It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been really bothered by my monthly ordeal for a long time now but have put off dealing with it. For one, when I was on a decent amount of Suboxone, at least the cramping wasn't so awful. For another, I got to where I was scared to go and of what I might find out, which is stupid of me.

I put on my big girl pants and finally woman-ed up and went to the doc, who did blood work and told me I need a hyterectomy. My blood iron levels are totally tanked, which is not surprising, and this is causing me tons of issues. For one, I have to back off my Clonidine, because apparently my blood pressure is pretty abnormally low (85/55). That's probably why the Clonidine sometimes hits me so hard. Anemia and hypotension can cause a bunch of other things that I've attributed to Sub w/d, such as very painful legs and a racing heart when I run. It can also cause extreme fatigue and the desire to ear stuff like ice, which I'm helplessly addicted to. Soooo...this surgery may help me feel a LOT better!!

However, I'm still on .125 mg of Sub. The doctor said I could talk to the anesthesiologist and ask whether this would be an issue. My surgery will be in about a 3-4 weeks. I guess I have to jump. Not sure. Has anyone on here had a hyterectomy and was it truly even that painful? I'm wondering if I can skate through this with an OTC painkiller, especially since it is laproscopic, I've handled three c-sections, and I have a huge amount of trouble stomaching painkillers after getting anesthesia. I am totally unwilling to up my Sub dose as a method of managing pain. I'm hoping to just be able to be done by then or to feel okay about not needing any prescribed pain meds, but I wanted to hear firsthand accounts from anyone who has had one or had someone close to them have one.

Thanks,
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang, ladder....if it's not something it's some other thing, huh? I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this, but I'm glad to hear that you might get resolution of all those other troubling issues.

My mom had a hysterectomy, but that was like 30 years ago before the laproscopic surgery was available. She was in bed for a week at home if I recall. I'm sure she had some pain meds. She said it was the best decision she ever made though - she had uterine fibroids that gave her hell.

I had my appendix out via laproscopic surgery. I don't know how comperable that is except that it's lapro and it's abdominal. I needed pain meds the first 48 hours for sure, I think I was on morphine and toradol. I was back to work a few days after that. Not happily, but I did it.

I think what the nurse told me was that it hurts a lot at first because they fill your abdomen with gas so they can see what they're doing in there with the camera.

I would think though that at your really small dose you will be able to get pain relief with whatever the regular pain meds they give people post-op are. Maybe you could just quit a few days before the surgery. At your dose you should have plenty of free opiate receptors though.

If I was you I would just tell my surgeon that I've been on painkillers for chronic pain so I might have some level of tolerance. (That is why you were on Sub, right?) They might care and write your orders with a higher dose, or they might just be like whatever. It seems really hit or miss with doctors. Or if you really don't want any opiates, tell them and see if there's some other option for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ladder, I know you don't know too much about me but I have read most everything on this forum and have SO much in common with you. Here is another one, I had a lap hysterectomy in May. I have endometriosis but was also battling low blood pressure and anemia. It is good to get this taken care of. In June of 2010 I was 20weeks pregnant with my girls and wound up in the icu because of it. They couldn't get my heart rate under 170, my blood pressure got as low as 30's/50's and never higher than 50's/70's and I was severely anemic. Your red blood cell count should be 13 or higher (if I remember correctly) and mine was 7. I had to have 2 blood transfusions and at one point they were gonna give me a med that would stop my heart for a few seconds to try to slow it down, they hooked me up to paddles and everything. I am not telling you this to scare you as I am sure the stress of a twin pregnancy exacerbated my problems but want you to know you are making the right choice to fix this now because it can cause really scary problems.

