It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ill warn you know, this will be a long story. I feel like I need to share my experience, since I'm likely one of the few women who experienced both sides of a suboxone pregnancy. I in no way intend to make the reader feel like suboxone is a bad choice for pregnant women, or women wanting to start a family, but I feel like I wasn't very well informed until I had to find out for myself. Suboxone saved my life, and I wouldn't have my kids at all without it. That being said, it wasn't all pretty.

I started suboxone in January 2009. I was lucky enough to get on the trial run in my country, and was one of the very first in my area to start treatment. It was a godsend. I went from a heavy IV habit to nothing overnight. I started NA and broke one of their rules right off the bat and started seeing a member with a different DOC who had a clean date just two days after mine. In may of 2009 at just 4 months clean we got the shock of our lives when we discovered I was pregnant. I decided if my sub doctor said there would be no complications due to my medication I would continue the pregnancy. He said there was practically no risk of anything and that I could have a healthy pregnancy on suboxone. We made our decision, moved into a little apartment and started planning for a baby. We later found out it was a girl.

December 2009 I called my doctor for a refill only to find he had left unannounced for vacation with no one to pick up patients needs. At the time I was unaware of the risks surrounding withdrawal and pregnancy, and I figured I had already dropped from 16 to 1 mg and stopping would be no problem. That started three weeks of bad detox. I was 9 months pregnant and in a whole lot of pain. Finally I gave in and called another friend with the same doctor. He said he had the drs on call number and would contact him for me at his lunch break. I thanked him and hung up, when instantly I had a horrible stomach cramp. I thought it was just a regular detox cramp, but soon I noticed one would arrive every three minutes exactly. I rushed to the hospital and explained the situation. Unfortunately they were hugely unsympathetic and I proceeded to labor for ten hours in withdrawal. I know I don't have to tell any of you how unpleasant that would be.

All the ugliness aside, at 10:05 pm on January 17th (my one year clean date to the day) my baby girl was born. There was a large amount of meconium in the fluid, which I suspected may have been related to the detox, but otherwise she suffered no ill effects at all. On our discharge date I realized I couldn't care for a newborn in my condition, and called my doctor for a new prescription. We went home and started our lives together.

Two years later I'm on two Mgs of suboxone. We start talking about giving our daughter a sibling. I talk to my dr about it and he thinks it's a great idea. I ask again about the NAS risk and he tells me he's treated 25 pregnant women and all the babies ended up fine. We start trying, and three months later I was pregnant. We later found out it was a boy.

This pregnancy wasn't quite so simple. They found a kidney defect in the baby (later resolved itself) and a strange sound in his heart (turned out to be three tiny holes which are expected to heal during his infancy). I spent nine weeks on strict bedrest when I started going into labor at 29 weeks. Thankfully he stayed in there and on April 15th 2013 after just 2 hours and 50 minutes of labour I had my 10 lb (!) baby boy. He was perfect. I kept commenting on how easy he was. He never cried, he nursed without any issues at all. He was just perfect.

On his second night things started to go wrong. Suddenly he was gassy and crying. At first I was hoping something I ate was hurting his stomach and it would pass. His skin started to turn fiery red. His body went rigid. He couldn't sleep for more than five minutes. His cries escalated and escalated until finally it was a horrible high pitched shreik of pain. I was alone at the time, which meant I had to page the nurses, tell them "my baby is in withdrawal" and hand him to them knowing that just moments before we were scheduled to go home in the morning, and now it could be months. I was devastated. I've never felt that kind of heartache before and hope never to again. No mother deserves to watch their baby scream in pain while being carried away from her. I launched into such an unbelievably bad panic attack that the doctors decided to knock me out. In the morning they drug tested both myself and the baby, they couldn't believe he could be that sick from subutex, of course we were both clean.

I couldn't leave the building. I refused to go home without my baby. I lived on cafeteria food and vending machine snacks. I lived in a small hospital room watching all the happy mothers taking their healthy babies home. I tried so hard to feel like I was still mothering him. He was too sick to nurse, so I would wake up, pump milk, walk to the NICU to feed him, try to get him to sleep (which he almost never did) and go back to my room to sleep for an hour with an alarm set for the next time I started it all over again. Every few days my daughter would come see me. She was only three and didn't understand why mommy and the baby couldn't just come home. He screamed around the clock in pain. Nurses would all giggle when they'd hear a cry and say "your baby must be awake!" an entire maternity ward, and it was more likely to be my baby's cries than anyone else's. Eventually the nurses had to take turns wearing him in a sling while tending to other babies when I wasn't there, he just couldnt be put down at all. Every now and then his morphine would get low enough that he could come to my room with me. Everytime he would be with me a few hours before he would get too sick and I'd have to take him back. Three times I was told he would come home in the morning, all three times his condition would decline overnight. My sub dr came over a lot to visit, I think he felt guilty.

