It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HI
I have been reasing this forum for a few months now. Actually started before I got on Suboxone as I am one to do my homework and hear from all sides. I am really glad I did. I have been on them for about 5 weeks now. I have had back injuries (from sports) and three shoulder surgeries, the last being a near full reconstruction (again sports related injuries and my lovely loose joints- great for flexibility not so much for avoiding injury) and have been on Norco for the last three years, with the last year being anywhere from 8-10 a day. I never chose to take pain killers for recreation. I kept having to up the dosage to get the same level of relief and in the end even at 100mg a day, the relief was not there. I decided it was time to stop and tapering from Norco was never going to happen and I happened to read about Subs one day and did some research. The doctor I went to wanted to start me at 16mg/day and I outright refused. Having read stories here I knew it was too much. She also bashed online forums and said that these places were basically poison. How wrong she is. But she wasa means to an end. I started on 8 mg and quickly cut to 4mg, and am now on .3mgs per day The liquid taper thread was genius. I have some WD's from reducing so quickly but nothing like full Norco WD's which I had tried to kick a year ago. I know many wil need Subs forever and that is fine, but for me, I just want my life back and tht means No More Pills of any kind. I feel more like my old self with every passing day and am more clear headed. I just hope that in a coupl eweeks when I jump off altogether (after getting to .1mgs or less) that I am not too sick. Keep fighting!!

Post subject: Addendum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I should also mention that she prescirbed me 8 8mg pills to last me the first week. It took me 3.5 weeks to get through them. I stopped seeing her after 3 weeks and getting another script for 6 more pills. I have 4.5 left whcih will be more than enough to finish my taper since 1 pill now last for several weeks and will only last longer. I stopped seeing her because she and her assistant treated me like a junkie. No offense to anyone, some of my best friends have been junkies, but I was there for a different reason. I felt like she treated me like I was a criminal and there becasue the courts thought I should be, not for what it was. And when I told her the truth about my situation she flat out disbelieved me. She said there was no difference between dependence and addiction. I beg to differ. I have not missed the pills at all. And when I am done, I do not worry about relapse. I am so happy to not be chained to a bottle of pills and constantly worrying how many I need to take with me if I am gone all day or traveling, etc. Anyway, glad to be here and I will keep updating on my taper.. in the right thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That is fantastic! I wish I could say the same. I did my homework(this forum) after 2plus years. I started for addiction only, taking doctor recommended 24 mgs a day, and I am a small person. I now take 16, and from following this forum and going to meetings, I am seeing the light and want to make the plan. I read the liquid dose, it works, huh? Its good to know that for the future. Again, congrats on educating yourself first, and it gives me new hope. Keep in touch!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

pugmommy wrote:
That is fantastic! I wish I could say the same. I did my homework(this forum) after 2plus years. I started for addiction only, taking doctor recommended 24 mgs a day, and I am a small person. I now take 16, and from following this forum and going to meetings, I am seeing the light and want to make the plan. I read the liquid dose, it works, huh? Its good to know that for the future. Again, congrats on educating yourself first, and it gives me new hope. Keep in touch!

Yes the liquid is great. I kept trying to break an 8mg pill into 1/16 and I was really just taking gummers of Sub dust at that point. Now I dissolve 1/4 into 20Ml of water and that gives me .1mg/ml. It stays mixed and I can feel it pretty quickly. What was your dose of other opiates? I was on 8 mg the first day and it carried me over easily into my second day. That was when I realized I could get away with less. The doctors don't want you weaning on your own, but depending on your previous drug of choice and dose you may be able to get by on less. My friend who introduced me to my sub doc was taking 20-30 10mg Norcos a day and she started at 32, then dropped almost immediately to 16 and a few weeks later to 8 which she stayed on for 6 months and just recently decided that since I was able to reduce so fast she would try too. She was on 2mg for about 3 months and then did a rapid taper for about a month and jumped off at 1mg. She had bad flu like symptoms for about a week then every day was better and is fine now after about three weeks. I think going down to a really small dose like .1mg is a better choice but to each their own.
Good luck!