing to do with your buprenorphine treatment. Some guys just go bald, as fucked up as that is! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Me too Uncle Popeye!

I've been going bald, but only on top. My side have always been thick until recently. 10 Months on Suboxone.

My Testosterone levels are extremely high 397. My doctor says not to worry about it...

Post subject: Sex?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What Sex? I've been married for 25 years!
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

These are some full on side-effects, and I'd suggest getting tests done like DiaryofaQuitter said. The libido thing is definitely related to the buprenorphine. It happens on Subutex and Suboxone. And it happens to both guys and girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi, I'm Dana. I'm a hairstylist of over 25 years, this happened to me also. Alot of meds will cause this, what happens is, they make your pores on your scalp close up and strangle that hair, it falls off. The hair growing under your scalp cannot get through. A brand called nioxin is available through salons only. Use the shampoo and conditioner, leave each one on at least 3 minutes. In 2 weeks, you will see hair growing back in around the hairline.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

taran1 wrote:
I have been on Suboxone for almost 4 solid years and my hair is thinning a LOT, I have/had very thick hair and now its thin. I have about two hand fulls come out every time I wash my hair. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also no sex drive at all, mouth sores, and fatigue which from what I have read here are common and can I say that sucks!! I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything but may have to think of a different approach if these side effects dont subside soon, and apparently they aren't going anywhere after all this time. Any thoughts will be helpful.
WOW. I can't yet say if I'm glad that I found this post or if it has scared the living %&$@ out of me even more.

I too am a longtime Suboxone user (approx. 8mg daily) and have had 'Kennedy Hair' for the 30 years of life I've inhibited.
I too have begun seeing VERY odd behavior in my hair, which has progressed to VERY serious.
What started as a single spot where my hair was always gooey and rough / sticky has since gone bald (in that single spot) and over the last 7 weeks has gotten VERY serious. It's so bad that as I type this, I count 9 pieces of hair on my keyboard from the last 10 minutes. A single swoop of my right hand across the right side of my head yields around the same amount of strands as on my keyboard now, again, a SINGLE RUB OF MY HAIR! And shower; don't get me started. My wife shows me HAIR CLUMPS after I take a shower that she digs out of the drain.

[font=Century Gothic]I'M FREIKING OUT!!! HELP!![/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://www.suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7364
[font=Comic Sans MS]
Hello Perking and welcome to the forum!! The above link is to a topic on hair losss that was just posted about 2 weeks
ago. I think that you may find some useful information in there. TeeJay, DiaryofaQuitter, and I all pretty muc came to the
same consensus on it.

The only thing that is different about your post is that you are talking about this "sticky/rough/gooey" patch of hair that
has recently gone bald. The fact that this has JUST happened, and you've been on suboxone for a long period of time,
leads me to believe that it is not suboxone related. If I were you I would go see a dermatologist, or, believe it or not,
a hairdresser. I have been one for over 13 years and we see a lot of diferent cases of hair loss. And all of them have
different causes. The only way to find out for sure, is to "have your head examined" LOL~ Even though I'm a hairdresser
I personally would see a dermatologist.

This could be caused from a change in diet, excercise, medication, or anything else really. But the 2 biggest culprits are
usually stress and DHT. This is explained in the above link.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. That's what we are here for!!!
Good Luck, and please let me know what it ends up being. I'm actually VERY curious as to what that spot on your scalp
was/is.

I hope you are able to get some answers from a dermatolgist or hairdresser.
And again~welcome to the forum!![/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, all. I too, am having hair loss. I've been on Suboxone from November 2011 to this day. I came on and Googled "Suboxone and hair loss," and here I am. I started losing it shortly after I started. (Roughly 3-4 months) I would like to think its just natural hair loss, but I don't think so. I am losing it on the top, towards the front, of my head. I think that may have something to do with the Subs. My hair also started recessing in the front corners, also. I had a thick head of hair before I started the medication. My girlfriend says maybe I was too messed up to notice. Anyways, I thank you all for this topic discussion, and have found it useful. I'm going to keep digging for answers, and am going to get that Nioxin, as stated above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey everyone,

just want to say i have/had the same thing going on over here with the hair loss and screwy teeth thing among a hundred other things. i just want to point out i was on viciodon for a short period before the subs, and i hate the notion that people are always pointing out the drug before this one (not everyone who takes this medication are drug addicts). well guess what 4 months of Vicodin small dose did nothing harmful to me what so ever. not till i got on the subs did my health gradually start declining. I really wish the doctors were more up front with people about the side effects or more knowledgeable would be a better term.

Dont get me wrong, i guess it can really help people who are bad drug addicts but my school of thought is that all drugs are bad. specially ones meant to be on long term. for pain this is a horrible choice as after a while it makes you more sensitive to pain and the tremendously long withdraws are nothing to scoff at. i dont care what anyone tells you, there are very serious withdraws that come with suboxone/subutex. dont believe otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi-
I found this forum tonite after washing my hair and pulling out clumps AGAIN & freaking out AGAIN. I noticed a lot of the people on this forum are male, but I'm female & it's happening to me.