I begged around the clock for them to let me treat him at home. I just couldnt believe that a noisy NICU, sleeping in a hard plastic bassinet, hooked up to wires and machines was better than a warm dark nursery in his mothers arms in his own home. I wanted him to get to start his life. Eventually I wore them down and after two and a half weeks they agreed I could be sent home with a finnegan scoring chart, a bottle of morphine, and most importantly, my baby. His symptoms were much better managed at home, but this was still a baby in pain. I would walk the hall with him at night while he screamed and clawed at himself while I just sobbed and begged for his forgiveness. I took him back to the hospital every other weekday.

Finally after five long weeks I stopped his morphine. He was okay, finally okay. That week he started smiling and sleeping through the night. To be honest, that was the first time I had smiled or slept in five weeks too.

As always, your mileage may vary. My son had an extremely severe reaction, and I really hope no one is frightened by his story. I just remember sitting and crying to the NICU nurses, saying "I just didn't know. No one told me this could happen. I didn't know.". Would I have stopped treatment if I knew? Who knows? Definitely not if I was already pregnant. But at least I wouldn't have been totally sidelined by it. That's what I hope to accomplish here, prevent another woman from that kind of shock and regret. Questions and comments are welcome :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello sorry to hear that you had to go through all that. I am having a VERY similar experience myself and trust me it is not an experience that you want to have especially with your first child. My sub doctor is the one who encouraged my husband and i to have a child he said it would help with our sobriety to have a child to care. So after about a year my husband and i decided to have a baby. I had done a little research before and read about how babies go through withdraw and have to stay in the hospital for months. We talked to the sub doctor about what would happen to the baby and he said "oh the baby might have to be in the hospital for a couple extra days for monitoring he will be fine because of the small dose your on." He did not say anything about withdraw and the horrible things that my baby and i would have to go through and of course i listened to my doctor and did not do further research (which i should of)!! During my pregnancy I was taking 8 mgs of subutex and i tapered down to 2-4 mgs through out my pregnancy.

My son was born on September 3 2013 and after 2 days he started to show signs of withdraw and pediatrician said he thought he was gonna need help for the withdraw he said "i feel it will be a fairly short stay". He was taken to a Children's Hospital 2 hours away from where i live. Because my husband and i had no place to stay we could only drive out about once a week for a few hours to see our baby. He was having a very hard time they had to keep upping his morphine dose and every time they tried to wean him it wouldn't work. A few weeks ago they maxed him out of the morphine and had to even start him on another narcotic called phenobarbital.

Last week they took him out of the NICU and put him in a private room on one of the general floors so my husband and i can stay with him and actually be able to bond with him. Since we have been here caring for him he seems to be doing so much better they lower his morphine every 48 hours and the phenobarbital on opposite days. It is very easy to comfort him he is kind of fussy but as long as you hold him he calms right down he also sleeps pretty well through the night (as much as he can its hard to sleep here with nurses constantly coming in and messing with him.) I am not sure how bad he was in the NICU only because i didn't get a chance to see him very much and every time i came in he was usually sleeping or content he was never real fussy when i came to visit. But he seems more alert and a much happier baby now before he just seemed like he was always doped up. I would feed him and he could hardly keep his eyes open i don't have a single picture of him during his first couple weeks with his eyes open.

The doctors say if he keeps doing good on the wean he will be able to come home on October 21st or 22nd that's what they are hoping. I hope that he keeps doing good because i really want to take him home he is my first baby and most of my family has only seem him maybe once. I just want to take him home it will break my heart if he has to go back up on his meds but i also don't want to rush him and have him end up with seizures or any other problems.

No one can really explain why some babies go through withdraw and others don't. Maybe bigger babies have more of a chance of getting withdraw my son was 8lb 5oz and you also said your baby was pretty big it also seems like males are more prone to get withdraw i have heard of a lot of boy babies with withdraw. I wish i would have know also i would have totally waited which honestly would have probably helped my sobriety more because then i would have had a reason to get of the suboxone. Right now i'm so stressed out there is no way i could try i even went back to my 8 mg when i had tapered down to 2-4 mg. I also talked to my sub doctor and totally bitched him out and he said "ALL babies have to withdraw when they are exposed to opiates in the womb some have to be in the hospital longer then others." Its like i was NEVER told that i was told he would be fine only a couple days because of my low dose i was never told that it doesn't even matter how much your on your baby still has a chance of going through withdraw.

