It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My appendix burst and needed immediate surgery. To make matters worse, there were complications and I ended up having to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks to drain my system out.

I hid my Suboxone use because I was acquiring it illicitly and did not have a prescription at the time (couldnt afford doctors visits, and insurance didn't cover it).

In retrospect I realize that they would not have judged me and I wouldn't have been in any trouble.

But I kept taking the sub secretly, and they kept giving me morphine injections which barely did anything because the sub was blocking it. Was in some serious pain.

Don't make this mistake.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:55 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Why did you keep taking the Suboxone? Man, they would have gave you some really good drugs if you had just said something to the Dr's and nurses. They could have handled the pain!
This is one reasons Dr's and hospitals aren't up to speed yet on this Suboxone issue. People are afraid to tell the truth about a drug like Suboxone. Damn! I carry a card in my wallet so they will know!
I am not ashamed to tell someone I am on Suboxone and neither should you or any of us!
Did you learn a lesson from it?
I'll bet you did! lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree with everything Happy said, but I completely understand feeling uncomfortable disclosing the fact that you're illegally taking a controlled substance. Personally I feel most doctors would slap the addict label on you immediately, regardless of what you're taking suboxone for, and I wouldn't gamble on their reaction. They could insist on sticking to APAP/ibuprofen/naproxen for liability purposes.

Do anyone have an alternate experience, where they gave you the appropriate amount of pain meds to overcome sub? (Let's assume you're taking sub legally)

Individuals who have a strong interest/experience in medicine.
New Suboxone doctor/psychiatrist/therapist in the Boston area.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm due to have a baseline colonoscopy this coming Fall. I will definitely tell my doctor about sub (I believe there are other drugs lthey can use to anesthetize me). I'll post on here after and share my story.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

No need to hide it.
My brother had a tube shoved down into his lungs and they done a scrape and he didn't tell them he was taking Subs. Well long story short, they had to stop the procedure halfway through!
Don't be my brother people!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:08 am 

Good morning all, I am due to have a scope and talked to my sub doctor about it. She is a retired internest. She said for me not to take my suboxone for 24 hours and to take it once the procedure was over and that I would be fine. They will be giving me propranolol to knock me out. I really dont know why I did not tell this dr about my being on suboxone. I have told all of my other doctors. I think I will tell him on my next visit.I guess I was afraid that he would not do the procedure if he knew about the suboxone. Silly me!