Ok for the pain, Diary is right the surgical pain is pretty mild but the gas pain can be quite severe. My first laprascopy the gas hurt and it sucked but the gas pain from my hysterectomy was BAD, it lasted for about 2-3 days. However it was back when I was being prescribed high doses of oxy and it was a different Dr that did the surgery. The hospital did not control my pain well at all. I do remember saying if I knew the gas would hurt this bad I would have preferred to be cut open. It could have been a bad experience because my lap prior to repair a hernia did not have near the gas pain but it still hurt quite a bit. I know people will think I am crazy but I really would prefer an open surgery. I have had 3 c-sections and although you hurt longer I never thought the pain was very severe. I do not think you will get adequate pain relief with otc, however being on a such a low dose I would think they should be able to control your pain. Please let me know if you have any other questions I am more than happy to help!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just read what I wrote and realized it sounds much worse than it was so I am sorry for that. Yes, the gas pain sucked but its not the end of the world, I think I am just very bitter about the care I received. Like i said at the time I was prescribed 150mg of oxy a day and they were giving me a 30 mg oxycotin and lortab for break thru pain, which is probably why it hurt so bad and not the 1st time. My 1st nurse was good and would give me a shot of morphine every 2 hours which would help a lot but for like 20 min. My 2nd nurse treated me like a junkie and didn't want to give the morphine even though it was ordered. About an hour before I was discharged I finally saw the Dr and they said I was under medicated, well thanks could have used that 2 days ago. Anyway just make sure you get adequate pain control and you will be fine. Again sorry for being overly dramatic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Ladder,

I've obviously never had a hysterectomy, but I wanted to jump in and have you look into Toradol. DoaQ mentioned it and I have heard from several people who say it's quite effective for pain relief.

I sure hope this surgery addresses all of those problems you were having, that would be Fantabulous!!!

Post subject: Enough Already
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:53 pm 

LT, I cannot even comprehend just how tough you are. With all you've been through and now this. It's in three weeks, if you jump now you should be in pretty decent shape by then, don't ya think? That is one I surely can't answer but to those who have jumped, is it a good idea this close to the surgery date? .125 surely isn't much but I know you wanted to get down lower before quitting.

What does the doctor say?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

laddertipper wrote:
<snip>
However, I'm still on .125 mg of Sub. The doctor said I could talk to the anesthesiologist and ask whether this would be an issue. My surgery will be in about a 3-4 weeks. I guess I have to jump. Not sure. Has anyone on here had a hyterectomy and was it truly even that painful? I'm wondering if I can skate through this with an OTC painkiller, especially since it is laproscopic, I've handled three c-sections, and I have a huge amount of trouble stomaching painkillers after getting anesthesia. I am totally unwilling to up my Sub dose as a method of managing pain. I'm hoping to just be able to be done by then or to feel okay about not needing any prescribed pain meds, but I wanted to hear firsthand accounts from anyone who has had one or had someone close to them have one.

Thanks,
laddertipper

I have had a hysterectomy when I was around 33- but I still have my ovaries.
(I am 41 now.) Do you know what kind of hysterectomy that you will be getting?
I mean- will you be getting a "complete" hysterectomy (including ovaries)
- or will you be getting a regular (I don't know what the medical name is for it)
hysterectomy- in which they leave your ovaries alone?

When I had my hysterectomy, I was not on subs-
so- to be honest- I don't know if you really would want to
read about my experience or not.

Please let me know if you do.

Either way, good luck.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you guys so much for your support and replies. DOAQ and Breezy_Ann, I feel so stupid for not thinking about the fact that they fill you will gas. DUH! Now, I KNOW that hurts. I've heard. I'm going to leave the pain meds option available. I also will ask for Toradal. I've had that before and it is a fantastic med. With my last section, it helped me twice as much as the 'real' pain meds did. They said I could not get a take-home script for it, which I investigated and found to be untrue.

I had an ultrasound done already and, assuming everything looks okay, the doctor is leaving my ovaries and my cervix. I debated about the cervix, but apparently it helps hold up your bladder from prolapse, and I haven't had any bad paps either. Also, you can loose your G-spot if you lose your cervix! :shock: Right when I got my sex drive back? Now thanks! Only my uterus is coming out.

exorphin, I am 33 too! I'd love to hear your account, regardless of whether you were on Sub. I'll be off it when this happens.

I'm really nervous about any sort of surgery. It just freaks me out. I have not had good experiences with anesthesia in the past. I wake up so miserable and shaking and puking. That fear is completely distracting me from any fear of jumping off Sub, lol. I just wish they could put me out some other way and then put the IV in! I'm going to beat it into the anesthesiologist that I do not do well with being put out.

I only took 1/16 the past two days and will take that much tonight too. I'm going to only take what I absolutely need until this coming Thursday, when I get back from a short trip. Then, I'm thinking I will jump to give myself time to clear out my system.

Something weird has happened with this taper. It used to make me feel icky to drop more than 10%, which was most drops. Now, I can suddenly decrease from 1/8 to 1/16 and not feel much, other than some RLS and not being able to sleep well. I don't even feel fatigued all that much. I feel almost nothing. How is that? How can I drop 50% and that's all that happens? Is it because now it's a full agonist? I really am starting to feel in my heart that I've already done the hardest part and I just have to cut the cord. I'm not really nervous and I feel pretty ready to handle it. I think I'll just be tired for a while and not be able to sleep well and my legs will bug me.

Romeo, so are you saying you still have your uterus? LOL! Thanks for being a sweetheart, dude. And thank you for hounding me to go to the doctor. I deserved to be hounded about it.

Rule_62, I really would have thought I'd be terrified, but my body has already let go of Sub so much that I can feel it and I feel calm and ready and totally unafraid. Perhaps, that is the whole point of tapering....so you can get to the end and not be scared. Also, the idea that my 'female issues' will finally be gone is such a humongous relief!!!!!! It's a relief to have finally sucked it up and acknowledged them, even though I didn't want to acknowledge them because I was worried I'd have to have some sort of surgery! :roll: I really am a big dork. The doc doesn't know much about Sub, other than my dose is 'very low'. He said we need to figure out the Sub issue with the anesthesiologist, but he doesn't see it being a problem.

The doc said this will take about 40 minutes, assuming he doesn't come across anything unexpected, and I can go home that same day. No hospital stay. YAY! Will let you guys know when I get the exact date. Thanks for your support!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ladder, I forgot to ask. How are they doing the laprascopy? They can do it thru a very small incision on you lower abdomen or do it thru your vagina. Mine was thru my vagina, I think it is a less painful way. My prior lap was the small incision on my lower belly and was a bit more sore. I am not sure if they can do it thru your vagina since they are leaving your cervix, I had mine removed. I had no idea you could loose your g spot, thank god that didn't happen. They left my ovaries but now I have to have the left one removed but I am putting it off cause I do not want to go thru a surgery on sub. Let me know if you have any other questions about your hysterectomy,and you will be fine you are strong and you'll make it off sub and have adequate pain control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Ladder - Can they do the surgery with a spinal block instead of general? That might help with the post-op pain too. Of course, then you're awake for the thing and that has it's own drawbacks, but if you get that sick coming out of general it might be an option.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

They cannot do it through your va-gay-gay unless you are getting your cervix out. At this point, I'd like to keep that thing.

Holy crap, DOAQ, I could not do this awake. I freaked out during my c-sections.....being spayed open and hearing them yacking about your insides while you are listening is very disturbing. It would be a good idea, except that I'm too much of a wimp. Wanna do it for me? LOL! I think they just spin some sort of thing around in there to obliterate the uterus. My good buddy had it done and she explained it in grreeeaaatttt deal. It sounds like a smart way of doing things, but I want to be out cold while they blender my organ.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey ladder,

Do the spinal block and put in some ear plugs you ding dong!!

BTW, I had no idea this thread was gonna be a lesson in female anatomy.....even though I still don't really know what half the stuff you girls are talking about is.....and that's fine with me.....no need to explain any of it.......forget I even said anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry Romeo I forgot the V word makes you nervous, I will take ladder's term and refer to it as a va-jay-jay from now on. You ok with that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

laddertipper wrote:
Thank you guys so much for your support and replies. DOAQ and Breezy_Ann, I feel so stupid for not thinking about the fact that they fill you will gas. DUH! Now, I KNOW that hurts. I've heard. I'm going to leave the pain meds option available. I also will ask for Toradol. I've had that before and it is a fantastic med. With my last section, it helped me twice as much as the 'real' pain meds did. They said I could not get a take-home script for it, which I investigated and found to be untrue.

