It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started on the suboxone almost 2 years ago and was prescribed two 8mg per day. I never did use my prescribed dosage but kept myself down to a half of pill once a day in the am. This was the dosage that the Doc. administered to me at his office and then my symptoms of withdrawal from methadone had left and I felt fine. I then had an excess of pills to carry me through because I knew the insurance I had was going to be finished in 4 months. I was unable to see the doctor any more after 5 months of treatment due to financial issues. I had by then accumulated a supply in excess of 200 tabs. After my last Dr.'s visit I cut my dose down to a quarter of a pill and have been there for a good year. In April of this year my supply was down to 28 tabs at which time I tried to cut it back even further. I am a Mason by trade and so the physical demands of my job really didn't allow me to cut back to less than 5 or 6 pieces from 1 tab. I ran out on 3-12-09 and my sneezing started within 24 hours and all of my more than ordinary strength and stamina dissipated shortly after. 3 days or 72 hours later I was sick, stomach ache , no strength, anxiety, insomnia, irritability. I then broke down and took two 5mg percs and felt better within an hour. I did not sleep that night however and was sick again the next morning. I again took two more 5mg pecs and was fine for the day with another bad sleepless night. I found this website and began to read about the liquid taper. I was sick as heck and decided to rinse my pill bottle with water and hope for the best. I couldn't believe it. I was feeling better 20 min after putting the solution in my mouth and letting it soak. This kept me feeling good all day and I was able to get a good nights sleep. I awoke this morning and although not sick at all I wasn't my usual self. I had a choice to go pick up a couple percs or 10 mg methadone tabs. I went with the methadone and have taken about a third of a tab today. I am not sick but I feel kind of on edge as I did when I switched from methadone to suboxone the first time 2 plus years ago.

My intentions are to be off of everything in 30 days and I am not sure whether a taper from methadone or percocet is the coarse that I will take . If anyone has any experience in the jump from either one of these meds. I would sure like to hear from you. I am by no means a baby but I need to be physically productive in order to pay my bills and survive so I would like to have input on the most tolerable way to jump. In the mean time I will use the methadone for another day or two at a quarter or third of a pill a day to keep going. I guess I will be the guinea pig. Thanks to everyone for being here~~~~~~~~~~~MSTRMSN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey y'all I guess I am a little more off in my thoughts than I figured. I just wanted to set the record straight as to the dates of my sub treatment.
I started in 3 of 2007 and had my last piece of pill 7-12-09. It really did give me my life back and keep me making that hard earned money
last. But enough is enough and I pray this is it. I fired the pusher and killed the junkie long ago and now I want to be free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Theoretically, you could make an oral solution of your methadone as well, so you could taper down in smaller increments in hope of a smoother jump off.

You wouldn't use the solution sub-lingually, you'd just swallow it (though I think methadone can be absorbed sublingually).

Anyway, methadone is water-soluable, so you could just make a water solution. If you have a 10 mg methadone pill and mix it with 10ml of water, then each 1ml has 1mg of methadone in it. I think the ideal taper from methadone is something like 10% drop per month, but that's probably coming down from the high doses used in MMT.

If you want to come down to 0 from around 3.5mgs mgs in 30 days, you could just decrease your dose by .5mg every 4 days or so.

So your doses would look like 3.5mgs for 4 days, 3mgs for 4 days, 2.5mgs for 4 days, 2mgs for 4 days, 1.5mgs for 4 days, 1mg for 4 days, .5mgs for 4 days. That makes 28 days to get to zero, and you would need 56mgs of methadone to do it...so like 6 pills.

Of course, it would be best if you got help from a doctor.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This reply or post is just to keep anyone that is following it updated to my taper effects. I am on day 3 of my 5mg dose of methadone and about to drop to 4mg tomorrow morning. I was unable to complete a 3.5 mg beginning dose schedule due to the lack of energy needed to build with heavy stone and block here in the heat and humidity of south Carolina. 5 mg has kept me strong and stable without any ill effects whatsoever. I really did do a bad by jumping off the suboxone at the 1/6 of a tab and it took me two days and 15mg of methadone with 3.5mg doses every 8 hrs to get me back on track and the WD symptoms behind me. I have replaced the 1.5 mg of suboxone that I was taking originally with 5mg of methadone and I feel good.
If what I have read is correct and 2 mg of suboxone = 30 mg of methadone than my taper down is going really well so far. I will post again after tomorrow and I have the first good methadone drop behind me. ~~~~~~~~MSTRMSN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad to hear you're doing better and have decided what route to take.

