It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Going to Prison!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am not going to prison, my former best friend Tom is going to prison because of his addiction...This is part of the story.

I last time I saw Tom was when I woke up on the floor of his bedroom with a needle in my arm, purple lips and that gross foamy stuff coming from my mouth. This was about my 20th time taking heroin, all within the past few months. I left Tom's house and have not seen him since. We were best of friends for the worst reasons, I also overdosed on Meth with him, got nearly killed on Xanax and Vodka and developed a hardcore opiate addiction. I got a DUI in the past so I could not drive but Tom had a car and I had the hook ups, it was a harmonious match. We started off getting Hydrcodones (The Yellow 10/325s), we would get percosets, oxy contin, morphine, opana, whatever was out there. I eventually got a girlfriend and kind of left the whole scene. Eventually my girlfriend decided to be a cheating whore and ripping my heart out and eating it while I watched. I went back to Tom and said: "You know how we talked about doing heroin? Just to do it once...Lets do it." So, we did...Of course, this wasn't Tom's first time, he had developed a minor addiction to this in my absence. I have hard to find veins and was a needlephob and Tom could sniff out a vein like a hound dog. There are many addicts on here so I don't need to describe what doing heroin feels like. We did it a few times together and eventually I stopped hanging around Tom. Well, in that time I ended up going to jail for a few weeks because I was sick of probation and I got out and immediately got on Suboxone when I got out as to not fall into the trap. He would call me crying say he was clean and that he wanted to hang out with me again (I know what you're thinking and we're not gay...Tom was a little slow and had some serious social anxieties) He got on Subs as well but I just thought it was for the best that we didn't become friends again. Well, then I moved from Austin to Phoenix and I got this news yesterday...

It turns out the whole time Tom was on subs that he just used to avoid heroin W/Ds. He didn't like taking them much since as you know after you take subs it takes away the high feeling of opiates. Tom originally got on Suboxone because of a car crash he suffered. The Doctor however, did not agree in long term Sub use and he was only on them for a few months. After he was off he stole a PS3 from our other best friend Alex while Alex was asleep and pawned it off since he was suffering such bad W/D's from the junk (Heroin). It took a few months for Alex to find out until the detective called him back with positive prints. Alex did not know Tom stole his Ps3 till then. Well, now Tom is facing charges for breaking into a house in South Austin and also stealing Alex's PS3. This is the dark side of addiction. Despite all of this, Tom maintains his innocence and claims all of this happened because "he started reading the Bible again and the Devil saw him getting closer to god so he CURSED him with addiction."

So, my question is that is there anything positive that comes from Short-Term sub use...especially in knowing how bad his addiction was. The car crash was from being high on heroin. Did this doctor mis-treat his patient? If the court finds him guilty he is facing 4 years or so in Prison...Could he use his addiction as defense to be sent to a serious in-patient rehab facility instead of Prison time?

I would like to hear your opinions/comments as well of stories of the similar manner if anyone has any!

Ryan K. Leddy

I always told Tom his luck was going to run out (he got pulled over multiple times with drugs, stolen goods and never got caught) and it did. This is all a true story with a lot of nasty details left out for as to not ramble too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Beside the charges hes faceing now does he any other issues from him past with the law? If this is his first offense and he gets a real good lawyer they might be able to pull off rehab but hence good lawyer=lots of money and im sure from the post he does not have much money for a lawyer. but like i said if its his first offense then he might get some luck with the judge and not be sent to prison. but at the end of the day he needs help i know he wouldnt want to hear this but prison might be better for his addiction then a rehab clinic cause most people that are sent to rehab cause of criminal charges relapse in the long run dues to the way they see it is the easy way out. while prison could change a person for ever. 2 of my cousins r married to prison guards and have seen many drug addicts clean up their act and get early parole cause of their actions while detained. but at the same time he gets with the wrong crowd in prison drugs r just as easy to get their just more money.

but we would all need to know if this is his first true offense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know crap about the law because fortunately, I kept my ass out of it. However, in college I interned as a probation officer for a little while and I helped run the drug court offenders. If there is drug court in that state he might be able to get into drug court instead of going to prison. But whether or not you are a candidate all depends on a lot of factors that probably vary from state to state and that I couldn't recall to save my soul today. The only one I recall is it had to be a non-violent crime.

In terms of short term suboxone....I am sure people have benefitted from it. I just don't know them and none of them seem to be here.

