It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:43 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am going to a methadone clinic with the ultimate purpose of getting on Suboxone, and then off as quickly as possible (60 days max, I'm hoping - financial issues). I've been abusing Methadone for a number of years, not on a daily basis, but a couple/three times a week of late. So this methadone clinic that I am going to has their way of getting me on to Suboxone, which is to taper me off Methadone, starting at 40 mg., and titrating downwards till I get to 20 mg., and then switching to Suboxone.

Two things that I worry about with this method: 1) Going in to take Methadone every day, even at 40 mg., gets my opiate receptors going, and I'm having daily battles upon leaving the clinic: Should I score some more and get high? Honestly, being given Methadone in my situation feels like giving an alcoholic a bit of scotch every day. It's scary for me! And I'm having to hang on tight, with the thought, "If I just make it to 20 mg and get on the Sub., I'll be fine!!!!" But still, it's a terrifying month for me (that's how long they've allotted for the taper.) So that's one problem.

Number two problem: From what I've read about Sub. and how it reacts if you have any trace of opiate in your body is scary too! The clinic is going to get me to 20 mg., have me on it I suppose for seven or so days, hopefully less, and then within 24 hours of my last dose, they are going to give me 2 mg. of Suboxone while in the clinic, observe me, and then send me home with more if I do okay.

My question (I'm getting there :D ) is isn't that too soon to take Sub. after 20 mg. of Methadone? Aren't I likely to get violently ill?

Thanks, fellow opiate addicts, for any comments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

With methadone it's not just getting your dose down, but it's also a matter of getting your tolerance down. I'm sure the doctors will ensure you're in the right state of withdrawals before putting you on suboxone. That's what they pay attention to - the level of w/d you're in, not how long you've been in w/d.

I can't speak to what you'll do when you get a small dose of methadone daily. If you get more off the street you're just raising your risk of having precipitated withdrawals when you do get on suboxone. Keep that in mind. I fear it will be hard for you.

One last thing - What are you going to do once you're off methadone and suboxone? How will you stay "clean"? Recent studies have shown that short term treatment with sub has a very high rate of relapse. I'm not trying to be a downer, just wanted you to have some facts about what you're up against.

I don't know if this helps or not - I truly hope it does. Please take care and keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: thanks, Hatmaker
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

...for your response. I too am aware of the possibility of relapse. I don't want to be dependent on a drug forever, though, particularly one that costs so much and that, in my situation, requires me to go to a clinic every day to get it. I am hoping my horror at how deep in the hole I got with Methadone will carry me through.

I do hear you, though, and don't consider it a downer that you bring it up. We've got to be able to talk about the elephant in the room, after all!

I'll keep you posted.