It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Is a glass of wine ok?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I know drinking is not cool, but is it going to kill me if I drink A glass of wine once in awhile? I do mean a glass, not a bottle. lol :wink: I enjoy my sweet red wine and I miss it. I am able to stop at one, so I'm not worried about that. Any thoughts? Thanks! :o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Depends on what your goal is. Medically speaking, alcohol and subs are fine.. I mean I'm on about 4mg a day and I drink a couple nights a week with no problems.
I was on a higher dose in the past and still, drinking was fine.
I have a high tolerance to opiates and subs though so I feel pretty much normal on subs. If you're new to them and find yourself nodding a lot then maybe only drink one glass.
If you're attending AA/NA and sobriety is your goal then obviously you shouldn't be drinking. But when I am on subs I just lead a normal life. I don't attend meetings and I drink socially and take E/molly once every couple months. I feel dumb going to meetings while on subs because I am not clean, I am on a strong opiate (subs). It's not the same as being clean and off everything.
So, if you've never battled with alcoholism or anything I say go for it. I actually find that subs lower my desire to drink. I still do but not as much quantity.
Anyway, be well and good luck with everything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello,
You probably signed an agreement with your doctor regarding drug use. If they are abstinence based then no alcohol. My agreement talks about 'problematic' alcohol use but we all have our own. What would your doctor do if there were metabolites for alcohol in your urine?

Quote:
I feel dumb going to meetings while on subs because I am not clean, I am on a strong opiate (subs). It's not the same as being clean and off everything.
Sunrise, I think others will be along and give you some pushback with this statement.

Cross addictions are a real concern, I encourage to abstain from all mood altering substances. I know many disagree, just my take.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Where is that quote about not being clean while on sub from? Or did the OP remove it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DonH
it was from Sunrise, the second post, lines 7-9.
PAX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:36 pm 

Karrysypek.

You received some good information here from Docm2 and donh. SunRises has no clue about recovery so don't take that advice at all.

My brother is in the same shoes as you. He signed an agreement stating he won't drink any wine or alcohol while being treated with Sub. Does he miss it? Yes and no. He went out with all his buddies a few times and said it was no problem not drinking like them. His recovery is more important than a glass of wine.

Ask your doctor if it's okay.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm 

Hey Marry :) welcome!!

Basically this is ur choice on if u choose to drink or not while taking sub. My personal opinion for me (and only me) I choose not to. However I do know some ppl that I have became friends with that is in my clinic & sub meetings choose to drink and they have progressively gotten worse over time drinking more and more. U have to know that having addictive personalities like us addicts, we do everything in excess if something makes us feel good. So be careful if u do decide to. I never take anything except my sub and some advil lol and that's it. I get paranoid of failing a drug screen if I take a laxative (silly I know). So yeah, just be careful and know that bad things happen when we start something that can become addictive, after all that's how we became addicted to opiates in the beginning.

And Sunrises, I'm not sure why you'd feel weird going to NA because ur on subs when u just admitted to taking molly sometimes. Alot of us here consider ourselves clean on suboxone. U def will fail a drug screen taking that stuff for sure so molly is making u not clean. I consider myself clean on sub and have for 3 yrs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm 

Dang I meant Karry not Mary!! Autocorrect is still annoying lol!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Drinking a glass of wine is not a bad a thing and it wont kill you to have a glass of wine with a sub. But for ME it is. I have chosen to just take subs and no alcohol. I feel like abstaining from other drugs including weed and alcohol has given me a better chance to suceed from this monster of an addiction I have. The further I can distance myself from all other drugs the better chance I have at a good life.

I personally do not go to NA/AA meetings however I am in counseling for addiction and that works for me.
Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys and gals for the replies. I appropriate it. I didn't sign an agreement with my doc. I think I'll stay away from it for a while longer. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rule62 wrote:

SunRises has no clue about recovery so don't take that advice at all.

I actually had 5 years consecutive clean time in NA/AA and ran many meetings and sponsored people. I've been around the recovery community for many, many years, so saying I don't have a clue about recovery is pretty far from the truth. What really happened is that you didn't agree with what I said. I was just keeping it real. Everything I said is accurate. I will remind you, I said "If you're attending AA/NA and sobriety is your goal then obviously you shouldn't be drinking." Is this wrong? No, didn't think so.

Seems pretty correct to me. If she is NOT looking for that then things change. That's when moderate drinking is not too terrible. I have seen many people do this with no ill effects. Some people, once on subs can lead pretty "normal" lives, as in social drinking, etc. Others can't. That's why I offered both answers.

As a mod you should not be so rude or quick to judge. Seems like I touched a nerve.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:48 pm 

Sunrises, I'm pretty sure that Rule was reacting to the arrogance of this statement:

"I feel dumb going to meetings while on subs because I am not clean, I am on a strong opiate (subs). It's not the same as being clean and off everything."

Rule said not to listen to you because you are spouting off an opinion, not fact. Rule wants to make sure that it's known that we don't make definitive statements about other peoples' recoveries on this forum. What you said was intended to be inflammatory and start a debate that we do not have on our forum. There is a thread in "Freestyle" about this topic that is available for opinions such as yours, but we will not let it stand in the other sections. So far you've been more provocative than helpful and this is not the first time that you've complained about being treated rudely or unfairly. If you believe that you can certainly go elsewhere. It's my opinion that you are just seeing how close you can get to upsetting people because you have a chip on your shoulder about this issue. If you've touched a nerve, it's not because one moderator is sore, it's because so many people here have been judged by condescending NA/AA members.

I hope that you can move forward, drop that particular issue and participate constructively in our forum. Calling out our volunteer moderators for being rude or quick to judge is pretty rich when you made the first judgment in the above statement. It won't win you any friends here, but if you're just trolling that won't bother you. If you're not here to be a troll then you will have no problem dropping this issue and moving on.

Amy