Cherie

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, he's got a a bunch of speeding tickets and when he crashed his car he was drunk and wasted on H but they never tested him. He is facing two separate charges...One for breaking into a house in south Austin and stealing a TV and two for breaking into my friend's house and stealing his PS3 both of which have his prints at the scene and have him on video selling to the pawn shop. He doesn't have much money but his Dad owns his own dentistry and they do pretty well. He got this lawyer that got University Of Texas football players charges dropped....But, the difference is he doesn't play college football.

This is his first two serious offenses that I know of, as I said I haven't talked to him for a while since I just knew the path he was going down I didn't need to be a part of. I already had enough legal trouble I got behind me...(DWI, Possession of a controlled substance and possession of a dangerous drug...I got the last two dropped and they opted just to charge the DWI....The only reason I got dangerous drug and controlled substance is because my dealer gave me free Soma's with my Hydrocdone 10/325s and Somas suck. Also, I had 15 of them but the Cops somehow only charged me with five...Crooked ass cops. When they found them they went "OoOOo, I know what these are!" I guess they did me a favor anyways...

I don't know whats better...Prison or Rehab....Tom isn't sharpest knife around...I mean, not at all...I see him getting very easily influenced to do worse things in prison...Also the detective told Alex when he called them that they were following Tom a few times a week and I know Tom is still using so it's just a matter of time before he gets busted again and The only drug cops hate more than heroin right now is Meth or Crack.

Post subject: Yes...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 pm 
Absolutely, drug addiction can be considered as a mitigating factor during sentencing. That means the judge might/might not be willing to lessen the sentence because of the fact that the crimes were commited in order to pay for the defendant's chemical dependency. Basically, the worst thing for a defendant is to be perceived by the court as totally "evil" and without remorse. A chemical dependency is a rational explanation of why someone would commit crimes in order to obtain money or valuables. Granted, an explanation is NOT an excuse, but it does help in humanizing the defendant to the Court. And also, depending on Tom's criminal record and specific charges, the judge could order him to inpatient drug treatment as an alternative to prison. Believe me, because I have been on the recieving end of the court system several times in my life due to my behaviour associated with my addiction to opioids.

The MOST important thing is to get Tom's attorney on-board with the plan of using substance abuse as a factor for the judge to consider. If Tom has ever been to inpatient or outpatient treatment, the attorney needs those dates, and your friend also needs tell him his drugs of choice, how often he uses, if he goes to twelve step groups (NA/NA). It looks better to the Court if he has tried in the past to get clean. That shows that he is willing to change, which will be very important to the judge. Also, if the judge orders a pre-sentencing report (where someone from the probation office comes and interviews him in jail about his charges and history), tell him to mention his substance abuse history. And expressing remorse for what he did isn't a bad idea, either.
Peace,
james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Problem is Tom's parents are paying for his lawyer I assume and they are totally oblivious to his drug use outside of smoking pot a few years back...They are very, very deeply religious people (Pentecostal/Evan-angelic) needless to say they are not familiar with the addiction concept.

He hasn't tried to get clean at all, never attended a meeting or been to rehab. he doesn't even admit he has a problem, he is a compulsive liar. He stole a DVD from his house and sold it and I was leaving one day and his dad threatened me to give the DVD player back since Tom told him I stole it.....Tom then said he just pawned it off and will get it back but that just shows how bad his laying as gotten and since he is just so stupid (I mean this seriously...he is stupid) he can lie so easily since he never, ever shows emotion. There are a lot of layers to this.....I hope he goes to Jail/Prison or whatever since on the path he is going (breaking and entering, being a heroin addict) is a one way ticket to death/prison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you have to see your friend go through this Ryan. Hopefully he will get some help. Studies do show that involuntary treatment has outcomes as good as voluntary, so even if he isn't saying he's ready to get treatment it still might help. His parents are paying for his lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that whatever he tells his lawyer is privileged so maybe he will come clean about the heroin in the interest of possibly avoiding jail.

I also wanted to add that I encourage you to try to maintain healthy boundaries for yourself around this situation. It can be easy to get sucked into another addict's drama, especially if it's a friend who you want to help. Just try to take care of yourself, ok?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I moved out of the state and haven't used heroin since the last time I saw him which was in May or so...I will always care for him and he will always be my friend but I just think it is best that we not hang out anymore...I have no intention of getting in anymore legal trouble or getting sucked back into the deep, dark hole that is opiate addiction.

I haven't talked to him in such a long time but when my friend told me what he did my heart just dropped...Stealing from a store or a random person's house is bad enough as it is but stealing from the last friend you had is another thing...That is addiction at it's worst. It's hard for me to help an addict since I'm still an addict too and despite the fact I've been clean since July I know if I was around opiates right now I'd use them. There is no absolutely no question in my mind and I would even knowing that they wouldn't really even effect me since the Suboxone would pretty much block it.