It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm 
exorphin wrote:

Well, after paying out-of-pocket for my subs for about the last week and a half,
I just found out that I have been approved by Medicaid for fifteen Suboxone on
the 22nd of this month! So, this is very good news for me!

I called my surgeon's office to let them know that I am now back on sub at 4 mg
per day; and I gave them my sub doc's contact info, too.

I keep reading conflicting information about when I should stop my sub before my
gall bladder surgery, which is scheduled for January the 10th. My sub doc told me
that I can take my regular dose of 4 mg up to 24 hours before the surgery. However,
I have heard/read that it would be better if I would stop the sub like 3 days before
my surgery. If anyone has any suggestions and/or advice about what I should do,
please feel free to share it with me.

Thanks,

-ex-

Ex, you are DEFINITELY gonna need more than 24 hours to feel oral pain meds.

I'm about to get my wisdom teeth out and I'm gonna give it more than that I think..2-3 days..and I only take 1 mg/day now of Subutex. Bupe is a really, REALLY strong blocker, and 10 mg of percocet just won't cut it, you got a tolly from all those years of high dose bupe :-(

On the other hand, if you are receiving IV pain meds, I think if you can get down to under 2 mg/day you will be fine after 24 hours. This is my experience from relapsing in the early part of my sub maintenance (almost a year ago :) I relapsed a few times at first, with ~70 mg shots of oxy. When I was on 2 mg/day or less I only needed to wait 24 hours to fully feel the shot. When I was on more than 2 mg, it wouldn't fully hit me. I don't know how that translates into pain relief, because I am sure the dose for pain relief is lower than the dose for feeling high..but also remember that I am talking about ~70 mg of IV oxy, not a low dose of hydro or something else.

@Rule62, I agree with you. I am considering an arrangement like that for myself. How long were you at 1 mg/day? Do you think the bupe was blocking your dose or you just have a high tolerance now from sub maintenance?

This is one of the few things I HATE about Sub..and no one tells you the truth about it. Sub keeps your tolerance really high.

I really wish you the best of luck with this one. I don't pray much, but I have been thinking of you, and what I would do in your position. I would advise what I am doing myself: get as LOW on the Sub as you possibly can before the surgery and stop more like 48-72 hours before the surgery. I think it is probably safe to take an extremely low dose, maybe .5 mg, 24 hours before the surgery, but I wouldn't dose more than that. I have been in fear of my surgery for awhile and therefore researching this heavily.

If you want to talk, you know how to find me :)

Post subject: Once Again
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 pm 

Ironic, once again we tend to know more about Sub than the doctors who prescribe it only because we are the ones who take it.

I was on 1mg for over a month before the first surgery so I think it was a tolerance thing. It may have been a small amount but it still occupies the receptors and takes about a week (in my case) to finally let go.

The stopping of Sub a week early is not new. I've read posts here or at the other Sub forum about it. Now that I have experience with it, now I'll do my best to get my PCP Sub Dr. to prescribe the meds.

I just don't want to see Ex in untreated pain. He may not even have much but one never knows until you wake up.

Post subject: Just an Update...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:49 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well, everything is set up for my gall bladder surgery on Tuesday, January10th.
The short-stay dept. at the local hospital called me yesterday to update all of my
info. I've tapered down to 2 mg a day- i know this still is not probably low enough-
but it is just the best i could do.

The hospital and surgeon definitely know i am on sub. The lady who called me from
short-stay dept. promised me that they would "keep me comfortable".

Anyway I will update again, after I have had this procedure performed.

Thanks,

-ex-

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ex i will keep you in my Prayers i know you must be glad to get this done and over with. I'm glad everryone understands your on subs aand willing to keep you comfortable. I know I have taken a few pain pills while on subs and I felt them so I believe everyone is different and you just dont know how your body will react unless you go through it

Again Good Luck and keep us posted how you are doing ok
Mel :wink:

Post subject: Right Behind You
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:50 pm 

Good luck on your outcome. Hopefully you'll get relief from the pain of surgery. Usually in a hospital setting where they can monitor you, pain relief should be supplied. If you explain it enough and if they are aware of the properties of Bup then it may turn out just fine.

My surgery is the 11th, right after you Ex. We'll both be in recovery and hoping they will supply us with adequate pain relief.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Good luck to you, rule- with your surgery!

-ex-

Post subject: Surgery- Aborted
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well, yesterday, they got me all prepped and everything for my gall bladder removal.
150 mcgs of fent was pushed into my IV right before I was rolled into the OR. Well,
while I was on the OR table- they had to put on a nitroglycerin patch- something went
wrong with my heart- but nobody would give me a straight answer as to what happened.
So, they rolled me back to my holding room, and I had to wait until 2 PM, just to find out
that the cardiologist was too busy to see me. So, I just ended up signing out AMA at that
time- I was very hungry, thirsty, and tired. Came home and slept til like 6:30 PM.

Texted my sub doc- who told me that I would have to wait til I went into w/d from the
fent shot to re-dose my sub! I though that this was not warranted- but- whatever- let's
just say that I had agreed with him. ;-) I see him on Tuesday, BTW. At least now I won't
have any pain meds in my system- and will piss clean- so i will have a much better chance
of Medicaid covering my subs this month. Ha. That's IF I get lucky!

Anyway, I have to call my PCP- and this cardiologist today.
At least I'm not in any pain- and the nausea from the biliary dyskinesia- from my gall bladder-
has been subsiding. I just have to see the brighter side of this situation. Oh- and the surgeon-
he just was not willing to Rx me anything stronger than Norcos, anyway- so, I'm thinking that
my pain would not have been really taken care of that well.

Oh- I forgot to add that the surgeon came into my room in his jacket around 12:30/1pm-
shook my hand with a big smile, and said, "I cancelled your case." No explanation. Nice one, doc.

That's pretty much all for now.

Thanks,

-ex-