It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HI FRIENDS..IM NEW TO THE FORUM...QUICK HISTORY.. I have been in recovery since Feb 2013.. Taking suboxone I currently do not have a Rx for it but have been thinking about it because of cost and legality issues...I want to go to school to be a nurse ..but a friend told me if I went on record w suboxone I a) wouldn't be allowed to become a nurse or b)if they did let me I'd essentially have a Scarlet letter which would hinder my from performing 100% of my duties (ie. Being able to dispense meds ect..) ...I guess I am just looking for answers ...I am so tired of struggling ,trying to find it, not knowing day to day whether I will get sick...but I don't think I am ready to detox...idk any info would be EXTREMELY appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The laws about medical professionals taking suboxone vary from state to state. There are some that do allow it. There was a member here who is on sub and is also a nurse. Cannot remember her screen name to save my life though, maybe another member could help me out on that one. But if you look through the older threads, there are several about being a nurse and being on suboxone, in which you may find some useful info. Imo, for your legal protection, I'd absolutely get a prescription for the suboxone. I'd say if you git into legal trouble for not having a legal script, your chances of becoming a nurse will greatly decrease. Another good reason to obtain a doctor and rx is because you say that you're not really ready to stop taking them, and being under the care of a doctor while on sub helps with recovery. It gives you someone to be accountable to for starters. It keeps you from having to procure your sub from the streets, the way most of us had to get our d.o.c., and most programs either offer or require some type of counseling or group therapy sessions etc. So it would definitely be a good start for you and would take the worry away about finding enough suboxone or getting caught.

To find out if your state allows nurses to practice while taking buprenorphine, a call to your state's board of nursing will probably answer your questions about if it's allowed and if there are any restrictions on your duties.

I want to add a welcome to the forum also, and wish you all the best in finding a doctor, and going to nursing school. I currently work in a convenience store, but have my cna license, and worked as one for some time, and started nursing school. Addiction got in the way of many things that are important to me. I'm going back to finish nursing school after my kids are all in high school. I've got only a few classes, and some clinicals left and I'll be done. So I know what is like to have always wanted to be a nurse...I hope you'll continue to pursue it. If we can be of any help at all, we're just a post away, so don't hesitate to ask questions or just vent if you like. That's what we're here for. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just took a 12 panel urine and it didn't show as expected. I'm in the medical field as well and mums the word. If it shows and you have a script you may be OK. You may start out as a nurse on provisions...maybe not. If you think you can get off maybe you should JIC. Keep posting and good luck! I once read to call the BON anonymously and just ask.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:29 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I didn't know that it varied state to state but you should definitely ask the ones with real authority like the others said. I asked my old doctor about this subject a few years ago and I seriously doubt you would have any problems being in recovery and if you had a prescription. He was prescribed suboxone himself and it was fine. And actually I think Dr. Junig (who runs this forum) was in treatment for opiate addiction and it too hasn't stopped him.

Does the person who told you that have any legitimate authority or experience?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your responses! Sorry its taken me so long to respond... I really appreciate your help..since I last posted I have been making phone calls to doctors....a bunch of waiting lists..but fingers crossed... I am just done being afraid I will get in trouble for buying them....for the sake of my children and my sanity I need to do this the legal way....as far as nursing school goes....I think I am going to wait until the fall semester so it gives me more time I will keep everyone posted tho thanks again!!!