It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Is it a good sign?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Every morning I wake up somewhere between 5 am and 6 am and know that it is time to take my morning dose. Not because I was told to take the dose at that time, but rather because my body starts acting "weird", i.e. feeling warm , agitated, etc. I always try to take my evening dose 12 hours later but for some reason my body doesn't "indicate" to me that I need to take my dose and so I usually go 1 - 2 hours past my dosing time.

Is this a good sign? Do you think I can just dose once a day rather then break it up over 2 doses a day? I know many people dose just once a day but for some reason I am afraid to try it. What if I take the 2 mgs in the a.m. and in the evening I think I need more suboxone? If I take more, then I am going over my 2 mgs a day and I really don't want to go up again.

Any thoughts? Thank you =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Strictly speaking, with sub's very long half-life (average 37 hours), unless you're dosing for pain, once per day dosing is all you should need (physiologically). However, it's still possible that your need for the second dose is psychological - not that it's not still a type of need. Why not just give once per day dosing a try and see how you do? You might very well be ready, especially if you've been forgetting to take the second dose. Some people consider that an indicator that it's time to drop down.

I wish you good luck - and let us know how you make out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you for your reply HatMaker...

Do you think I should just try the 2mgs a day, or should I try and drop down? I am going to a new doctor on Monday and am not sure if I should just wait till I see him before I do anything.

On a side note...I was reading another website about suboxone and someone posted the taper method that their doctor used with them. It was the same one that I have used before that worked great for me and I was off suboxone within 2 weeks. However, that made me very angry with myself and my doctor. I began to think, "What the f*ck did my doctor do to me? Why am I still on suboxone going on three months?" It hurt my mood all day today. I know that I put myself in to the position to have to need suboxone, but the greed of my current doctor, "cash only", really hurt my treatment. I was also reading the manual doctors read in order to treat patients with suboxone and my induction went WAY different then was stated. My doctor literally stuck 8 mgs under my tongue, asked my 5 minutes later if I was better,and when I said no, he stuck another 8ngs under my tongue, repeating this for a third and final time. Now anyone can be a Monday morning quarterback and say I could have stopped him and refused, but with my withdrawals, I wasn't really thinking straight and it was then too late to turn back.

I think I am just starting to babble and upset myself now, so I'm gonna stop her. Rant off...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I were you I'd try the whole 2 mg once in the morning and see how you do for a couple of days. If you take just 1 mg, it's possible that it might not hold you over for a full day. I know when people are tapering off and get that low that they do twice daily dosing. It's like the really low doses don't have as long a half life. Remember, you are below the ceiling.

As for being on sub for 3 months, please consider that it is NOT a very long time. Studies have shown that short term treatment with suboxone very often leads to more episodes of relapse. (I just posted a study on that very subject under the "Links" section.)

I don't recall how long you were in active addiction, but you need time to get your life back on track, to learn to deal with life without turning to drugs, to learn new coping skills, to accept your emotions without dulling them with drugs, etc, etc, etc. Allow yourself time to get stable. Remember, opiate addiction can be a fatal disease. What's the big deal that you need to take a medication to stay in remission? At least that's how I think of it.

Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.