It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I live in Canada where sub treatment is almost unheard of. I am prescribed oxys for legit back problems but like so many others have become addicted to my medication. I've tried cold turkey, tapering and have had no success. I've only been addicted a year but it feels like forever. I am also the mommy of two young toddlers. My family and pain doctors don't know of my problem. I've been too scared to tell them for fear they will report me. I finally talked to a sub doc and feel like I can trust him. I've only spoken with him a couple times on the phone and haven't yet told him that I have kids. On May 11th I am due to go in and be inducted and I'm sure he will ask me if I have kids. Part of me wants to lie and say I don't and leave it at that. I also don't want my family doctor finding out I'm on subs and I've decided once I start subs to just stop going to the pain doctor. All of this manuevering is a result of my fear. I'm so scared if I tell these docs, even the sub doc who seems very nice, that I have kids and I'm addicted to pain meds they will call childrens aid on me. I would like to think that they wouldn't because I was prescribed them, not like I was just getting them for fun. Also I am wanting to put a stop to my active addiction and get help so why would the doctor want to call childrens aid on someone who is tryng to do the right thing? But still, I can't help the way I feel. Just the idea of childrens aid getting involved makes me physically ill.

I have tried to find out the laws here in Canada regarding doctor patient confidentiality but so far it's pretty vague. All thats needed for a doctor to call childrens aid is them thinking my kids are at "risk". Just the fact I'm addicted to oxys could be enough for them to call on me. It pisses me off so much because for MONTHS i've been too afraid to get help because of fear that childrens aid will get involved yet its FOR my kids that I want to get clean. Well of course for myself too but looking at those little angels and knowing what I'm doing to myself, the person who is the center of their world, is enough to motivate me to get going on recovery but fear has kept me from going on suboxone for months. Finally I decided enough is enough, I just have to do it yet I'm so very scared.

Can anyone please tell me what, if anything, will come of me telling the sub doctor I have kids? I take really good care of my children. Granted i will be a much better mom off oxys but still they are fed, clean, involved in fun activities like swimming and tot gym, even when I was going through horrible withdrawls during my cold turkey attempt I forced myself to take them out and do things determined that they would not miss out on regular activities because of my addiction. They come first and they always will. I just wish I knew for sure that I had nothing to fear by seeking help but the reality is I'm very afraid and you can bet when I go in for my induction I will be VERY nervous about it.

Please help me and I would really like some responses from people on suboxone who also have kids and how it worked out when you told your doctor what was going on. THANK YOU!!

Post subject: stop worrying
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

[align=justify][font=Arial]Hi again,

You have to relax a little, you are worrying about a lot of things!!

Really, I can understand your concern, but you are going to get help, I don't think any doctor is going to report you. Also, your family doc wrote you your scripts, and I'm sure that he has had patients that have gotten addicted to pian meds before.

When I told my family doctor, he was not at all surprised and he was really happy that I was able to be honest with him, and our relationship has gotten a lot better since, because he trusts me now.

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Now, if you were buying scripts on the street and got arrested, that would be one thing, but that is not what is going on. No doctor is going to reprot you for being honest and getting help. Can you imagine all the methadone patients they would have to reprot??? I don't know what it is like in your city, but I live in a small city and there are two methadone clinics and both of them have huge waiting lists, one is 6 months, that is insane!!!

Please stop worrying! I can understand why you are concerned with young children, but honetly, I think if you told yor family doctor, he would have a lot of respect for you for telling him. I would tell him, but that's up to you. You know him better than I do, but I think most doctors are afraid of prescribing opiates long term, because anyone that takes them for more than a few months will at least become dependant on them.

Everything is going to be okay, honest.

Ginger[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't have children so I can't give you any personal assurances, BUT there are alot of people on this forum that DO have kids. I've never read one story about anyone getting reported for telling their doctor they wanted to get on suboxone.

I also think you should tell your doctor, maybe he would be willing to write the script for you, which would make things easier. I also take suboxone for pain, so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Unless you've done something horrible to your kids, I don't see why your doctors would report you. Try to take a deep breath and relax a little bit. I know that's easier said than done.

And I'm sure some of the parents here will chime in with their own experiences with their doctors.

Hang in there and I think it's good that you're asking questions - it's the only way we'll get the answers we're looking for.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I do tend to worry excessively and I think you guys are right, I'm going to talk to him tommorow and see what he says. Hopefully he will be able to help me and prescribe the suboxone himself. In the meantime I'm going to try and stop driving myself crazy worrying so much. I have been less then perfect by becoming addicted to oxys but as a mom, my kids are everything to me and I take very good care of them. They are happy little monsters and they are my world. I guess I'm just anxious with my induction days away and my nervous mind won't give me a moments peace right now. Thanks for helping me to see that I'm really worrying myself silly and most likely for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you compelled legally to tell your sub doctor that you have kids? I am no advocate of lying to doctors, but why is it any of his business if you have kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Your right Junkie I don't see why I need to tell him that I have kids. He's treating me not them. If he asks I think I'll just lie and say no. Better safe then sorry...

Post subject: Kids
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey there free_bird. Well, first I'm so happy that you are taking the steps needed and you want to get clean on your own. I too have children - two boys.. One is four years younger though and he wasn't around when I was really sick. Like you, I used and always took care of the kids no matter what... I used to go into the bathroom and snort my oxys and it killed me knowing my son was on the other side of the door...I used to look at myself in the mirror afterwards in disgust but would forget the guilt real soon after. Well, my first time finding recovery I was really desperate. I started looking in people’s medicines cabinets...stealing pills from a friend of mine...things were getting real nasty for me... I also didn't have a script, I was buying them illegally on the streets....

Finally, I just couldn't take the pain anymore and I drove myself right to my doctor’s office in full blown withdrawal. They already knew I had one child at this time. They never judged me one bit. I was given a phone number to a therapist whom I called immediately and he directed me in the right direction. I also told the therapist I had a young boy and I was feeling horrible about what I was doing.. I was told to put down the bat and stop beating myself...and that's what I suggest you to do. I am married too and my wife is not an addict - but I was never questioned one bit...and let me tell you when I walked into the doctor’s office, I looked like a train wreck. I would always tell my son I just wasn't feeling well. Today, I don't live that way. I'm in "Addiction Remission" and life is getting better by the second. Well, I just wanted to share that with you and I wish you the best of luck. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. SuperBuper