Good luck with your baby just think the worst is over and you can now enjoy your time together like the whole nightmare never even happened.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your story does sound exactly like mine, doesn't it? I'm so sorry you're still right in the midst of it, but I'm so glad you're able to stay with him now. Those first weeks were the hardest of my life. It sounds like you have a great attitude, your son is lucky to have a mom like you. The one upside to this situation is the even greater than usual joy when we finally bring our babies home. Something only NICU moms will ever experience, not only bringing home a new baby but watching your child finally overcoming illness at the same time. Being a NICU mom is a club no one ever wants to join, but it certainly gives a parenting trial by fire. If we can survive this I bet the terrible two's will feel pretty insignificant by comparison

Big hugs. I hope your son gets home soon.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah its difficult people think a newborn is tiring try having a newborn with NAS. I know how you felt watching other parents get to take their babies home its like you want to feel happy and exited for them but inside you are filled with envy and jealousy. Just like when i read about babies who did not have any withdraw at all i feel angry like why did this happen to my baby? Over all i am happy for everyone who has babies that are healthy and had no problem but for a split second i feel angry. Plus you gotta explain to people why your baby is still in the hospital that's always rough and gets very annoying getting asked "whens your baby coming home"?

My baby is doing very good though (knock on wood) i think he will over come this very soon as long as i stay here with him. The doctors said as long as his NAS scores stay below an 8 they can keep weaning him. I went home for a few nights and his scores where on the border the entire time i was gone. Which he probably wasn't upset because of withdraw he was upset no one was here with him. He does not like to be alone and he loves to be held and rocked and it's hard for the nurses on the floor to have a constant eye on him and constantly be in his room holding and comforting him. Its different from the NICU there's not a nurse in the room caring for him every minute there are 2 nurses and they have an entire floor of children to care for. Yesterday he was VERY irritable and i kept telling the Dr he was constipated and they all kept saying no that's from withdraw when they get irritable they clench up. He would clench up like a baby does when they are pooping and all that would come out was gas and then he would start crying. All day he would only have just a very very small amount in his diaper they said as long as there is something. Today he has been none stop pooping he pooped so much today it was crazy and he seemed so much happier he was easier to comfort he actually slept good i was able to leave a few times without him having a massive fit.

I hate how the nurses and Dr blame everything on withdraw when most of the time its not. I stay up 24/7 making sure he is as comfortable as possible i don't even like when he is throwing a fit about a diaper change because i don't want the nurses hearing him cry and automatically start giving him outrageous NAS scores. But i mean it is very hard to tell if your baby needs something or if they are just crying because they are going through withdraw. As a parent you want to believe that he is only irritated from normal baby things because as everyone knows all babies cry sometimes they cry just to cry but you always have the thought in the back of your head well maybe it is because of withdraw.

Thanks for the hope you said your baby went through withdraw for about 6 weeks and by the sound of it your baby had the same bad reaction that my baby did and he will be 6 weeks old on Tuesday so i am hoping he will be able to handle the wean and get to go home soon. I sure know i am NOT having any babies anytime soon not until i am 100% off suboxone which as soon as he is home and all this stress has past i will differently start weaning myself down and working on getting off suboxone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I always hated how they blamed everything on withdrawal too. Let's say I was just finishing feeding him when the nurse came by to do finnegan scores and he'd spit up, they would give him a point for vomiting despite the fact he'd just eaten and almost all newborns spit up a bit from time to time. On one hand I understood that they needed to score everything they saw just in case my son was in pain and needed more morphine, but on the other hand I was like "common guys! I can't bring my baby home over spit up and the sniffles?"

And I also HATED having to explain why my baby (and I! I just mysteriously disappeared, I wouldn't leave the hospital at all) weren't coming home. I tried to just say "he's healthy and happy, but unfortunately he had a bad reaction to a medication I was prescribed while pregnant." usually that was enough, but there were always those few that kept pushing and pushing until it got to the 'yeah, you caught me, I'm a horrible junky with a sick baby' stage. It really hurt having to go over it over and over to everyone who asked. And it hurt even more that it changed people's reactions about my sons birth from a happy thing to a sad thing.