I also want to urge you to make plans for your recovery. Please don't think you will just get off opiates and stay off them because you desire it. You will need support, therapy or meetings, and new ways of coping with your triggers. Recovery is a process and it's very difficult to go it alone.

What will you do if you feel crappy after you stop the methadone? If you have pain, are you in pain-management or have plans for doing that? Have you addressed the issues that led you to get addicted in the first place? Do you plan to be abstinent from opiates from now on, or do you think you'll go back to occasional use?

Many people experience PAWS, or post-acute withdrawal syndrome when they stop opiates. Depression, insomnia, lethargy, generally feeling like shit, anxiety, pain, all can be symptoms of PAWS. Do you have any ideas about how you'll deal with these kinds of issues?

I don't go to meetings or anything. I kind of designed my recovery around my personal issues and reasons that drove me to opiate use in the first place. Have you figured this stuff out for yourself?

I do hope you succeed, and I hope that you don't take these thoughts & suggestions in a negative light. Opiate addiction is hell, but we tend to forget that as soon as we feel better. I'd love to see everyone who posts here go on to a happy, addiction-free life, and that's the spirit of my comment. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is an update for anyone following the taper. I am on my third day of my drop from a half of a 10mg tab to 1/3 of a tab or approx. 3.5mg.
I will be taking this dose one more day and then beginning the liquefied method to assure correct smaller amounts. The second day of this small decrease was noticeable in my energy level and alertness to the point where it made working terrible and I couldn't push through a whole day of laying brick in the heat and humidity of the south. Oh how I long for the pleasant temps of the west coast. Today was much better and I made a full day and still feel decent. SO FAR SO GOOD!!! Thanks be to Suboxone ~~~~~~~MSTRMSN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The advice given in these posts for a Liquid Taper off of Sub is wonderful! I felt so completely lost until I stumbled upon this site. Thanks you!
My question is about my own sub use. I have been on 4mg of sub every 2-3 days. I need to get off of it ASAP but have no idea where to begin. Should I change my doseage to 1mg every day and then taper to .5 mg a day and they begin a Liquid Taper? I am confused and do not want to fill up with more sub instead of decreasing. Every 3 days I am in hell with severe withdrawal. Could someone please give me an outline as to how my taper should progress. I am lost right now and really need to figure this out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is another update. I am on day 2 of 2mg methadone and not sick not even the slightest. I am however lacking my ambition but I am pretty sure it is mostly a mind game that I am playing on myself. I had an unusual craving to drink beer yesterday and I have not had any alcohol in my system for 5 years or more. I think that it is just my addiction disease kicking in from the reduction of meds in my body now. I need some positive things to happen to replace the hatred of living in the hot and humid conditions of the South. Without a substantial amount of opiates or suboxone or methadone in me it is a bitch to walk outside from my air conditioned home and try to be productive in my trades. This will be changing soon as I have come to realize that working in this heat and humidity is a big factor in triggering my craving for drugs. If I don't leave here I will end up using again just to be productive at work. The stop day is approximately 11 days ahead. I will then be moving to the Bay area of California and starting again in a fresh area with tolerable year round temperatures . No more 95 degree days with 90% humidity and a heat index of 105 degrees. I do not even subject my dog to the extremities that I am forced to work in. Have a safe and painless detox to all that seek it.~~~~~~MSTRMSN

