It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I posted in the doctor story forum about being kicked out of my program for ambien. Now if I drop to 8mg a day I'm good for 4 months and feel I should drop it anyway. My question is will it be hard? Should I go to 10mg first or will I be almost perfectly fine going to 8mg. Guess id do 4am and 4pm? Its been 30 days now at 12 mg and I feel great. I just hope this doesn't make me get cravings. I know no one can really answer these for sure as we r all different but if anyone did a similar drop maybe you have some advice. I wanna conserve my sub asap just in case its a long time before I find a new doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion it's a toss up - you may or may not feel a drop from 12 to 8 mg. Usually as long as someone is still comfortably above the ceiling (around 4 mg), a drop like that, in theory, should pose minimal discomfort. If you go straight to 8 mg, you'll know in about 2-4 days if you felt it. If you do, then you can always add that extra 2 mg to be at 10 and that should relieve any discomfort. Good luck with it...and let us know how it goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker thanks again. Ill definitely give it a try as ive wanted to drop now anyway to 8mg. And yeh if i feel it i have plenty to go up to 10mg for a while. Hopefully i can find a doctor quickly. Even though i have plentyt meds id prefer having a doc to call if needed. I just hope i can get accepted by another now that ive been kicked out by one doctor.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can tell you that I personally dropped from 12mg to 8mg without any trouble whatsoever. Especially if you are doing AM and PM dosing, I really doubt you will have any problem. I would suggest that you at least give it a try. If nothing else, like Hat said, you'll start to maybe feel "something" around day 3 and if you do and you really can't stand it, you could always take an extra 2mg or something, but honestly, I don't think you'll need to nor should you. Bottom line is: going from 12mg to 8mg is not going to produce any significant withdrawal symptoms for you. It just won't. Plus, even if it does, the worst case would be that you feel a bit icky for a few hours and then just take another 2 or 4 mg and you'll be back to "normal" in about 90 minutes. I honestly don't think you'll feel much if any difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went from 12mg to 8mg with no major issues as well. There were some minor, minor symptoms, but I would be willing to bet good money that those symptoms were all in my head.

I don't think you'll have any real trouble at all.

I hope you're able find a new doctor very soon. I know how scary it must have been to get kicked out of your program.

Actually, after a while at 8mg, it's not that hard to get to 6mg if you needed to. That might be an option to keep in your back pocket. It'll buy a little more time if needed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did 12 to 8 before as well and had next to zero symptoms. 12 to 10 would almost certainly give you no symptoms. 12 to 8 may give you some but I'd be willing be bet they will not be bad and by Day 6, you will be fine. And even if it's a bit too much, you certainly could take an extra 2 mg to get through that day and then go back to 8.

Good luck! I really do hate that this has happened to you though.

laddertipper

Post subject: From 12 to 8 mgs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:36 pm 

I was going to post this very question to you all but considering it has been answered already there is no need.

Yesterday I went from 12 to 10mgs, but today I decided to go ahead and just split a 8mg film and dose twice. Like Laddertipper said, if I do feel anything at all I can always take the other 2mgs, or 4mgs for that matter.

On all the other tapers I've done I haven't felt the least of symptoms. Went from 24 to 16, then to 12. So doing a 4mg drop again shouldn't make any difference.

Now to actually do it and not feel guilty is another thing. I say that because my doctors nurse told me NOT to adjust my dosage myself. It's against the rules. They control my dosage and I have to do what they say. What do you all think about that?

But let me tell you about my doctor and his nurse wife. They are the most kind, generous, helpful, healing couple I have ever encountered. That is why I tend to do what she says. (he doesn't care one way or the other) Last time I dropped from 24 to 16 on my own, she got mad at me. Mostly because you are supposed to bring in whatever left over films, pills, you have. And one time I didn't bring in the bottle but told her I had 15 8mg pills left. She had a fit! She said it's because Sub is a tightly controlled substance and they have to account for every pill. Whoops! I still feel more secure having some backup stashed away just in case we have another earthquake or something. (I'm in So.Ca)

So that's my story for today. I've only taken 4mgs at 10:00AM and will take the other at 4pm. We'll see how I feel in a couple of days.

This forum rocks BTW. It is a large part of my recovery and I really depend on all your expertise about Suboxone. So thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are NOT the only one who feels the need to have a 'stash' of suboxone. I know I did it, I know many, many others who do it too. Like you said, if something crazy happens, at least you'll enough to 'ride out the storm'

As for your taper. Suboxone has a ceiling effect. Most agree it's somewhere in the 4mg neighborhood. Because of this ceiling effect, most people who are tapering don't notice much discomfort until they get around the 4mg mark. Some notice a lot of resistance from their mind/body around 8mg, some don't notice any discomfort until under 4mg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm 
I just wanted to add that I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone on this thread. I also personally have made drops from 16mg pretty much straight down to 8mg/day with minimal symptoms at all.....the only thing that seems to consistently happen to me with dosage drops is a runny nose! Every time....runny nose....crazy! But then again, that was always the first and mildest symptoms I got when I'd run out of my former drugs of choice. I do recall it being a little more difficult going down to 6, but not so much physical symptoms, more 'head stuff'...cravings and such. It became increasingly more difficult to deal with cravings once at or under 4mg/day. In fact, I made it all the way down to about 1mg/day fairly painlessly.....except for the dang cravings. In my experience and opinion, it wasn't physically difficult to taper Suboxone. The hard part was, as I said, the head stuff. In the end, the cravings overcame me at that 1mg point and I had a brief relapse. What I have come to believe is that, physically 4mg/day of Suboxone is enough, but 'mentally', for adequate craving control, often 4mg/day is not enough. That's why I think the therapeutic dose of Sub varies so much from one person to another and why there are such varying results with tapering. Just my opinion.
Good luck to you who are tapering...take your time and make sure (as much as you can) that you're stabilizied and not craving before each consecutive drop in dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Let me see......when I reduced in one step from 16mg to 12mg it was easy as pie. That's a 4mg decrease. At the time I was dosing twice a day, taking an 8mg tablet in the morning and an 8mg tablet in the evening. When I did the decrease, I simply started taking the 8mg tab in the morning (as usual) and then took a 1/2 of an 8mg tab in the evening.

I felt NO difference at all. Nothing.

Every other reduction I've ever done has been 1mg at a time, so I can't tell you anything more except to say that I never felt a 1mg reduction, even when I went from 2mg to 1mg which effectively cut my dose in half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll cast my vote with everyone else, I went from12 to 8 with zero symptoms. I also went from 8 to 4, and from 4 to 2 painlessly. At one point I went off of Sub totally for a couple of weeks. My physical symptoms were very mild, but emotionally I became very depressed and had a strong urge to use.
I totally agree with Setmefree. For me the physical part waspretty painless (and I'm a big baby about pain), but the "head" part was a lot tougher. But you're not going off totally right? You're just trying to get on the lowest dose you can to stretch out your meds? You won't have any problem. Just be vigilant of cravings, and if you get them, go up a couple of mg's.

Good luck,
Lilly