It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I had a baby on Subutex
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wanted to maybe offer some reassurance to mommies-to-be out there who are on suboxone and then are jolted when they find out they're pregnant. I had my third child in 2007. I took no drugs or alcohol with my first two, so I assumed that I needed to quit Sub pronto.....and I tried. But I couldn't do it. I weaned very quickly down. At first, my doc wanted me to switch to Methadone, but then did some more research and we settled on Subutex because it didn't have the added ingredient. I weaned to 3mg rapidly and stayed there until a week before my delivery. It was a scheduled c-section (my third c-section). I planned to just stick with the Subutex and take no pain meds but my doctor thought I was making a bad choice and that I woudn't be able to handle the pain (which scared me), so I had to quit the Subutex for that week before surgery. It was aweful. In fact, I dialated to seven and went in for my surgery but had no clue I was even in labor because the w/d was so bad. Anyway, I took pain meds after the surgery, but I never felt right and I turned into an emotional mess, so after I checked out, I went back onto Suboxone and used Motrin. I actually flushed a whole bottle of Percocet and a bottle of Dilaudid...imagine that! I just wanted to feel normal again. The main point: my daughter was born perfectly and completely healthy. She's 1.5 years old and has had no problems at all. She had no w/d at birth. I don't know what this means. It was really scary. It's just my story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your story laddertripper. I'm sure it will help someone out there going through the same thing.

Were you able to nurse your baby while you were on Sub?

Another doc around here posted that it's better for Sub patients to take a smaller dose of Sub with a full-agonist after surgery, instead of quitting the Sub and just taking full-agonist opiates. Hopefully more doctors will catch on to that idea.

Did you feel like you were treated any differently at the hospital b/c of being on Sub? I had to go to the ER for a kidney stone and I was afraid to tell them about being on suboxone. It hurt so much and I was scared that they wouldn't help me if they knew I was on Sub. Lucky for me, the IV dilaudid worked on the pain - though it did wear off quicker than it had in the past. They gave me a second dose before I went home and all was well.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, I could not nurse on Suboxone. That was a gigantic source of guilt for me. At the same time, when my baby was born healthy, I was so grateful that I had to count my blessings. My pregnancy was not without issues, just like my others. My first pregnancy, I got toxemia (at 19). My second, I had an abruption at 29 weeks and we both almost died. Both of those pregnancies were drug-free and should have been fine. All three of my babies were also breech and two had the cords around their necks. My third baby (Sub baby) grew too slowly and I was on full bedrest, first in the hospital and then at home. The most frustrating thing was that between my OBGYN, my psychiatrist, and my neonatologist, no one ever came out and decisively told me what to do and it seemed like they really didn't know. My psychiatrist was the most helpful. He redirected me to Subutex, which has no Naloxone. It made me sick, sick, sick at first. Holy cow. It tastes terrible, especially when you're pregnant, and it gave me headaches and just basically made me feel aweful. Also, my insurance refused to pay for it, despite all our appeals, so I paid out of pocket, which ended up coming to thousands of dollars over the months. I should mention that I became epileptic after my head injury, so the doctors had to worry about how much stress my body could handle. Withdrawal could have given me a seizure, which, according to them, would have been incredibly dangerous for my baby. That's another reason I didn't breastfeed. I had to start seizure meds again. My OB doctor did not think whatsoever that my idea of taking Suboxone for after-surgery pain was a good one. He thought I needed "real" painkillers. They gave me a ton, I mean a ton, of IV painkillers after surgery and I was so lucid and obviously still in pain that the nurses couldn't believe it. Even a week plus after quitting .5 mg Subutex I couldn't get much relief and I totally started going crazy. (I think I mentioned that on my scheduled delivery day, I was dialated to 6/7 and had no clue I was in full labor because I was so darn sick. The only thing that helped afterward was the !V Dilaudid that you can give yourself every ten minutes (and I learned the hard was that you should not be a martyr and should just take the darn dose!) and also this Tordal stuff. The Tordal helped better than anything and was non-narcotic.

My daughter is 1.5 and is smart as a whip. She has started reading small words and talks in sentences. She is in the 75% for both height and weight (and I'm a shrimp, BTW). I'm not bragging. I'm just letting this community know that I went through hell worrying and praying for a healthy baby and I got one.....on Subutex.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, I think that as mothers, we all have some kind of guilt about something. I felt guilty that I didn't have a natural childbirth (I had an emergency C-section). Me and my daughter were fine, but I still felt awful about if for a long time. I also quit my antidepressants while I was pregnant because I was scared of what they might do to the baby, and for that I ended up with PPD from hell.

It sucks that no matter what choices we make for our children we beat ourselves up about it. I know a lot of mamas who couldn't breastfeed for whatever reason and my god did they ever get shit from everyone around them. People can be so obnoxious!

It sounds like you're a great mom who has done whatever you could to make sure your baby was safe and healthy. Just going through a "normal" pregnancy is hard enough, I can't imagine having to be on bed-rest with other kids to care for. And then to go through withdrawals right before you gave birth! You must be superwoman or something. :D

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Laddertipper I'm happy for you everything came out fine. Why did you get so sick when you started taking the subutex? I heard it cost more then suboxone which is why they probable would not pay for it. Can't understand why you would get sick from it though since it's just the same but without the naloxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not supermom...trust me! I'm never good enough, but it's true that few moms ever think they are.

Pregnancy was total hell. It was unplanned, unexpected, and going through withdrawal at the end with everyone yacking at me to lay still was such a nightmare. I seriously thought it wouldn't end. Ironically, during the operation, I had a total panick attack. Not feeling my legs has never failed to terrify me. I was also very tired from w/d. The anaesthesiologist told me that once my daughter was out, he was going to give me something to calm me down, since I had a tubal and all the stitching to still go through. He didn't announce it, but I heard my baby wail, and then I woke up and realized I'd slept a long time. It was all done. However, you know what? My doctor removed something that was not my tube (on my left). Apparently, it was fibrous tissue. There were at least three doctors there so I don't know how the heck they got that wrong. Since he reasoned I still must have a left tube, or I would not have gotten pregnant three times, I made my hubby go get snipped.

I don't know why Subutex made me sick, but it did. That made no sense to me or my doctor because I went from 3 mg Suboxone to 3 mg Subutex and it made me very sick. It took about a week or two to stop feeling nasty from it. My insurance answered the appeals with a final answer of "she should not be taking Suboxone or Subutex when pregnant." This was after my psychiatrist and my neurologist submitted the proper paperwork repeatedly about why the Subutex was preferable. The only benefit of the Subutex was that it's longer and oblong and easier to break into small doses.