I had an ultrasound done already and, assuming everything looks okay, the doctor is leaving my ovaries and my cervix. I debated about the cervix, but apparently it helps hold up your bladder from prolapse, and I haven't had any bad paps either. Also, you can loose your G-spot if you lose your cervix! :shock: Right when I got my sex drive back? Now thanks! Only my uterus is coming out.

exorphin, I am 33 too! I'd love to hear your account, regardless of whether you were on Sub. I'll be off it when this happens.

<snip>

The doc said this will take about 40 minutes, assuming he doesn't come across anything unexpected, and I can go home that same day. No hospital stay. YAY! Will let you guys know when I get the exact date. Thanks for your support!!!

laddertipper

Hi, laddertipper. OK, I will share my experience of my hysterectomy with you-
of what I can remember of it, that is.
Please keep in mind that this was about 8 years ago; and that the ob/gyn doctor
was prescribing me oxycontin- the pink ones- (20 mg, I believe?)- 1 a day-
*before* I had the surgery- for severely painful and heavy periods, for about a month or so.
As well, I had also had my tubes tied several years before I had my hysterectomy surgery done.

Anyway, my procedure was a vaginal hysterectomy- and they also had taken out my
cervix, and my appendix. To be honest, I cannot remember if I had to stay overnight for my
hysterectomy surgery, or not- it had felt like it was an overnight stay; but I cannot accurately recall.

Regarding the actual procedure: I recall waking up in the recovery room, and then was moved
to a semi-private room, and they had had me on a PCA (patient-controlled analgesia) unit-
that was filled with Dilaudid. They had kept me on a catheter- which I had to find out via
some doctor on the internet about how to remove it myself. Anyway, the doctor had kept my
pain under control- and I had quite a tolerance to opiates/opioids at that time- especially
from prior use, and from being on the daily Oxycontin.

Furthermore, the doctor had sent me home with a prescription for Oxycontin- the pink ones, again-
(20 mg, I believe?) ; and I could take up to two a day.
That medicine had kept my pain under adequate control.

I am SO glad that I have had my hysterectomy; and I definitely do NOT regret
having had it.

Do you know exactly WHEN you will be having this surgery done?

Oh- and regarding Toradol- I have taken this before.
I have discovered that *for me* high doses of ibuprofen has worked
more effectively; Toradol CAN be very hard on the gastrointestinal tract/ stomach.

If there are any specific questions that you would like to ask me,
please PM me.

Good luck with your surgery.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

exorphin, thanks so much for your story. You definitely had more stuff taken out than I will be having done. That probably made it at least a bit more painful. In the back of my mind, I always wonder what doctors really know about what an experience is like. I mean, obviously, this man has not had his uterus out, right? So, I like hearing from people who have been there/done that. He said it would be less painful than a section. I know with my sections, I was sore but generally okay on pain once I was discharged after 5 days. With my third one, I went back onto Sub and didn't take any of the take home pain meds and really didn't need them at all. I just hope it will be uncomfortable a few days and then fine.

I don't have an absolute day set for this. He said he had to get the results back from the ultrasound so insurance reasons and then insurance would clear me and he could put it on the schedule. I'm gonna call today to see if all that stuff is back yet. It will probably be in another 2-3 weeks, and I'm going to try to push it back to 3 weeks so I can be sure any remaining Sub is out of me.

Thanks again!
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG, "Blender My Organ" is my new favorite phrase. Ahhh!

Regarding the Toradol take-home scrip - I think the reasoning there is that it Toradol only really works well as an IV or IM shot. They have pills that you can take orally but they don't really work. So maybe that's why they said you can't get it as a take home. I wish it was available as a take home med. I get shots of it sometimes for my migraines and it really helps with my "fibro" pain too. I hear it's hard on the kidneys though.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with your dr, the hysterectomy itself was much less painful than a c-setion. Really your just sore, it is just the gas that sucks because it travels all over, up in your chest and shoulders. It only lasts for a couple days and it is not a constant pain, just when it starts moving around. Getting up and walking around helps to get it out and when it gets up in your shoulders have your husband massage the, it will really help I also did not think my c-sections were bad, I mean yeah it hurts but nothing terrible and sonce you feel the same way about your c-sections I am sure you will breeze thru this just fine.