Here's the thing that's really been my saving grace. Once it's over, it's over. It happens so suddenly, in my case at 0.04 mgs he just started changing. His eyes were clearer, he was happier, everything was suddenly better. And it stays that way! There are no long term effects. From the moment his morphine (and phenobarbital, which thankfully my son didn't need) stops its like all that drama never happened. My baby is 5 months old now. He's wearing little blue pants and a striped red sweater with a fire truck on it. He's curled up in a tiny little ball in my lap nursing to sleep. He's starting to snore a little, which is super cute. He's just learned to crawl and is driving me crazy getting into trouble with his big sister and puppy. Later we're going to go to the park. This is how I see my son, he's a happy healthy little baby who I love with all my heart. Sometimes I go back and look at the few pictures I managed to take of him in his NICU isolette covered in wires and tiny (he was 10 pounds at birth but when he lost the ability to nurse he dropped to 8 pounds very quickly) I have to pinch myself to realize it wasn't just a terrible nightmare. It becomes just a memory so so quickly.

I am so glad to hear your son is doing well. I think I forgot to congratulate you on the new baby, so congratulations! Can I ask his name? My son's name is jack. Have you spoken with the doctors about the possibility of treating him at home? I know certain countries allow that more than others. In my country it's pretty rare, I really had to talk them into it. I had a great experience treating him at home and would really recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah i can not wait until this whole thing is in the past and just a bad memory hoping he stays on track with his wean he will be home in a little over a week (but i wont hold my breathe i have been told "Oh it will only be another week or two plenty of times") But truthfully he seems to be much better he seems like a normal baby to me now he smiles and loves to sit and look around at different things and he is starting to show his own little personality. When just a few weeks ago he could hardly keep his eyes open long enough to eat and if he wasn't eating or sleeping he was screaming and not being very sociable at all.

My sons name is Carson everyone says how much of a cutie he is (which he is very cute what baby isn't?) When he was born he weighed 8lb 5oz and he did not loose a single pound he eats like a pig he is only 1 month old and he takes a 6oz bottle every 4 hrs the withdraws never effected the way he ate. Which i feel very lucky i did not want him to have a hard time feeding and i did not want him to loose weight.

They wont let me take him home and treat him on my own they said he has to be off the narcotics before he can leave. Besides even if they did consider that they would probably want to see him everyday or so and i live 2 hours from the hospital so it would be way to hard. The best they could do was give us our own private room so i could stay and care for him on my own the only thing the nurses do is come in every 4 hrs and give him his meds. It is frustrating though its defiantly not the same as being at home i can only walk about 2 feet away from his bed with him and i got to constantly fight with a bunch of wires that are all wrapped around him. Plus not to mention the monitors whenever i move him around or he is kicking his feet they go off and start beeping half the time he is fussy because he cant sleep with all the loud beeping of the monitor. Those are garbage his monitors are all ways going off and the nurses never even come in to check to see if he is ok its like what if something was wrong!

I like this web site because as shitty as it is it comforts me to know i am not the only one who has to go through this and eventually it does get better and i know my baby will be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also i wanted to ask when you weaned your baby down to almost nothing did he go through really bad withdraw like when you completely took the morphine away? Or did his attitude stay the same happy baby?

Today they lowered his morphine and his phenobarbital at the same time and he seemed a little agitated this morning. At first he was this happy smiling, giggling little baby and then all of a sudden he was like a totally different baby he just got really upset and it was hard to comfort him. Which this made me worry that he isn't gonna do good when they lower it even farther. I think they said his morphine is at .4 or something like that, and they have been lowering it every other day for about the last 2 weeks almost.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:19 pm 

I'm so glad that the two of you have found each other! As much as the rest of us want to help and understand, we never truly will. I wish both of you the best. Thank you for sharing your stories.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here's a copy of our weaning schedule at home (I kept all my notes). This rate is much slower than typical but it worked phenomenally.

