It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ok so im going to the suboxone doctor for the first time. Im so excited im tired of depending on other people to get me through the day. I had an important question though. They are going to drug screen me, I have been buying subs off the street and taking them. Would this dis-qualify me from the program if I have suboxone already in my system?? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum!

I think there are 2 ways you could/should approach this.

1. You might not want to get off on the wrong foot with the sub doctor at the very first visit. Maybe you should come clean and tell him what you have been up to and hopefully he will understand. That might be the way i would do it myself.

Would it disqualify you? Not necessarily as you could be just switching sub doctors, you could be moving to a different area and need another doctor. Know what I mean? I don't think the doctor would send you away if you show bupe on the drug screen. It's my opinion that he wouldn't anyway.

2. A drug screen by the new sub doctor is sometime only used to see if you have other opiates in your system like maybe Vicodin, Oxy's, etc, etc, etc. so it may not matter anyway. He may not even check to see if you have subs in your system thinking this is your first time taking them, and first time seeing a sub doctor.

So I guess you have to do what you feel is right, and the way you should approach this first visit. If you say nothing and he finds out at a later time that you were on them at the time you went it that could spell trouble. And it's entirely possible he would check for buprenorphine in your sytem on your first visit.

If your upfront and tell him everything then you will have nothing to worry about, and know you were honest from the beginning. However if you hold back info you may be always thnking you did something wrong and the guilt could get to you eventually.

Yes, I believe I would just tell him you have tried the subs and know they keep the withdrawals away, and better yet, keep you from using/craving your drug of choice. I honestly believe you would feel better if you told them everything at that first visit to set a strong foundation of honesty with the doctor.

Another important factor is these sub doctors WANT your business. It's a huge money-maker for them. So even if you do have subs in your system if may not matter in the least to this doctor?

Good luck and please let us know how it goes for you Steve!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you very much for the advice. Ive been worrying about this all week. I will take your advice and be up front with him. Thank you

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:36 pm 

It wouldn't disqualify you for my sub doctor! He fully expects that his patients are on something to keep them from going into withdrawal until they have to for the sub induction. I can't imagine that your doctor expects any different. I agree with Brown Eyed Girl that you should just be as honest as you can.

Amy