Post subject: down to 1.5mg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

here is the update at the end of the drop from 2mg to 1.5 mg. I am taking my last dose at 1.5 mg of now. The past two days at this dose have been a
little difficult but I have not been sick at all. I do seem to be experiencing a sneezing episode every morning just shortly after I awake and prior to my dosing. I want to say that I can jump right now and today as it is Saturday would be a perfect day to do it but I hurt myself when I did that last time and
I am the guinea pig and will carry this to the end and then jump. Next Saturday is the jump day and I will have completed the taper. It has been painless so far except for having to work out doors through it. I wonder if they use this method when one goes to professional treatments centers for detoxing of opiates. Does anyone know? My next trick will be to quit nicotine. I am going to taper try this vice too. this is some crazy shit this addiction stuff but I was warned as a child 40 some odd years ago about it. Peace, love, freedom and all that is good to all.~~~~~~MSTRMSN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had an extremely unmotivated weekend at 1.0 mg of methadone. I am finished with my current job and must seek another one. I was barely able to get through the laundry and housework that I ordinarily would zip right through in about 6 or 7 hrs on a Saturday. Last night was kind of restless but it may be due to all the napping I did Saturday and Sunday. I was good for about 2 or 3 hours of productivity at a time and that was with
regular house work. I don't think I would have pushed through outside masonry work without taking another dose per day. I feel fine in the fact that there are no real physical sickness symptoms. I am doing real well at this moment but it is only two hours since my dose. I will be dropping again tomorrow and that should be the last drop. I have enough solution left to last 5 days at this dose of 0.5 mg. I just cant see jumping from that dose even causing the slightest withdrawal symptom but if it does I am ready. I have had one battle a day with sneezing every morning for the last three days.
This is usually 5 or more sneezes in a row and that is it until the next morning. The hard part is just beginning and that is knowing that I don't HAVE to feel like this. Even my words in this post seem unusually unmotivated. Can you imagine how good I would feel with just 5mg of methadone or better yet 1mg of suboxone. Enough of that I am out of here and got to start getting shit done. I am going to make it. P & L ~~~~~~MSTRMSN

Post subject: jumping today
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am stopping one day ahead of schedule. I have had a terrible week of no real motivation. I have a sneezing episode every morning by 9am.
I am not sick and I don't expect to feel that way as my last dose was only 0.5 mg of methadone and I was stable on it for 4 days. I will keep everyone posted as to when some sort of motivation returns. I want to feel energetic soon so I can get ready for my move to Calif. It is like my mind wants to just be happy again but the lack of energy is keeping me from feeling that way.~~~~~MSTRMSN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know how you feel about that lack of motivation thing. If you push through it do you feel any better. It doesn't always work for me but sometimes if I just start doing something, anything, then I feel a little more energetic. It's like I have to maufacture motivation.

Keep up the good work!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well this is Sunday day 3 since my jump and no ill affects. The sneezing episodes have decreased dramatically. I have sneezed only two or three times since yesterday. I am very impressed as to this liquid taper method and although I am not feeling extremely motivated. I believe that if I had to make a full day of work today that I could do it. The future seems clear and the end of this physical addiction is finally here. I know the rest will be a constant battle of me dealing with the fact that when I am sore. tired, and need to keep going I must not resort to the magic pills any more. This is going to be a great struggle and I may need to not go back into my masonry tools right away. I will be moving out of the humid climate in 34 days and that should be a blessing in itself. I hope that that is the final phase of my rehabilitation and I will find a new and better life with real and not chemically induced energy and motivation. This seems to be the end of a full time 4 year habit and it was made possible I feel through the suboxone.

THANKS BE TO SUBOXONE~~~~~~MSTRMSN

Post subject: 6 MONTH UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For anyone who is trying to stop. I have done it painlessly. There is still a deep down desire to be numbed from all that life throws at me and for some reason the answer to dealing with all my feelings still seems to be to use again. I haven't used any meds. for over 6 months and I take one day at a time. For me I needed to put a relocation factor in place with my recovery plan and that has helped me tremendously in staying sober. If I can be supportive of anyone going through this I am out here and willing to discuss my failures and so far 6 month success story.

~~~~~mstrmsn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for updating. I just read the entire thread and am very glad you didn't disappear into the black hole of people who quit and then you wonder exactly what happened to them. Were they successful or were they not? Glad to hear you are doing well.