He came home on 0.15 mg from there we went to
0.13 mg every 6 hours for 36 hours
0.11 mg every 6 hours for 12 doses
0.10 mg every 6 hours for 12 doses
0.08 mg per 6 hours x 12 doses
0.06 mg " "
0.04 mg " "
0.02 mg " "
Nothing

When we were in the hospital he did fine with his reductions until we hit 0.1. When they'd drop from 0.1 to 0.05 or nothing at all he would get so sick that they'd need to go all the way back to 0.3. So understandably we slowed down a lot. But once we finally stopped he was 100% fine. I was amazed. We ended up only staying at 0.02 mg for about 12 hours as it was extremely difficult to accurately measure and I felt he would be okay without that microscopic amount. He showed no reaction at all. No sleep disturbance, no extra messy diapers, nothing. If anything he seemed happier and healthier when we stopped it. I think the key is to gO as slow and small as possible at the very end to ease the transition.

Putting jack down for his nap now, I'll check back in later. I hope your son is having a good day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And to Amy, thank you for your kind words. I was hoping even just one mother going through what I went through would find me (I know I spent every free moment googling "suboxone and neonatal abstinence syndrome" in the NICU, I hope other moms find me the same way) and maybe not feel so alone for a moment.

And for anyone else reading this, I wanted to add that I've opted to get email notifications when someone posts on this thread. If a mother reads this and needs to ask questions or talk, even if it's 5 years from now, please do comment and I will reply,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah the first few times they tried to wean Carson he would just get very sick and they would have to bring his morphine back up i am not sure what the max dose was but i know it was a lot they where giving him 2 full syringes on morphine every 4 hrs. Right now he is getting 0.35 mg every 4 hrs and tomorrow he will be getting 0.30 mg every 4 hrs. This seems to be working today he was very good he slept all day except for when he got up to feed, and then he would usually stay up for about an hour before falling back asleep. The only time he got fussy with me was when he woke up but he is always unhappy until he is fed. He acts like he has never eaten before he takes 6 oz every 4 hrs and he drinks so fast he gets an upset stomach so i have to burp him a lot and he gets so mad when you take away his bottle.

I have to go home for a few days so i can take care of a few things and its gonna break my heart to leave him. He is usually real fussy with the nurses when i am away and then they score him real high which really makes me nervous that they will give him more morphine while i am away just because he is upset that i am gone (you know how nurses can be).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ladies!

I have been reading this thread since the beginning. My heart goes out to you both and your sweet babies. I just wanted to let you know I'm reading, not commenting because I just don't have anything to add.

I'm really happy though, that you took the time to post this. As you know, when you are in this situation it helps just to have one person to relate to you! Please keep the updates coming!

I'm praying for little Carson to be happy and calm while his mommy is away this week.

Q

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Qhorsegal2 Thank you for the comment! Unfortunatly I could only spend a night at home and I had to drive right back out to the hospital the next night. When I called to check on Carson the nurse said he was very agitated and the doctors where talking about giving him a higher dose of morphine. So I can right back to figure out what was going on because he was doing great when I left! I found out that the reason he was agitated was because the dumb nurse forgot to give him his phenobarbital the entire day!! But now that I have been back he is back on schedule and doing great I just can not leave until he comes home because I have to keep on top of these people apparently!

They said he will be done with both medications on Thursday and as long as he doesn't relapse he will be able to go home Saturday! I think he will do fine hopfully he seems to be doing very well!! This week he has had less fits where he just crys for no reason he also has longer happy periods. I haven't had to hold him all day long he is starting to calm himself and be able to sit in his swing for a longer period of time without freaking out! Usually if I put him in his swing he would only be happy in it for about 5 minutes and then he would start freaking out and wanting to be held! He is also sleeping a lot better I haven't had to rock him to sleep for an hour and slowly put him in his crib he has been falling asleep on his own!

I will keep you updated and let you know if he can come homenext Saturday!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:32 pm 

Mjl1389 wrote:
Qhorsegal2 Thank you for the comment! Unfortunatly I could only spend a night at home and I had to drive right back out to the hospital the next night. When I called to check on Carson the nurse said he was very agitated and the doctors where talking about giving him a higher dose of morphine. So I can right back to figure out what was going on because he was doing great when I left! I found out that the reason he was agitated was because the dumb nurse forgot to give him his phenobarbital the entire day!! But now that I have been back he is back on schedule and doing great I just can not leave until he comes home because I have to keep on top of these people apparently!

They said he will be done with both medications on Thursday and as long as he doesn't relapse he will be able to go home Saturday! I think he will do fine hopfully he seems to be doing very well!! This week he has had less fits where he just crys for no reason he also has longer happy periods. I haven't had to hold him all day long he is starting to calm himself and be able to sit in his swing for a longer period of time without freaking out! Usually if I put him in his swing he would only be happy in it for about 5 minutes and then he would start freaking out and wanting to be held! He is also sleeping a lot better I haven't had to rock him to sleep for an hour and slowly put him in his crib he has been falling asleep on his own!

