It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My Dr. will no longer have a physical location but instead will use new and leading edge technology in Telemedicine. This will allow his patients to be seen from anywhere in Ga and be evaluated from the comfort of their own home providing they have a smart phone, iPad, or computer with a camra and access to internet. "I realize this is a drastic change from what you've experienced thus far from my care but I think this would be great because it gives you more access to care, implemented counseling sessions, and you never have to leave home for it," he explained in the letter he gave us all. THE PROBLEM IS I'M IN ALABAMA!!!! Needless to say I'm freaking out!!! The center he is at only has 1 Dr. HIM! They are going to try to replace him and that would be the answer to my prayers. But the not knowing what is going to happen is killing me. I will have 1 more office visit with this Dr. And then, who knows?!? I am dropping down to 8 mg today. And will probably drop lower later this month. The thing is, I was on pain pills for 24 yrs. There is a good reason I was started out in such a high dose of Suboxone, (16 mg) I've been on Suboxone for 7 months, so I guess it's ok to drop down more. I just don't want to get down too low. I've been doing so well thus far. And for this to be thrown at me is just upsetting me a bit. I am absolutely not ready to jump off Suboxone, but worse case sanario, IDN? Everything is so up in the air for the moment. The Dr himself doesn't even know if Medicaid is going to pay for his prescriptions. He can only write them in Ga, and I am on AL. Medicaid! I pray the center finds a replacement, but even the Dr. talked like he didn't know due to the fact Suboxone Dr's are hard to come across. How low can I safely cut down without jeopardizing my sobriety? Very confused at this time, Bama girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:40 pm 

I'm so sorry that you're worried, Angie!

Do you think that you won't be able to have video appointments with hi because he is operating out of Georgia and you're in Alabama? Why can't you continue with him and just have the video appointments? I'm a bit confused.

My only advice is that you start the process of finding a new doctor. :( That way you'll have a back up plan.)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Right. See he doesn't even know for sure if the Ga. Al. state difference will be a problem. He doesn't start this new way of seeing patients for a couple off weeks. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type thing?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For telemedicine the provider must have a license for the state in which the patient resides.
Wonder how he will provide for UA's? Many insurance companies are now insisting on having a UA on file in order to process a PA.
Is the clinic you were being seen in able to provide video-conferencing? I'm thinking that not all patients are going to have high-speed internet access and may still be seen in the office. If so, then the residency requirement for you doesn't apply since you are being seen in a clinic.
Our clinic routinely provides clinic to clinic or clinic to provider appointments for patients that do not live in our state.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My Dr. has a license for Alabama as far as now goes. But on the letter, he sais, "This will allow my patients to be seen from anywhere in Ga. ..." He is planning on providing more care as well. Like a family doctor. Said he would be able to prescribe different medications like if someone has a bladder infection, he could prescribe antibiotics. His email address is going to be www.addictiontelemed.com, but it is not going to be up and running for another 2 weeks. Now he did say I would have to come see him at his office once a year. IDK, maybe that is when he will do UA's? He also has on the letter he gave me, "more information can be found at https://youtu.be/h72vbuu40Dg" I also have his business # if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No the clinic doesn't offer video conference. The Dr is branching out on his own. I will absolutely still go to this clinic if the find a new Dr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Doc! I'll definitely find out this week if they could refer me to another clinic. That may very well be their plan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The psych Doctor I see who does telepsychiatry has her license in several states but I have to see her at a clinic but in a room with video. I don't know if Soboxone can be called in either. I personally can't stand telemedicine because it's so impersonal...... I'm glad I get to see my doctor face to face. I would start looking for a new doc.