It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hhi all. I'm a mid 40's guy living in the middle of the country. Currently jobless... I had heroin to thank for that. It's taken about 2 1/2 to get to this point. I always loved opiates. Used them recreationally for most of my adult life. I had a rare genetic disease that messed up my liver and I ended up having a transplant at age 27. As you can imagine i spent some time with opiates then haha. But eventually i was okay and things progressed. I got my dream job about 7 years ago and was making what to me was an obscene amount of money. I had the kind of financial security that I haven ever enjoyed before. Unfortunately I knew a guy whose wife took oxy. Naturally she sold every bit of it she could and that is basically how they paid their rent. Anyway i started buying 5 or so from them every few weeks. Long story short I was buying her monthly supply a few months later... were talking 120 80mg oxys. yikes. This went on for some time... i was still fully functional but now i had a monkey on my back. Work was not suffering... much anyway. Then she did something to mess up her script and the doc cut her off. Suddenly i had no supply and a raging need. So i think you can guess what came next. I found a gram of heroin was just the ticket. This progressed rather quicker and DID begin to effect my job performance.

Somewhere in the middle of all this my dad got cancer and died, my wife had a horrible eating disorder she had been battling since childhood and had to be hospitalized. When she got out the docs blamed her problems on me so she left to live with her mother. It was not a pain free period of my life. The heroin use grew, the ob suffered, the heroin use grew more the job said hey guess what you no longer work here so GTFO haha. In a way it was a relief. Now i could concentrate on getting high and little else.

And get high I did... I'm not a needle guy and never once injected it. Just mixed it with a bit of water and sniffed it up my nose. I could go on with the story of how I hit rock bottom but i'm not sure i want to write it out. Still quite painful for me apparently. I lost my car and house... Got the car back and bought a new (and much bigger house btw). Anyway one day I find myself in a methadone clinic. I was on methadone for 2 of the worst weeks of my life,,, in constant withdrawal, feeling like shit all the time... UGH. Well they found i had some heart problem and methadone was not good for me. So they switched me to suboxone. Generic buprenorphine actually since I no longer have insurance. I'm on 16mg a day. It's been about 3/4 a year now since i touched heroin. So so so glad i'm away from that shit. I have no urge to ever go back. My doctors name was (sorry i decided not to share it in case someone else knows him) and he saved my life. Anyway that's part of my story. Nice to meetcha all. Sorry i wrote so much but i never really wrote the story out like that. I might add that my wife came to her senses and moved home after about a year apart, we love each other very much and she helps me stay on the straight and narrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story with us. Addiction really takes us all on a Hell of a miserable ride and brings us to our knees, at which point some are able to get up and begin recovery and some are never able to or never get the opportunity. That said, so glad you were able to find recovery and finally some peace with Suboxone. you'll find many members here who say their lives were saved by Suboxone. I'm also very happy that you and your wife are together again. Having our loved ones around for support means so much.

Please continue to post and ask questions if you have any. There are so many caring and knowledgeable members here who'd be happy to help you. I hope you enjoy and get as much comfort,support and knowledge from this place as I have these last couple months. Congrats on your 3/4 year clean from heroin! take care.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story!
I feel a bit awkward welcoming you to the forums, seeing as how I have only been here for a few days... but again, this is me working on being humble and open and maybe a getting to know someone in a similar situation and with a similar goal. I am hoping that would be good, for the both us!

Anyways, I'll leave it at that since I am also so new here but I did want to put it out there that I am willing to talk, or listen, which ever it is that is best for you.

Hope to see you around the forums.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:26 am 

Hey aerobup! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. It is hard to write it all out, but it can be cathartic too.

It's always nice to see a story with a happy-type ending! I'm glad you are back together with your wife and you are supporting each other. Keep posting!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Hey aerobup! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. It is hard to write it all out, but it can be cathartic too.

It's always nice to see a story with a happy-type ending! I'm glad you are back together with your wife and you are supporting each other. Keep posting!

Amy

Cathartic is a great word for it, I feel the same about typing this kind of stuff up. Even if you don't post it, writing down your stories and your troubles can make it feel better and help you sort it all out.

Aerobupe, it looks like you never posted again for a couple weeks now. You still around? Let us know how you're doing! It sounds like you've been on quite a wild ride, I'm glad to hear the lowest point came a while back and now you're getting better and back with the wife. It could have gone much worse for you, what with the pre-existing liver and heart issues. I think you're lucky to be alive.

Now you just gotta post! :wink: