It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

thanks for the replies everyone. I'm open to ideas and if anyone has anything to add please feel free. It makes me happy seeing people trying their best to help. Not sure if it's because I went on suboxone for pain management and wasnt on opiates prior, but I dont know anyone in my day to day life that can relate to much of anything I'm going through, so this message board is a great support.

As of now, i'm taking Neurontin as needed and getting decent results. It does help with anxiety as long as it's not overwhelming and I feel that since I'm only taking it a few times a week at a low dose I won't be likely to get dependent. I'm going back to the new psychiatrist/cognitive therapist this week, I think she's pretty good, so perhaps she'll have more ideas. I guess it comes down to trial and error in terms of medication though, as many people have already said everyone reacts differently to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

eric - I was on Neurontin for years for mood stabilization and I never had any problems going off of it. I don't know technically if it's supposed to be habit forming or not (I don't think it is though), but I didn't think it was and so I had zero problems when I went off of it, because I was NOT expecting ay problems.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
eric - I was on Neurontin for years for mood stabilization and I never had any problems going off of it. I don't know technically if it's supposed to be habit forming or not (I don't think it is though), but I didn't think it was and so I had zero problems when I went off of it, because I was NOT expecting ay problems.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I agree with hatmaker510, Neurontin is non-habit forming. I take it for numbness. However it does have natural calming properties. Your better off taking that than opiates or benzos trust me. As far as the psych meds go I tried different ones and I never felt like ME. I like just being straight in my brain in balance. At some point you will level if not as described above talk to your doc about your symptoms. Not drug specifics. That's considered dr. shopping... Good Luck hope you feel better and do what is right for YOU!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

so i had my appointment today with the psychiatrist. She recommended I take Neurontin daily (i've been taking it as needed).

Im not sure i want to take it everyday, i've read horror stories on google about people having withdrawal from it similar to benzo withdrawal. If I'm going to go through something like that again I may as well take a narcotic. Plus, Im not a big fan of what neurontin does, I dont particularly enjoy benzos or benzo-ish drugs. Too depleting on my energy.

But I guess I have to make a move, not sure what it will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like Hatmaker and ambr disagree with those horror stories about neurontin and they are speaking from experience. Also, i try to let the doctor be the doctor and not me, that's addict behavior 101.

Feel better man

-gb

P.s. Stop reading internet horror stories they are planted by the illuminati. Haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Neurontin is not a benzo. It's a completely different medication. It treats nerve pain and is also used as a mood stabilizer. Benzos are like tranquilizers and are used to treat anxiety and to sedate. Benzo withdrawals can be very dangerous if one doesn't taper off it correctly.

Again, I suffered no withdrawals when abruptly stopping neurotin. Did you ask your doctor about withdrawals from it, or are you just taking the some anonymous person's word for it? Because what you're saying I've never heard. If I were you, I'd find a more objective source, like a pharmacist or my doctor. Just make an informed decision, that's all I'm saying.

Good luck. Lots of people do really well on neurontin. I'll shut up now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey guys. I guess in a way I should let my doctor be the doctor. however that's what got me in this situation in the first place - doctors assuring me suboxone wasnt harmful and had little withdrawal. I think it's safe to say that suboxone does have significant withdrawal, even for people who don't experience PAWS. And I wasn't on any opiates prior to taking suboxone, I got it for chronic pain, so I know the suboxone is the source of withdrawal.

As far as neurontin, I've heard both ways. Hatmaker and others I've read about seem to not have withdrawals, which is great...and my doctor says its not addictive. But if you go on google you will find page after page of people who have had months of withdrawal from it. Are all these people making up stories? It doesn't make sense to me why so many people would want to randomly demonize the drug. it seems hit or miss , like some people have no problems getting off it while some do. I dunno :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

eric is wrote:
As far as neurontin, I've heard both ways. Hatmaker and others I've read about seem to not have withdrawals, which is great...and my doctor says its not addictive. But if you go on google you will find page after page of people who have had months of withdrawal from it. Are all these people making up stories? It doesn't make sense to me why so many people would want to randomly demonize the drug. it seems hit or miss , like some people have no problems getting off it while some do. I dunno :-/

I'm gonna say this and then I'm not saying another word about neurontin. I took it for a few months for nerve pain. It was eqivelant of comng off of xanax FOR ME. That does not mean it will be that way for you. Eric, I'm with you on the fact that if something even has the possibility of causing that in my life, at this point anyway, I'd rather steer clear of it.

I do however agree with Hatmaker in the fact that you do need to talk to your doctor and perhaps a pharmacist. I think the pharmacist is the way to go. Call a few. Get a few opinions and then maybe you can make a more informed decision. Pharmacists know more about the drug than the doctor. That's what they went to school for. Doctors just know which ones treat what. The pharmacist actually knows HOW it works. What it does to your body, how it breaks down, what it beaks down into, etc... Like hat said....go talk to a couple pharmacists....I would.

Good luck eric....this SUCKS....the position you are in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Goinstrong, how high of a dose were you on and how long?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Eric, I was started at 300mg on day 1, 600mg on day two, 900mg on day 3 and then stayed at 900mg for my daily dose for roughly 5 months. It's been a while, so I'm not positive about the length of time. But it was right around 6 months or so. I know dosing for pain can go up to as much as 1800mg daily. So, in comparison I was on a relatively low dose. Feel free to ask me anything else, it wasn't a horrible drug to be on, it was just a horrible drug to come off of FOR ME. What dose do they have you on, and how often do you take it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i've been taking 300 mg as needed, sort of an every other day thing for the past week or so. I did try 600 mg at once the other day and the side effects were uncomfortable. Im not a big fan of neurontin in the first place, so Im not too bummed about stopping completely, but I may consider taking it as needed if i'm having very bad anxiety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My cousin takes Neurontin for nerve pain and takes 3600 mg a day. So the doses can go pretty high (very safely so), depending on the person's degree of pain or overall need (like for mood swings, I believe I was on 1800 mg per day).

Eric, you need to do what you are comfortable doing. Get some professional opinions and tell them exactly what you told us - that you're afraid of possible withdrawals that you've heard about, even though you've also heard it isn't supposed to be habit-forming. Then after consulting a doctor/pharmacist - maybe you can ask him/her to print out the warning sheet for you (I'm sure they will) - then you can make an informed decision on what YOU WANT TO DO. Regardless of what any of us say.

And whatever you decide, we will support you. Just know that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kelly, when you quit Neurontin, you should have just not expected any trouble and POOF, like magic, you wouldn't have had any issues coming off of it!!! LOL!!! If only it were that simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo,

I'm just going to cut to the chase instead of playing passive-aggressive games with you.

If you take two people - Person A is expecting the worst case scenario in the case of withdrawals (we're not talking about something typically habit-forming) and Person B was told s/he could just stop taking them any time they wanted, no tapering needed. Do you mean to tell me that you don't believe Person B would have an easier time of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you're forgetting that no two people's experiences are necessarily the same, after all, we're all different ya know. While the power of suggestion may work for one person, it won't necessarily work for another.

I'm curious if Kelly had any preconceived notions of Neurontin wd before she quit taking it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
I'm curious if Kelly had any preconceived notions of Neurontin wd before she quit taking it?

I was told that it wouldn't be any problem to just stop taking it. That it was not habit forming. And that ther would be no withdrawals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NO WAY!! You actually had expectations of no wd, yet you still got hit with a harsh wd?? How could that be?? :wink:

Actually, when I quit Suboxone, I had no idea what the wd would be like. I really didn't know much about Suboxone until I joined this forum, which was 4 months after I quit Suboxone. Anyway, I was guessing I may be in for 3 or 4 days of wd, just like most opiates.....boy was I horrified when my wd didn't even peak until day 10!! I had expectations of a fairly short wd, but that crap didn't pan out, that's for sure!!

IMO, there is a LOT more that goes into the severity and duration of one's wd than simply our attitude. I'm fairly convinced there is some sort of biological answer to this riddle of why some people get smacked with a hard wd, while others don't.

Actually, I think TeeJay posted something on this subject a while back. I thought he posted something about some enzyme or something like that that could make wd more intense for some of us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So now totally you're discounting my experience? Tell me, if someone else said this and not me, would you be acting this way? I think not.

Ya know Romeo, I've been nothing but kind to you over all of your relapses, knowing you can't stand me, but I supported you. Yet you continue to be a raging asshole to me. RAGING! Cut this shit out or you'll get a fucking warning. Period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
Actually, I think TeeJay posted something on this subject a while back. I thought he posted something about some enzyme or something like that that could make wd more intense for some of us?

I think I posted something similar. It was more of a theory that people who metabolise their bupe faster may have shorter but more intense withdrawal, while people who metabolise it slower may have more drawn out acute withdrawal.

One thing I noticed with bupe withdrawal is that it can be really unpredictable not just from person to person, but also between incidences. Like a person can withdraw off a dose once and have a helluva time, the next time jump off the same dose and it can be relatively okay. I actually noticed this was sometimes the case with heroin too, but not as variable as with Sub. Who knows?

Having a positive attitude to withdrawal can help in the same way that not focusing on pain can help a person move through it. But there has to be some genuine biological factors at play as to why some episodes of withdrawal are cruisy while others are unbearable. I've jumped off SNRI anti-deps multiple times. Most recently I jumped off Cymbalta expecting it to be cruisy as the two previous times I had experienced no withdrawal. Fuck was I surprised when every time I'd stand up I felt like puking and my joints were aching like I'd aged 50 years overnight. My attitude leading into it was positive, my expectations were positive, and I was still floored. Despite that I kept a positive attitude, which helped me manage to still go to work and study etc.

I think there's a big X-Factor at play in how we experience withdrawal, and some drugs have more of an X-factor than others. Anti-depressants are very unpredictable I've found. Bupe would be one of the more unpredictable opioids in terms of withdrawal, maybe cos its partial agonist / antagonist thing. I guess it just depends on how one's brain chemistry is at the time.

Quote:
Withdrawal

Gabapentin should not be discontinued abruptly after long term use. Abrupt or over rapid withdrawal may provoke a withdrawal syndrome reminiscent to alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal.[34][35] Gradual reduction over a period of weeks or months helps minimize or prevents the withdrawal syndrome.[34]

Side effects upon discontinuation of gabapentin that have been reported in medical literature include insomnia, restlessness, agitation, anxiety, disorientation, confusion, light sensitivity, diaphoresis, headaches, palpitations, hypertension, chest pain, and flu-like symptoms.[34][36][37][38] In one case, abrupt cessation of a high dose of gabapentin triggered a seizure in an individual with no history of epilepsy.[37]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're going to give me a warning because I disagreed with you and poked a little bit of fun at you as I did it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next