It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am going from methadone 24mg to suboxone tomorrow. Last dose last night.... Not sick yet. Just extremely nervous. Anybody who has done this please reply ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[i][b]
ScottMike,welcome and congraulations for choosing Suboxone.

I didn't go from Methadone to Suboxone but I was addicted to Methadone at one time and I know it's a ugly drug to get off. There was no Suboxone back in that time.
I have struggled for over 20 years with many opiates and had it not been for the Suboxone i would probably be dead or in jail.. Trust me,orange would not look good on me. LOL

I've only been on it for a month but I can tell you I feel so much better. I have my life back ,the life I had forgotten.

I use to think I could do nothing unless I had pills. Guess what? I was doing nothing no matter how many pills I had. I was doing just what I had to do to get by and usually half ass.
Today, if something needs to be done I don't NEED a pill to do it.

I've had some problems with my Ins. and my quack Dr. but it's worth the fight. It's about my recovery and for me I want recovery and all it has to offer.

I wish you the best and please keep us posted of how you doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey ScottMike123 and welcome to the forum-

We have a member called ChinaGirl who recently switched from Methadone to Suboxone successfully. She is a very caring and compassionate person and is very knowledgeable as well. Here is a link to her thread about making the switch:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2 ... ght=#21254

I'd recommend reaching out to her, maybe send her a PM, I'm sure she could answer a lot of your questions.

I don't have firsthand experience with switching from methadone to Sub, but my understanding is that it takes longer for withdrawals to start after your last dose of methadone (longer than with short-acting opiates) so you might have to wait longer before taking your first dose of Suboxone. You are at a fairly low dose of methadone, so that is good. The Suboxone should be strong enough to eliminate any withdrawal symptoms or cravings. Just make sure you are in mild-to-moderate withdrawals from the methadone before you start the Suboxone.

Please let us know how things go and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. We have a great group of people here who are willing to help. Good luck!

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've read this board for days before the switch and took a few days off of work cannot take anymore than that. Kinda high up in the chain and am needed. Thank god. Bud am very nervous about the possibility of P WD. Went through it once years ago when subs first came out. Scared the s out of me. Went back to methadone after a few weeks. Trying again cause at this point unbelievably the sub will ne cheaper than the methadone which I have been nothing short of successful with for almost 8 yrs! That's the real reason I am so scared. I don't want anything to change I haven't used anything without a dr. In 8 yrs! Arghhh...nerves are shot.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Scottmike123 wrote:
I've read this board for days before the switch and took a few days off of work cannot take anymore than that. Kinda high up in the chain and am needed. Thank god. Bud am very nervous about the possibility of P WD. Went through it once years ago when subs first came out. Scared the s out of me. Went back to methadone after a few weeks. Trying again cause at this point unbelievably the sub will ne cheaper than the methadone which I have been nothing short of successful with for almost 8 yrs! That's the real reason I am so scared. I don't want anything to change I haven't used anything without a dr. In 8 yrs! Arghhh...nerves are shot.

How many days did you stop taking opiates? I took Methadone last at 1 PM Friday(85mg) and will start methadone 6 PM. Monday. So it will be about 76 hours when I start, I have been taking Oxy the past couple days though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've done the switch. Once from 30mg, the other time from 40mg. Because I was young-ish at the time (early 20's) my doc figured I'd be able to handle the withdrawals - they get worse as you age it seems.

Both times there were precipitated withdrawals, but they were relatively mild and only lasted about a day. You'll need to take the day off though and take it easy. The withdrawals have a funny feeling about them too - they were kinda like hanging out, but had a very stimulant quality to them too. Don't get me wrong, you won't feel like doing much and your head may feel jittery, but it had that weird quality about it. All precipitated withdrawal feels a bit like this - even narcan / naloxone injections.

But it's well worth it. The next day you'll feel awesome - 10 times more human than when on the methadone. And you'll feel like you have heaps of energy that the methadone sapped from your body.

Mind you, your mileage may vary, and I switched on higher doses. 76 hours is a pretty standard washout period where I'm from.

Last edited by tearj3rker on Mon May 16, 2011 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One of the most common ("best"?) ways to make the switch from methadone to sub is to stop the methadone about a week before, then your doctor would switch you to a short-acting opiate (like oxy or something). Then you'd make the switch from the short-acting directly to suboxone. This is because methadone is so long acting and that week would give it time to get out of your system. It's much easier and from what I've learned on the subject there's a much lower chance of experiencing any precipitated withdrawals in the process. Are you doing this with the assistance of a doctor? If so, I'm a bit surprised that your doctor didn't handle it this way.

