It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Looks as though everyone has elaborated pretty well on the use of Suboxone legally...with a prescription from a doctor. As with any other medicine prescribed by a doctor, it's quite illegal for an employer to fire someone just for being on a prescription. And even then, the test they generally give for employment screening is only a 5-7 panel test, which detects the most commonly abused controlled substances..Cocaine, Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, Opioid, THC. Usually it's called the NIDA5 test...and they use it because the dip strips are relatively cheap to purchase and results are instant and are rarely wrong.

It would take a lab test to even detect Suboxone...which is excreted as norbuprenorphine.

Aside from this worry, I would be very proud if I were you to be in the position you're in. Sounds like major job security, to me..and if this is your biggest concern..then you should have a great retirement ahead of you.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Kitty36 wrote:
Papacraner,
Just wanted to let you know I completely understand how you feel. I started taking vicoprofen 7.5, 3-4 a day back in 2007 for back pain. It was the only thing that helped. And I've tried everything, short of surgery. Would have tried that too, but I was told it wouldn't be a permanent fix. And I was only 30 at the time. Fast forward to 2013 and I was taking oxycodone 15, 8-10 a day. Finally made the switch to suboxone a little over 4 months ago. It helps my back pain even more than the oxy did. My only side effect is tiredness, extreme at first, but not so bad now that I've cut my dosage down. My supervisor knows I'm on medication. I chose to tell her because I really don't care what anyone thinks. She also knows it's the only reason I'm able to come to work and stand for 8 hours a day. If it helps your pain, I wouldn't worry about coming off it. It's a completely legal medication. I didn't plan on staying on it either. Like you, I didn't want another addiction. But nothing has changed with my back. If anything, it's gotten worse over the years. I'll probably always have to take something. And it's so nice to have a med that actually gets rid of pain, and I don't obsess over it. Not always thinking, when can I take my next pill? Most days I take half of what I'm prescribed. Before I was taking double what I was supposed to. What a difference! Anyway, just wanted to let you know I came upon suboxone the same way as you. Amazing how quickly the pain pills can take over your life! It's nice to have a forum like this so we don't feel so all alone. Best of luck whichever you decide. This place is very supportive of people staying on sub, or trying to taper off. So many knowledgable, friendly people, always willing to help out.

Than you very much for that post Kitty! Almost a carbon copy of my story minus telling my supervisor. I have another reason however to get off these...........my wife. She'had substance abuse problems before meeting me in 1980....at the time I was a big drinker myself. However after seeing we were getting serious and that we only fought when drinking, we both decided to quit. Short of a VERY long story after 11 yrs of marriage discovered she is Bipolar in '93 after a major breakdown mentally. She cannot be around booze....and in 2010 she decided to try one of my pills after hurting her leg. Needless to say, she became addicted....and I was getting into trouble with my Dr for running out my Rx's too soon from her taking my pills. After only a couple months of this she went to her Psychiatrist and put on Suboxone. She was on for 2 yrs....coming off with half a strip every other day just as I was starting. After being off hers for a short time she started taking mine and has become hooked again. Now I'm playing Dr and trying to get her off again giving her 1/4 strip per day...if she cant stop she will have to join the local abuse clinic. So for the sake of this nonsense stopping, I need to get off these!! They DO help with my pain however!!! So you see my circumstance is a bit complicated.

This place is a blessing....havent read much yet but what I have read has made me see I'm not alone, this is a big issue involving many good people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jonathanm1978 wrote:
Looks as though everyone has elaborated pretty well on the use of Suboxone legally...with a prescription from a doctor. As with any other medicine prescribed by a doctor, it's quite illegal for an employer to fire someone just for being on a prescription. And even then, the test they generally give for employment screening is only a 5-7 panel test, which detects the most commonly abused controlled substances..Cocaine, Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, Opioid, THC. Usually it's called the NIDA5 test...and they use it because the dip strips are relatively cheap to purchase and results are instant and are rarely wrong.

It would take a lab test to even detect Suboxone...which is excreted as norbuprenorphine.

Aside from this worry, I would be very proud if I were you to be in the position you're in. Sounds like major job security, to me..and if this is your biggest concern..then you should have a great retirement ahead of you.

Thanks Jonathan....you all have really taken a ton of anxiety away from me!!!!!! :wink:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Back at Kitty.....SOOO true about the abusing !!! Sometimes I have to remind myself to take a piece of my strip....where as with the pills I was always thinking of when I can take my next one!

This place is awesome! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here's a hug for all of you relieving a lot of my anxiety! :wink: