It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Gratitude
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tis the time of year to try and maintain an attitude of gratitude, no matter the problems one is facing. I can hear a groan out there that starts with 'it's easy to be grateful when you're not going through a child custody case'.... but to that I would say that I've been through my own issues, and times like that are when it is ESPECIALLY important to find some gratitude. After all, you look like a better parent, and actually become a better parent, if your life is anchored on gratitude.

All that said, I want to thank those of you who helped with the last poll... And I want to thank, in a BIG WAY, the people who have helped me over the hears by serving as trusted advisors and moderators. The forum would never have exhisted without every one of you-- so thanks!

The forum has given me so much. It is not a big money generator, and it is not something I could ever sell-- but it has done far more. It has given me a voice about addictoin that is much larger than had I just been a doc in a small town in Wisconsin. Because of the forum, I've been invited to the NIH/SAMHSA summit on buprenorpine, where I am able to speak as someone who KNOWS the issues facing all of you on a daily basis. I've been interviewed countless times in newspapers, giiving me chances to get the story straight, and reduce the ignorance that causes stigma. The forum has allowed me to grow a linkedin profile that brings in similar invitations--- to act as editor or peer reviewer for journals, for example.

In all of these cases, your help building and growing the forum has allowed me to get your voices, and my own voice, heard. Please continue to promote this place as you see fit-- a facebook link if you are 'out' about your history and have friends who might benefit, or most importanly, comments using anonymous usernames at the end of addiction articles, getting the story straight and including a link to the forum in your response.

Best wishes to all for the Holidays too-- I'll be bopping in and out with a busy schedule, but you can always email me for emergencies.

Happy Holidays!

Post subject: Re: Gratitude
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree Dr. J. I have a bad habit at times of complaining about the day to day things that irritate me or piss me off, but if I think about things, really think. .I have much to be grateful for! I'm still alive and here for my kids. My disease hasn't taken my life as it has so many others! Big one! No one's life is perfect, and all in all I've got it pretty good. A comfortable home, family, 4 of the most amazingly awesome kids a mom could want, friends, my doctor who is awesome, my forum home and family! The support of many that I've never even met before. For all of these things I am grateful! I'll be 34 years old tomorrow. ... who'd have thought I'd make 34? Anyone who knew me the year before Id finally had enough of my addiction, would have said another year in that shape would have killed me. I've always hosted a huge Thanksgiving meal and celebration for my family and friends, I didn't last year, so this year will be the first one in over a decade. .. clean. .. Happy, healthy! Yep , gratitude is definitely the attitude to have. Thanks for the perspective doc! Hope you have a happy thanksgiving!

Lizzie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:19 pm 

I am exceedingly grateful to you, Dr. J, for starting this forum! I started lurking here in the fall of 2011 after I had reached a breaking point and asked for help. I was very fortunate that I was immediately guided to my wonderful suboxone doctor. He and his PA have been crucial in my recovery. But I see them once a month for 15 minutes. This forum is here for me 24/7. The wisdom I have gained from reading the posts in this forum have not only helped keep me on the straight and narrow, but have helped lead me to the career path that I am beginning to pursue.

I have more things to be thankful about than I could list here, but it is extremely important to me to thank Dr. Junig for providing this forum.

I know that you didn't start this thread for kudos, just like you didn't start this forum for accolades, but thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am also very grateful for Dr J. After over 7.5 years as his patient today is my 7th day no longer taking bupe. I was 31 when I found myself in his office in methadone WD hell. I stopped cold off 80-100 a day after learning Dr J's personal addiction story. It made me feel like for once I might have a person within reach and the proper abcs after his name who might actually know what addicts truly go through and who they are. Better yet I found a doctor who pardon the French really gave a shit about his patients, about me and I trusted his sincerity the first time we met when I was a pile of mental,physical and emotional crap hardly able to sit up in his office. I never felt judged or demeaned. I can't fill my scripts without the oh here's another junkie look even from some 20 year old pharmacy assistant. It's refreshing and motivating to have men like Dr J in this field. If there where more of him I honestly feel that opiate abuse and treatment would be years ahead of where we are today.

I truly am grateful. I turned 38 in December and I after almost a decade of taking an opiate daily have 7 days of no opiates. I think about that and I know that without Dr J and this treatment I wouldn't have had that I wouldn't have had the past 7. The only thing that makes me sad is that after all these years soon I will not have my appointments with the Dr anymore. But I hope he knows I consider him a friend and he did save me.

