It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: A great experience
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got an email from one of my patients a few days ago. She came to me about 12 weeks into her pregnancy with twins. She had been discharged by her Suboxone doc for some reason (I can't remember why), and when she first came in she was thinking of stopping buprenorphine by the time of her deliveries... but at the same time was hoping to get back on it, as she was sick after being off a few days.

I gave her my recommendation-- that it is hard enough to go through pregnancy with twins, without also dealing with withdrawal.... and I told her the truth about NAS-- that half of babies show no signs of NAS on buprenorphine, and the other half have mild symptoms. Her husband wanted her off buprenorphine, so we also discussed boundaries, and the right to do what is right for YOU, not for someone else...

Anyway, she stayed on buprenorphine, and slowly lowered her dose to about 4 mg per day. She had no 'real' withdrawal-- some of the imaginary stuff--- and delivered the twins at 37 weeks, vaginally. She was allowed to breastfeed, and she and babies left the hospital within 48 hours of walking in the door. She sent me pics of her and the twins, and I wish I could share them... I suggested that she come on the forum and share sometime, when both babies are down.... and hopefully she will get a chance.

I'm not always big on the local health network-- but one thing they do very well is deliver babies to women on buprenorphine. Their secret? They treat them like any other mom/baby. The breast feeding comforts the baby and the mom.... and there might be enough traces of buprenorphine in the breast milk to ease NAS. I tell my patients who deliver here how lucky they are, to have a place where neonatologists are not chomping at the bit to place IV lines and start morphine infusions!

Post subject: Re: A great experience
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for sharing your patient's experience!
Although I know they don't all work out as hers, it still gives me hope!

Post subject: Re: A great experience
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing Dr. Junig!

I'm so happy for your patient. I hope she comes here herself and shares her story. She could really help alot of expectant mom's here with her experience!

Q