I will keep you updated and let you know if he can come homenext Saturday!

Way to be there for your boy!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tomorrowtoday wrote:
And to Amy, thank you for your kind words. I was hoping even just one mother going through what I went through would find me (I know I spent every free moment googling "suboxone and neonatal abstinence syndrome" in the NICU, I hope other moms find me the same way) and maybe not feel so alone for a moment.

And for anyone else reading this, I wanted to add that I've opted to get email notifications when someone posts on this thread. If a mother reads this and needs to ask questions or talk, even if it's 5 years from now, please do comment and I will reply,

Hey T.T.

I've also been reading along and wanted to wish you the absolute best! Your a wonderful mom and the baby will reap the rewards because of your love and compassion!

I'm expecting my first child at the end of March. I was lucky enought to be off the Subutex at the beginning of September. But your story may help me another time if I am blessed to be a mom for the 2nd time one day. And you are helping so many other moms that are just reading along right now.

QHorsegal and Amy are truly amazing and wonderful friends to have along with you. They have given me so much advice, suggestions, love and support since I first joined. It still continues now. I don't really know Mjl1389, but I'm sure the same applies to her too!

Mjl1389....your an amazing mom!

We're all in this together at one time or another. I for one know how special it is to get all the support possible along the way. This forum provides that with wonderful members that truly do care about you T.T.

Hang in there and keep us informed. Take care and have a great weekend!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After 50 long days in the hospital i finally got to bring my little guy home! He is did very well after they stopped his the meds completely. I got to bring him home Saturday the first night he was home it was hell trying to get him to sleep he was so tired but he would not go to sleep. When he was in the NICU they always let him sleep on his belly and when i was able to stay with him in the hospital i started getting him use to at least being on his side. The doctors said i could let him sleep like that at home that he could only sleep on his back but he will not sleep like that for anything! I even tried leaving him on his side until he was sound asleep and turning him on his back but nope he always knows! Other then that he is doing better then ever hes such a little character and spoiled like you would not believe. He will not let me or my husband put him down or he just throws a fit, but can you blame him after all he has gone through! Everyone says oh you have to just let him cry but i cant stand to hear him cry so i gotta run over and pick him up. But i honestly do need to brake him of that a little bit it is so hard to get anything done or even eat for that matter when he wants your constant attention or he is not happy.. lol!!

I just wanted to thank everyone who commented just the support helped me get through this tough time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm 

MJ, so glad to hear that your little guy is home!!! Congratulations on getting through that long and difficult time! How could the nicu let him sleep on his stomach when all they tell you is to put them "back to sleep"!! (BTW, you might want to try swaddling him nice and tight before you put him down.)

Very happy for your family!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much! Apparently the only way they could get him to sleep was to keep him on his belly i swaddle him really tight but i have to lay him on his side or he will just not sleep. My mom said my sisters and i always slept on our sides and i put him between a foam pad so he cant roll but i still worry and i check on him constantly! He is a hand full its like he is traumatized he screams if we put him down for even a minute if we are sitting right next to him he is alright for little while but if we walk away he freaks out. It is stress full because we always have to be holding him or he will freak out! He does not take very long naps unless we are holding him if we lay him down he just knows and will wake right up within like 15 minutes and if he doesn't get naps he is so cranky by evening. We cant even take him very far in the car because he hates being in his car seat and screams the entire time. His home nurse said we have to break him of that a little bit but i really don't know how i don't like hearing him cry every one says oh you just have to let him cry. Its just really hard because the baby is crying and then me and my husband start bickering at each other. I am sure he will out grow it once he realizes that we are not going anywhere and we are never going to leave him ever again like that.

All i know is i will never have another baby unless i am 100% off the suboxone because this was not an experience anyone should ever have. I still have nightmares that he has to go back to the hospital!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:07 pm 

Have you see this book? http://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Baby-Blo ... 0553381466

I recently read a lot of it and it makes so much sense. I don't know if it will be helpful to you, but it can't hurt!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am so happy your babies are doing well... I don't think I would have the strength as you mothers have to go through this... You are very strong women... I wish you all the very best and congratulations on your beautiful baby boys..

I noticed you all had baby boys. Does anyone think boys have a harder time with this than girls? Tomorrow's first baby was a girl and from what I read her baby was withdrawal free?