Also, per Dr. J's recommendation, if you do experience P/W, just go ahead and keep dosing with suboxone until you start to feel better. Methadone to suboxone can sometimes be a difficult transition. I wish you the very best with it. Please let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi,

In Nov last year I decided to stop my methadone. I had been at a clinic for 2 1/2 years and was on 75mg. I hated methadone and just decided to make the switchover. I tossed all my take outs so I wouldn't be tempted to use it...and just jumped from 75mg. I couldn't taper down....i tried...and I know they all say get to 30mg. I took a chance.

I had about 5 or 6-5mg vicodins that I used to ease w/d...I used one or two whenever I'd feel anxious...however even jumping at 75mg I only had mild w/d symptoms. I actually waited 6 days before starting sub (Subutex) and measuring my w/d on the COWS I was still only in mild w/d...maybe a 7 on the COWS. (google it...it can help you see where you are so you can start the sub without pwd).

I kept waiting to get sicker so I could start the sub but by day 6 I was tired of waiting.KIt had been 18 hours since my last vicodin so I went for it. As I said I was about a 7 on the COWS and that morning I took my first 2mg of Sub. 20 min. later I was fine...feeling ok...so within that hour I took another 2mg. Then an hour later another 2mg and then in afternoon another 4mg for a total of 10mg. the first day. I felt great and I was so happy to be off methadone.

So, you will be just fine. I really think I could have started the sub by day 3...and I've heard others that just took sub the very next day, didn't even wait. Everyone is different, but if you are at 24mg you should be able to jump fairly easily. Start slow, 2mg of Sub....wait and see how you feel. I did my induction at home....my dr normally wouldn't do that with someone on such a high dose of methadone but he allowed me to do it...if you are doing it at home, like I said just start slow...and after 20 min if you don't have any pwd then you're in the clear.

My dr. advised this: total up the amount you took the first 24 hours (of sub) and then take that full amount in the morning the 2nd day. So i ended up taking 10mg the first day and I felt really good. The next day i took 10mg to start. I ended up needing 16mg a day for about a month or two probably because I was on such a high dose of methadone when I started sub, but I tapered down and now am at 6mg. 6 months later.

Good luck. And congrats on making this choice. Sub isn't without its issues but in my opinion its much preferrable to methadone.

Post subject: forgot...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:48 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

ScottMike 123,

Send me a pm if you prefer. I would be happy to help you through the process. Let us know how it goes if you've started today....

And DOAQ- thank you for such a nice compliment.

Post subject: well i started...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

okay so i even got a hotel room the night before to not bother my family with the withdrawal pains. i know how i get. i went to the dr this am pretty much broke down right there and then and felt as if i was not ready... they all but ignored me saying i can do this, and so on. i then took the 4mg half... felt okay for 15 mins. about 10mins later here they come i knew it i was so scared of this! P w/d.

now the weird thing is i think it only lasted a good 2 hrs. now i just have lower back pain, still hairs are ercect and gooseflesh but i can sit and write this.

my big question is they told me to take another 4 mg today at appx 4pm or 6pm. i took the first 2mg at 10 30.

if i take more later will it throw me into a deeper w/d? or will things get better? should i not do anymore.
i have pretty bad lower back pain right now that i never had.

thanks any help is much much appreciated, i want to spend the night with my kids and wife but am worried about how ill be when they get home at 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Scottmike123 wrote:
okay so i even got a hotel room the night before to not bother my family with the withdrawal pains. i know how i get. i went to the dr this am pretty much broke down right there and then and felt as if i was not ready... they all but ignored me saying i can do this, and so on. i then took the 4mg half... felt okay for 15 mins. about 10mins later here they come i knew it i was so scared of this! P w/d.

now the weird thing is i think it only lasted a good 2 hrs. now i just have lower back pain, still hairs are ercect and gooseflesh but i can sit and write this.

my big question is they told me to take another 4 mg today at appx 4pm or 6pm. i took the first 2mg at 10 30.

if i take more later will it throw me into a deeper w/d? or will things get better? should i not do anymore.
i have pretty bad lower back pain right now that i never had.

thanks any help is much much appreciated, i want to spend the night with my kids and wife but am worried about how ill be when they get home at 3

From past experience, I would say that you'll be okay when you take the 4 mg. You still won't be feeling 100%, and it's possible it will bring on some mild P w/d for a lil while, but it'll be nowhere near as bad as the first dose. The first dose is generally the worst, as that's when most of the methadone gets booted off the receptors.

But you're doin real well. I don't think you really needed to do the motel room thing. Support of family can be really useful in moments like this. But I spose you were unsure of how intense it can get, so fair enough.

The precipitated withdrawal from methadone -> suboxone really isn't the nightmare that people think if you give yourself a 3 day washout. From what I remember, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the peak of a detox.

