It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Greetings All
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All -

I'm new to this site and relatively new to Suboxone. I started Sub about 2 months ago after a long, unsuccesful battle with vicodin. I was mildly depressed for a long time which I now know was the reason for going to alcohol and drugs to escape. Suboxone has been a lifesaver for me. The depression is completely gone and I'm a new person. I'm much more productive at work, I love spending time with my kids....all is great.

Of course I need to worry about something however! Will I need to take Sub for the rest of my life? Will the benefits of Sub go away after time? How dangerous is it to be on Sub long term? I've been wrestling with all of these questions. Hopefully I can get some good advice by coming to this site. I currently take 16mg of Sub per day, but I'm not even sure if that is the right amount?

If anyone has any thoughts or advice, I would appreciate hearing it.

Elgin

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My name is Queenie.

I read your post and it sounds as though you are not being monitored by a doctor. Are you seeing a doctor? He/she can answer those questions better than me because everyone is different. I have been on Subs almost 3 years. I don't think doctors want anyone on it the rest of their lives although some people are on it longer than others. My doctor is the type that believes in a long term treatment. Besides I had chronic pain issues and he also wanted to try to help my pain with Subs. I am a double amputee and had many surgeries on my legs to try to save them. I started out with 32mgs. I am now on 16, like you. But my doctor has kept me at 16 mgs because I have been on & off subs for major surgeries. I don't know if any of this helps but like I said everyone is different. Good luck. You sound very optimistic and I wish you the best. I know it's hard.

Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the note, Queenie. I actually am being monitored by a Doctor...seen him 4 times since I started on Suboxone. I've asked him these questions. I guess he's taking a conservative approach by saying that we will see how the medication works, side effects, etc. before giving me a definite timeframe on how long I should be on Sub and how much I should use as my regular dose. I thought I'd put the questions out on this board because I value getting info from other people who are going through this process.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Hi again, Elgin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can understand it must be frustrating to not be able to get all your answers now. I don't think you have be be on Subs the rest of your life but it's up to your doctor to determine how long you will need them & how much.

At least we have something that is helping us. I love it that you said you love spending time with your kids. Let them be your inspiration. Anytime you are tempted, think of them.

Let's keep in touch. I'm interested in how your doctor is going to work with you.

Queenie