Thank you for everything Dr J. If I can ever do anything for you please email me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on your recovery! It was so nice to read your post. I'm not a patient of Dr. Junig, however, I am quite grateful for all the important work and time he spends helping addicts like us. This forum is an important part of my recovery a well as the talk zone website, and all the you tube videos. He's always honest and direct when asked a question, and replies to emails from complete strangers in crisis with compassion and understanding. That speaks volumes about what kinda person Dr. J is. So I too am grateful for my treatment, my medication, this forum and Dr. Junig. Please keep us updated on your recovery! Thank you for sharing that with us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:11 pm 

I totally agree with you Dr. Junig. In AA, they taught me to write down a gratitude list and refer to it whenever necessary. Like many here, I've been through divorce, child custody hearings, death of a brother from narcotics, DUI's, cancer, and even the suicide of my AA sponsor. But through all that I persevered.

Today I do not abuse opiates, mainly due to the availability of Suboxone. No one gives me dirty looks at the pharmacy. My life just goes on as normal as it can be.

If I can speak for a lot of us here on the forum, I'd like to say Thank You for being an advocate of Suboxone. Every day more and more medical personnel learn about how Buprenorphine works on addicts. This forum gives us the tools to deal with surgeries and ignorant physicians who just don't want to know or think they know it all and won't listen. At least we can guide them here, print out blogs you've written, and or refer them to you for advice on how to treat us.

Not all of us have a choice on who treats us for our addiction. But it is improving month by month. Maybe one day the 100 patient cap will be lifted and less addicts will die and receive treatment.

I am grateful for life, today, and this forum you put together. Thank You once more.

Rule62

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am extremely grateful for this site and what it brings to the table. Through you we get a credible voice to the public & medical community. I only wish all sub doctors were like you. I'm lucky to have a very good sub dr myself but I hear horror stories from so many other patients I've met. I'm glad we could be a huge database of information for you to provide better care to your patients in Wisconsin. The fact that you get invited to large conferences to speak is great! It just further gives the patients and educated voice through you. So yes, I'm grateful even though ive had the worst 2 months of my life in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You are very respected by many. Thank you for this forum and the you tube videos, you're not my sub doctor but you have helped me immensely for five years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am grateful that I have managed to over come my dependence on medication and can cope with the pain I have in a way that does not rule my life. I am very grateful to my Pharmacist who was so supportive and always there pulling for me and encouraging me when I needed to hear that I could do it.
I am grateful for my five beautiful children and three grandchildren, and for my two dear stepdaughters. I am very blessed in that they are all healthy and happy and that the mistakes I made in raising them have been forgiven and are understood.
I am very grateful for my Mom and stepdad, they have been my rocks and anchors when I have needed it, and they have never judged me or treated me like an addict.
I am grateful to the Doctors who told me that it was time for me to stop taking the medication I had been taking and didn't just leave me high and dry, but stuck with me for the two and a half years or so it took to be free.
I am so grateful to my partner and best friend. He knows everything about me and loves me warts and all.
Last I am grateful that I found this site, I wish I had found it when I was weaning of my medication. Suboxone was not available in my area until I was nearly finished weaning off my medication and there was no reason for me to try something else when everything was going so well already.
I am looking forward to getting to know the people here and learning from your experiences and stories.

Cheers,
Viv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you Dr. Junig, both for hosting this site, which has put me in contact with great people, and for personally posting and replying to messages. I know you have your own busy practice and a lot of other demands, so it means a lot that you take the time to advise perfect strangers. You have shed so much light on this widely misunderstood medication. I know I have passed along information I have learned here to others, and I'm sure hundreds of other forum members have as well. So your knowledge is reaching out far and wide - thankfully, since even doctors are often surprisingly ignorant about this drug.

Also, thanks to the moderators for putting in your time voluntarily, helping addicts in need and sometimes having to deal with difficult people and trolls. Your work is appreciated.

I have more things to be grateful for than I can even name. I'm grateful that I'm clean today and (mostly) in my right mind after a lifetime of drug abuse, and twelve years an opiate addict. I need to remember what a gift that is - and how many people are still out there suffering, or have lost the battle and their lives.

So thank you, everyone here. Today is a beautiful day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:24 pm 

I think this thread is almost a year old now, but still very much relevant.

I have gotten to the place where I am thankful for my addiction. I may not always feel that way, but I certainly feel that way as I am earning my masters in addiction studies! I'm grateful for being led into a profession that will be helping many people, and I'm grateful for the insights I have because I'm an addict. The graduate classes I'm taking right now are difficult. However, my addiction motivates me to learn all that I can and I look forward to putting the skills I'm learning into practice.