After your first sleep, you'll be feeling 1,000,000$$

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:02 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I wish you'd waited a bit longer than 24 hours before starting the sub....my first thought is to not take another dose if you had pwd. But today is 48 hours since last methadone dose? If so, you might be ok to take another dose. Maybe take 2mg, wait 20 min, then take another 2mg if you are ok...then later take another 4mg.

What you could be going through right now is not having enough Sub on board...but it's a bit confusing not knowing if those were pwd you had, and not knowing exactly how long you've been off methadone now.

Since you were only at 24mg methadone I'm thinking you should be ok to continue with Sub. But just start at 2mg just to be careful...it's up to you but that is what I would do.

Sorry this is not definitive but I just don't know enough about your history....good luck and let us know. others will give you their opinion as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Something interesting my doctor did when I switched, was at first he put me on Subutex, then when I felt better he switched to Suboxone. He said that the precipitated withdrawal from Suboxone is a bit harder to deal with. I'm assuming that's because the small amounts of naloxone we manage to absorb.

This info might be too little to late now :?

Post subject: Was on 100 MG methadone
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was on 100 MG of methadone at the time I switched to suboxone. I too was so scared, because I had to stop before my induction, and like many people withdrawals absolutely *terrified* me. I had experienced them before and knew how bad they were.

Basically, I took 40 MG no more than 48 hours before my induction. I knew I should have waited longer.

When I had my induction, I was in mild withdrawal, but not *NEARLY* as bad as it could have been. I was scared I was going to go into withdrawals for not waiting long enough. My first day I think I took 24 MG of Suboxone, and while I didn't necessarily feel worse, it definitely didn't live up to my expectation for making me feel *normal*. However, within a few days it was much better and after a month I was completely stabilized. A month is also how long it took to finally pass a drug test free of methadone! So, when it comes to methadone and suboxone, it really just takes a bit to adjust.

I have been clean almost 3 years now. I graduate from college this term. Suboxone saved my life! I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Maleko,

Congratulations on 3 years clean and also graduating from college. Great job!

Post subject: Not all there yet
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah I never had and can't imagine having a euphoric feeling on this stuff. Still feel foggy like or zombie ish. P ads are done for sure... From what I can tell. Only took a 4mg and another 4mg 4hrs later that's it today. Never did feel straight. Unsure what to do tomorrow. Maybe 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your docs the best one to talk to. At this point I'd say you don't have enough suboxone in your system to hold you. Methadone is really potent.

When I was in NA a couple of people mentioned this scale of "x mg's of suboxone = x ml's of methadone". I think it was like "1mg suboxone = 4ml methadone". By that theory, 32mg would be the equivalent of 128ml of the done. But don't quote me on that. Also, comparing suboxone to methadone is like comparing tuna to salmon. It's a whole different fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OMG! I have been there, my word of advice, your on 24mg, keep lowering to zero, dont go on sub. From 24mg to zero is do-able in a very reasonable time lapse.I lowered 10% a week, it might seem like a long time but its not. Do i wish someone would have told me just that b4 starting suboxone! Instead of lowering to zero methadone in a smooth sailing way, cuz i done it before i broke and crushed my verterbres and got dependant on opiates again. If you are considering taking sub its because your mind is in the right place. All it did to me, well, all ... now its from a different perspective ... I got promises that as easy as in a month ill be totally clean free of any crutches, yeah right! The initial feeling is oh yes, i got energy again, hurray. 2 yrs later, i was still relying on something to not feel crappy, after yrs of that, its like come on! Sry if i have a negative attitude about it right now, i didnt until 8 days ago, when i stopped taking any sub. All i know is that when you lower your methadone to zero, your done! Suboxone has this grip on me, wish i knew the withdraw would last over 2 month before i ever started to take this 'wonder' drug.
But then again, that is me being in withdraw frame of mind. If your planning on a forever maintenance and dont care to take a pill for the rest of your days...go for it. But if your frame of mind is being free, just deal with the hour to get to the drugstore crappy feeling for another 2-3months and your home free.

P.SI know we arent supposed to debate pros and cons of one choice of maintenance to another, but everywhere i read about information- education is key on this site,well how else is one gonna get real information without debating the pros and cons? I mean arent doctor getting their info from subjets like us in their studies and publications?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with suboxone. I hope you don't mind if I clarify the whole don't debate the pros and cons rule for you. You are right, that it is one of the main rules of the forum (to not debate the pros and cons of different modes of treatment for opiate addiction). What one person needs or wants isn't necessarily the right thing for anyone else. As Dr. Junig has said many times, just keep your posts to your personal experience and avoid blanket statements that apply to everyone. I appreciate that you do seem respect that. I believe it is very possible to get and give accurate information without debating with each other that one way is better than another way.

Now that that's been clarified, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Everyone's experience with sub and methadone or any other form of treatment for opiate addiction is valuable here.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.