I've been on suboxone (dissolves, 4-8mg per day) for about 10 months now. Almost as soon as I started taking it I noticed my nails were much weaker than usual -- & they're usually very strong. But my hair was even worse -- from the beginning, it felt to me like the strands had actually gotten thinner. To be precise, my hair felt less like strands of hair & more like strings of spiderwebs -- that very silky & VERY thin feel, but also much thinner LOOKING. It was NOT my imagination. My hair grows past my shoulders & before taking this, if I would see a hair against my bathtub wall, it was about average in girth - not to thick, but not too thin. Once I started the Sub, my hair strands were markedly thinner against the white tub; sometimes I could barely see it! It made no sense to me & my doctor kept insisting I was imagining it, but I wasn't.

Now it's 10 months later & my hair had overall been much thinner-feeling, but the loss wasn't too bad. However, within the past month or so, I had stepped down my dose significantly b/c a friend had made me paranoid about withdrawals & I guess I wanted to see if I would get any. I realized I could do fine on a 4mg dose (as opposed to 8mg) so my dr. agreed to put me there -- but occasionally I would take an 8mg if I felt a bit more need for it. So I don't know if all this recent dose-changing has messed with my system or if something else is up b/c within these past few weeks, my hair has been falling out in clumps & it's NOT STOPPING!!! I got bloodwork done this past Friday (it's Monday today) so I'm kinda hoping it's just a random vitamin deficiency that I can fix b/c otherwise I might lose my mind. I am now scared to death to wash my hair, brush it, etc. I feel like I'm gonna need a wig soon! I'm 33 -- not in menopause or anything -- AUGH! I don't know what else to do! :cry:

Post subject: Hair Loss
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all, I am new here. This is an awesome place to be. I have been on Suboxone for 4 years due to an addiction to painkillers. I was only using about 10-12 vicodin a day....why, oh why, didn't I just wean off or quit cold turkey?? Now I'm a prisoner to Suboxone. I am greatful for suboxone, but now I'm just addicted to something else. Anyway, the reason I am here today is I Googled "Suboxone and hair loss" and this is where I ended up. I started Suboxone in April of 2008 and July 2008 I had my last menstrual period (none since). I also am loosing clumps of hair when I wash it. I currently am prescribed 12mg a day (but I only take 4mg), I do not take any other medications. So, I can safely say that I am blaming Suboxone for my hairloss and I want to blame Sub for my body going thru menopause at such an early age. I currently see an endocrinologist and she cannot find any other reason why I had pre-mature menopause. My vitamin d level is so low, I have to take a prescribed dose of vitamin d. I have NO sex drive AT ALL. I tried weaning off of sub about a year ago and weaned all the way down to 1mg a day and I felt fine but once I hit .75, the anxiety kicked in and then once I hit .50mg, the insomnia and depression kicked in.
I just couldn't take it so I started back at 2mg for a few weeks then I started upping my dose until I reached 12mg a day and noticed my hair falling out even more. So, now I am weaning again and currently am at 4mg. I know if I wean off completely, it is going to be a struggle. I just want my life back. I cannot loose weight, I am always depressed, no matter how many antidepressants I am prescribed, so I just don't take any because they don't work for me.
I also want to say, just because I am experiencing these side effects, doesn't mean everyone will experience them. We are all different and respond to medications differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow, ASalt -
So weird b/c I, too, have recently been going through a lack of period. I'm going on my 8 or 9th month. However, I can't blame the suboxone b/c I had been on continuous contraceptive for endometriosis (very painful - thus the pain killers and now the suboxone!) and during the past 18months or so it had been less and less until I went off it my pill (THE pill) in May of this year and waited for it to come and I'm still waiting for it to come. I've only been on Suboxone since about 2 months before all this, and as I said my period had been tapering off for about 6+ years before that. But it's ironic b/c now I'm experiencing the hair loss... I got my blood tests back yesterday and everything was normal, including thyroid. Saw my dr. today and she's now telling me to see an endocrinologist, too! I'm not experiencing any other pre-menopause symptoms (I'm 33) or the symptoms of having too much androgen or whatever. I'm thin, no extra hair on my body or acne or anything else. Just no hair! Really don't know what to think now, but I'm probably going to get more blood work to check my hormone levels. I HATE having blood drawn. Also, regardless, I think I'm going to cut way down on the suboxone. My dr. looked at my scalp and said I have "no new growth". In other words, if more falls out, I'll just get balder and balder -- and as it is, I am pretty much toeing the line of wearing some kind of scarf over the front/sides of my hair... This is so incredibly frustrating!