You don't have to answer this, I am just curious. Did you have complications with your c-sections? 5 days seems like a long time to be kept in the hospital. I was only kept for 2 days after each of mine. Maybe it's just protocol at the hospital you delivered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi laddertripper! When is your surgery? I didn't read through all the replies I'm sure you have gotten great feedback but I just wanted to share that I had a tubal ligation last week after I had my baby and I've been on Subutex 4-6 mg a day for 3 years. I did not even stop taking it beforehand, I had taken my last dose of 2 mg the night before. I had talked to the doctor when she consulted with me a couple days before and decided that I would just use toradol and OTC pain killers. I was told that anesthesia would not be a problem and it wasn't. I was in quite a bit of pain when I woke up, they gave me a shot of toradol in recovery which helped a little and then I had 800 mg ibuprofen when I got back to my room. They did fill me with gas so I was having some pain from that too. It was tolerable though and as soon as I got up and moved around it started getting better. I continued taking 1000 mg tylenol and 800 mg ibuprofen which I was alternating between the two at first but found that taking them together every 4-6 hours was more effective. The doctor must have forgotten to order the toradol like she said she would but I didn't have the nurse call her for an order because the other was effective enough for me. I continued to take my subutex as usual. It did get pretty painful at times over the next 2 days but it was tolerable and moving around and walking really helped! Also, heat packs helped some too. I know a hysterectomy is a bit more extensive than a tubal but I will tell you I used to work on a surgical unit as a nurse and took care of post-op hysterectomies every day. Some women didn't even need the narcotic pain meds and they did just fine. The sooner you get up after surgery and walk the better and even though it may be painful at first I promise it will help! Right before I quit they had started doing some of the laprascopic hysterectomies as out-patient procedures. I really don't think you will have any trouble, plus you are on such a low dose of sub that the other narcotics will work better if you need them but honestly you might not. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DOAQ, lol! I actually like that song too. :D

Breezy_Ann, I don't know why I had to stay five days. I didn't have complications after the fact....weird! And I had my kids at three different hospitals too.

Chaotic, I don't know when it is. The scheduler is 'out of the office' and I'm not pleased because I really need to plan for it. I may be on the schedule and not know it, which would really stink.

So, I was supposed to 'jump'. Actually, I planned to take my last 1/16 on Wednesday night, and I took it at 1 a.m. I was on a little vacation and we got back to the room late. Anyway, then on the way home yesterday, I started my period AGAIN! Soooooo ticked about it being five days early when it lasts five days longer than normal!! I did not take my Sub last night. I did sleep a good five hours, which is plenty. However, I feel like I'm fighting a bug. My throat kills, my cramps are insane, and I have stomach troubles from lack of Sub. I do feel weighted down and weak and period-crappy. My cramps should be illegal. Combined, these factors are making me a little bit :evil: but I'm going to soldier on a little more. If I end up needing another 1/16, I won't beat myself up over it, but I want to see how hard I can push it. I'd like to get through tonight, even if I don't sleep. I have a really long day tomorrow (long drive to cheer/working @ cheer/watching an air show after/etc.), so if I do all that and end up needing some Sub afterward, that's okay. Hopefully I won't, but I'm not boxing myself in, lol.

For a long time I was struggling while dosing three times a day! At this point, I have not had any Sub for 40 hours. I'm doing pretty well and cannot complain (too much anyway).

Thank you wonderful people for holding me up. It's funny....even a couple days away and I miss this place. :wink:

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

40 hours and counting, WAY TO GO LADDERTIPPER!!!!!!!

I'm glad God didn't give men periods.....can you imagine how bad we big babies would complain?? You women are tough stuff!!

Hang in there Bud, you're so close. Remember how far you've come over the last year, remember all the seemingly insurmountable hurdles that you have cleared......you are stronger than you know and I'm gonna keep reminding you of that until my fingers fall off.