It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: going to do it!
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK, this is wierd for me. I have read and read and read, but never written. Out of all the forums, this one seems the most current, the most informative etc.... Who am I? I have a graduate degree in family therapy, an amazing husband, 2 gorgeous little boys and a good life. I also like opiates. Ironically, I had a shitty childhood, yet never used drugs. never tried drugs, used good ole fashion coping skills to survive. After I finished college, I had a bad ear infection, went to the ER and low and behold, I was prescribed Lortab. Never heard of it, had NO idea it was a narcotic, was addictive (how naive), but sure as shit loved the way it made me feel! fast forward a few years... took some on and off, nothing steady, never any wd if I stopped taking, until I went forth with reconstructive surgery on my shoulder, had a steady supply, and with my MRI, could have access to pain clinics. I have nobody to blame but myself. I am no different than anyone else, the rules are the same for me, I guess the one thing I have going for me is that I have not lost anything due to my addiction. Never done anything illegal, have not lost anything... yet. I am very humbled to be in this position, and plan on fixing it. I got into "a pickle" with percocet a few years ago, maybe was taking 30-40 mg a day, and one day got mad at myself, went cold turkey, never told a soul, suffered for a few days and felt great afterward. Never had any cravings, was very proud. Shortly after that I got pregnant with my second son, had a c-section and had percocet prescribed for pain, and started all over again... It has only been about 6 months of abuse, up to about 60 mg a day of percocet, and I became determined to get off again, and stay off. I am very honest with myself, no denial, no ego, no tricks. got hooked, need to get off. I have a great life, a great family and cant risk losing it... Made the decision to go on suboxone, knowing very little about it (unlike me), but felt desperate and jumped at the chance. Dr. I went to was an asshole. Very condescending, interrupted me, insulted me etc.. I followed his instructions to the letter, he started me on 16 mg a day and I have been on it only 15 days and am down to 2 mg. It is because of people on this forum that i learned I best get off within 21 days if I can.... I have thrown out all my suboxone except for 8 remaining mgs. plan to taper and then go for it, hang on and get through. Any support, past success or info is welcome...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mwflorida - Good to hear you're doing well with your taper. I've been on Sub for a while, but I'm in the tapering process now. I'm down to about .5mgs a day. It was easy until I got under 2mgs, then it got a little harder, but it's doable. I have a thread about my taper and how I'm doing it in the Stopping Suboxone part of the forum, if you're interested.

What are your plans for supporting your recovery once you finish your Suboxone? It sounds like you only have a few days worth of medication left? Are you getting any other meds from your doctor to help you through the withdrawals? Clonidine has helped me when things got rough, but I haven't needed it more than a few times.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you continue to share your story with us. It helps us all!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: going to do it
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi All,
I am curious.??When someone suffers from chronic pain does the doctor still think or tell you to get off sub? I have been taking sub since July 25, 2008 and truly the sub does keep the pain along with ibuprofen keep it tolerable for me. I see on hear people are on it for years and my doctors are exceptable to it except they tell me that FDA wont allow them to keep prescribing it for pain management. Is this true NOW? They have suggested the 3month on 3month off on regular pain killers and keep this up but for how long? Indefinately? Is there any print out I can get to show my doctors even though I know they keep up with all the latest info(continuing education)per law here and I guess everywhere. If I want to keep my license as CPA i have to CE even though i received degree and license in Florida. I am happy for you MWFlorida. It seems you have a plan and a life. Alot of people are as fortunate. Good luck with your plans, I will pray for you.
Alisa

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: keep on going...
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks for the replies out there! I am getting myself mentally ready. I have my husband and my best friend, who are the 2 people that are there to support me. I went to a whole foods today and got some kava and a good amino booster and am trying to have confidence that I will be OK. My plan for keeping off of these and not going back is to talk about it often, talk about my feelings, and again, I have pretty good coping skills and can deal with life very well, just have the physical dependence to overcome now. I am the type of person that tries not to make the same mistake too many times, and am very very honest with myself. I know when I have screwed up and I know when I have done or am about to do something wrong. I cancelled my chart with the pain clinic, and have never and will never resort to anything illegal (too much to lose), so that removes my source of pills... take it day by day and keep helping others and be appreciative for what I do have. any and all kind comments and input are welcome!