It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am a dependent on my mom's health insurance. If I pay for the doctors visit and suboxone out of pocket, what will long term consequences be in regards to a job and applying for insurance in the future? And could I be kicked off my mom's insurance as a dependent if I pay out of pocket? If I don't use my social at the doctor or pharmacist then how will they find out? -Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, Regarding your question for paying out of pocket. Your insurance will not find out as long as you do not use your insurance to pay for the Doctor's visit or the suboxone.

If you do use the insurance, they will not drop you because it is prescribed by a doctor. Because of the HIPPA laws, it is doubtful that any future companies will know your medical history .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Long term consequences..

Hopefully after Jan 1 there shouldn't be any, we will see. If the pre-existing conditions rules were not changing soon, I would recommend that you lie on any future insurance applications (when they ask what mediations you've taken, etc.) Before these changes, it's quite likely that you'd be denied for having been on suboxone, if you either admitted it on paperwork, or if it showed up in any records that were obtainable by the insurance company or underwriters. Hopefully that will all be moot now.

Raudy is right, you shouldn't have any issues with your parent's insurance whether you pay out of pocket or not. It would be future insurance policies that could prove to be trouble, but again, those rules are all changing now.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I forgot.. future jobs should not be affected unless you're still taking it, they happened to test for buprenorphine, and they have a policy against it.

Also my comments above do not apply to employer benefits. If you get a job that provides healthcare, you'd have no trouble regarding suboxone whether it was in your history or not. I was speaking about individual plans that you'd apply for on your own, if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yeah I feel like I am getting this prescription at the best time(due to all the health reform). I want to keep it all off the radar still and just hope My mom's insurance wont find out and her rates don't go up. And I am about to graduate with chemical engineering and don't want drug or oil companies knowing my medical history before I apply to one of their jobs. Honestly, I am so damn sick of getting these damn oranges off the street. So i am going to a sub clinic this Saturday. I talk to the doctor at this clinic and I can get the subs at the clinic. The only bummer is the clinic has to put the suboxone prescription in that pharmacy database, but other than that database I have nothing to worry about. Thank you both so much for replying btw. If you have any other input I'd greatly appreciate.

* tinydancer I just saw your new post: I want to start Suboxone LEGALLY this Saturday and hopefully be off the drug by January. And yeah company insurance would be great, as long as there's no worries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, I have wondered about this myself. I was going to apply for a new life insurance policy a few weeks ago, and I backed out because I was worried about the suboxone showing up in my medical records.

So, how do we know if it will show up or not?