It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I take Subs for both pain management and opiate addiction therapy. Since my pain level varies daily, I take 2-3 8mg Subs a day. My doc prescribes 16mg a day but she knows I sometimes take a few extra a month and it's no big deal, I just go in to see her a few days earlier than scheduled. Last month was been worse than usual for pain so there were quite a few days that I took 3. But I just found out she's gone on vacation and won't be back until the day of my appointment. I have 5 8mg Subs left and need to make them last until the 13th(8 days from now). What I'm thinking is that I'll take 8mg tomorrow and the day after, then cut down to 4mg a day, which would last me until the 13th. Is it likely that I'll experience withdrawals within the next week if I stick to that plan? Does anyone have a better idea for taking them? I think my doc is going to start giving me a few extra every month so hopefully this won't happen again.

Thank you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm starting to get kinda freaked about going through W/Ds from dropping my dosage so quickly. I'll have to be on 4mgs for 6 days if I go with my plan. Will I be okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think you will be OK. Of course, things won't be exactly the same, because you will be doing much less than what you are used to. But you certainly will not be having excruciating withdrawals, I can promise you that. I think you will have some minor withdraw symptoms, like maybe you will feel like you don't have as much energy, maybe you will have some trouble getting to sleep at night, and maybe you will feel a little on edge. But I don't think you will have bad withdraws, like tossing and turning, or being unable to get out of bed. You won't feel as energetic, and you may notice that you aren't as "high", or, (I'm trying to put this into words, sorry..), maybe you just won't be super happy and won't be as chipper. But as long as you realize that you are going to be just fine and still be able to go about your day, that will help keep a positive attitude. Keeping a positive attitude and trying to not worry about it, and just understanding that physically you will be just fine, you will be just fine mentally. Whatever you do, don't turn to other opiates. It isn't worth it. For one, your brain will be blocking most of whatever you take. It would be better to just take 4 mg of sub. And even if you do wait a day until taking other opiates, then, when it's time to take suboxone again, you'll have to not take anything for a whole day to get back on subs. So that's 2 whole days of no opiates. Plus, if you take urine samples, you could mess that up. I recommend scheduling some fun things that week if possible. Try to go Christmas shopping, or see your friends or family, or go somewhere and do something fun to keep your mind off of it. You will be totally fine physically. The only way that you could possible have a terrible time is if you worry too much about the physical symptoms. That's why you should do your best to not worry about it and just try to keep busy and do happy, fun things to keep in a positive attitude. And, I think it would be really great if you post what happens to the forum, since some people might be in your shoes some day and wonder what they should expect. I suppose the good way to think about this is that at least your doctor didn't cut you off, or you lost your insurance/had no money, or got arrested and had to detox in jail. Just remember, if anything happens, you have the comfort of your home and the choice to eat whatever you want and take any supplements if you have to, like for example, advil if you get a headache or something. And just remember, that it is only for 6 days. Everything will be fine.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much invisiblemovement! I feel so much better now!!! So as long as I don't trip myself out, I should be fine :) I think I might need to ask my doctor about increasing my dose from 16 to 20-24mg a day. I don't really want to go up that high but it would be better than running out early every other month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there!!!

Well Invisible PRETTY much took care of answering your questions, and did GREAT by the way......

I just wanted to tell you that I know FROM EXPERIENCE, you'll be JUST FINE......

Im on suboxone, the same reasons as you,,,,,
when I first started,,,, I ran out a week early, at least, every single month.......
for about four months.....

anyways,, you could TOTALLY make it with YOUR plan, or you could drop a DAY out,,, every other day.....
right now you've got A TON of suboxone "stacked" in your system........

I'd be willing to BET you could go three days, before you ACTUALLY felt physically withdrawl symptoms.......

That's how it was for ME anyways,,,,,
I would THINK I was in w/d you know, the VERY day I ran out,,,,
but it REALLY didn't start for 4 or 5 days....

its ALL A HEAD GAME!!!
seriously,,, it WILL be a head game for you, but I think you can do it!!!!

And, it's definitely a GOOD IDEA to ask your doctor, about an increase,,,,,, OR,
start doing something else,,, for SOME of your pain issues....

I was on 24mg/day for about a year,,,,
and I do think I needed that much the first six months or so,,, for sure....

but now, Im only taking 8mg,,, and honestly, I feel way better, all the way around,,,,
I still dose twice a day,,, just 4mg.

It's totally up to YOU,,,,
whenever your ready..... to do either.....

I would NOT keep doing the "run out early" thing though,,,,

GOOD LUCK!!!
feel FREE to post, whenever, when your head starts screwing with ya!!!
that's what we are here for!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi there! You have just gotten two great and detailed answers from two members
who know! I just kinda wanted to reassure you , that you are going to be fine. I can ALMOST
guarantee it. The only reason I cant, is becase I am not you... :lol:
I have gone a few days with ZERO sub, and was fine. I too, dose three times
a day for pain. Well, up to 3x a day. Anyway, the only thing that I REALLY REALLY notice,
is that my head wants to screw with me like Amber said.
That's it. And when I'm super busy, I stop for a split second, and think...hmmm...I'm actually
doing fine, when I'm not dwelling on it...
My doctor is REALLY good at screwing up my script. So trust me when I say that I've been
through this before a few times, and was always always always fine. I swear.
I would make sure that you have enough Motrin, Tylenol, and the like, to cover your
pain. They actually work for me now, now that I"m not eating 30,000mg of Tylenol a day :shock:
We had a member that had to go to jail for 5 days that wouldn't be allowed to take his sub while
he was there, and he was perfectly fine on ZERO sub for 5 days.
The fact that you are going to have 4mg a day for those days is really reassuring to me...
because it keeps you above the ceiling.
Not to mention that sub stacks in your system.
Ya know, besides the pain, I wouldn't be surprised if you felt just a little bit BETTER
on a lower dose. Believe it or not, the first few days that I have NO SUB, I actualy
feel a little clearer headed. More me. Nothing drastic enough to make me stop taking sub
and risking my recovery, but noticeable.
Good luck to you, and like Amber said, post away if you need help....or just have questions....
or just wanna kill time :D
Take Care~Kelly[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My former doc was a psychopharmacologist and he told me tha 16mg of Sub binds 94% of the opiate receptors, so adding another 8mg covers only the remaining 6%, and a fourth 8mg tablet is basically overkill. There has even been talk of limiting prescribers to a maximum daily dosage of 16 mg. Also, once you take 16mg a day for a week or more, you end up with a constant serum level equal to about 24mg/day due to the fact that you are dosing faster than the med clears the body. That being said, I think most of us have finished our script early at one timer other - we're addicts and psychologically we think "taking something" is going to make us feel better. you will be fine. I recently went 3 days with no Sub and felt no WD at all, due to the high level in my system. You can just take 2/3 of a pill a day and just keep busy like i.m. suggested.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm in tears right now. You are all so helpful and caring, it's unbelievable that communities like this one still exist! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! I have severe unipolar depression and when I'm in w/ds it gets really bad, almost unbearable. So I am extremely relieved to know I'll be fine.
Do any of you happen to know what the average daily dose of Sub is for pain management? Goinstrong, do you find that a low dose accompanied with Tylenol or Motrin is enough to relieve your pain?