This brings me back to being so grateful for the forum and for having the experience of moderating. It is because I have experience moderating that I got into this graduate program. Moderating caused me to research addiction so I could answer questions and clear up misperceptions. I wish I could say that I've become a more perfect moderator over time. Unfortunately, it's probably just made me tire of BS more quickly when I see it. ;) Nonetheless I am extremely thankful to have the opportunity to moderate.

I am also grateful for my fellow mods, past and present! They have provided me with a wonderful support system as I've gotten to know them. I'm grateful for the long time members who periodically check in and for the newer members who keep me on my toes.

I reiterate my gratitude for Dr. Junig, the creator of this forum and the author of much of my knowledge about suboxone and addiction. Without his support I would not be in graduate school either.

My cup overflows...

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:55 pm 

Gratitude is my favorite thing to think about. I'm so thankful for my life today. Almost four years ago when I was still in active addiction, I never thought that living a normal life again was ever going to be possible. I sure didn't realize how much peace of mind actually meant. Waking up terrified and sick is how I lived for almost six years. I couldn't feel how I feel today without suboxone. I'm grateful that I'm not stealing, lying, or suffering anymore. There's not one day goes by that I take for granted anymore. No matter what the cost of my medication is, what side effects I ever had, it was and is worth it. I wasn't a good person when I was using, but I am now. I couldn't have gotten my life bk without this treatment. That's why I get so defensive with ppl who wants to talk negatively about suboxone, because it has saved my life.

I'm so grateful for this forum and everyone who's a member here. I'm so thankful for Dr J that cares enough to create this forum. I'm very thankful to my fellow mods and giving me the chance to volunteer to help ppl and encourage them to trust this medicine. My gratitude is extremely high because I know what my past was like and every day I'm able to wake up in peace. I'll never take this second chance for granted, I'm going to try to find the positive in everything. I feel so bad for the addict that's still suffering, and I hope that someday I can help make some kind of difference.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:53 pm 

Gratitude doesn't have an expiration date. Let's keep this thread going for as long as possible.

Today I went to see my head and neck surgeon for a cancer screen and all is NED. No evidence of disease. Yea!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:59 am 

Thank God, Rule!! I am so pleased to hear that! I feel badly that I didn't really know or keep track of your cancer when you dealt with it a few years ago. If it were ever to revisit, or any other illness I'll be there if there's ever a problem like that again! But I'm going to pray that it never darkens your doorstep again!!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:59 am 

That's wonderful news!! I remember how nervous I was when my dad thought his cancer had possibly came bk and when the tests or whatever they did came bk ok, it was the biggest relief ever. Awesome news!!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't post as often as I used to, mostly because my daily routine consists of "you be this barbie and I'll be that one" from a 3 year-old...she's made my life totally different since she was born..but sadly she is my 4th child. The other 3, I was busy chasing a high when they were the age she is...so I spend as much time as I can enjoying every day with her...and she loves me dearly.

I've seen addiction ruin so many people...good people who deserved a chance. I can't even have a relationship with my dad because after my brother died from OD on heroin, he has become do distant, he doesn't even acknowledge that I exist anymore. We used to be really close, but just in the past 2 years he has drifted so far into depression that nobody can talk to him.
If he lived down the road, it might work out differently, but he lives 400 miles away in Louisiana. I can only use a telephone to contact him -- or email -- and I get ignored. I've only known my real dad for 15 years...so it was a fragile relationship to begin with.
But, I can say that my mom, who spent 30+ years chasing every high possible, is clean now. She was mostly on meth, opiates, and benzos...but did everything..
I really expected my mom to be the one who I lost early on..and missed out on having a relationship with...but that's not the case at all. I'm so thankful she cleaned herself up...
I might be 37, but I do need at least 1 parent..

It's amazing how much a few years can make a difference...just 8 years ago, I was worrying about where my next oxy would come from ...
I haven't seen one since..
July 7, 2008 was my turning point. There's been nothing since. And it's SO worth it..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:28 pm 

Jonathan! I am so glad to hear that your mom has gotten clean!!! The last I had heard was that you were having to put up major limitations on your relationship with her. That is something so worth being grateful for!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Jonathan! I am so glad to hear that your mom has gotten clean!!! The last I had heard was that you were having to put up major limitations on your relationship with her. That is something so worth being grateful for!

Amy

Yeah, I'm proud of her. She did so much in terms of hard drugs, for so many years... It's a major accomplishment.
Even after 40 years of smoking cigs, she's quit.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.