It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on 12mg of suboxone a day for 1 year. I have been with the same doctor the whole time and have been doing great. I was addicted to norcos and vicodin for 3 years. I have never called and asked for my refill so much as a day early sense I have been on them. But I am strongly considering going out of state to take care of a relative who is having surgery. So I would have to get my refill before I leave. I am just really nervous to ask my doc for it early. I look up to my doc a lot and think very highly of him and I am afraid that he will not believe my reason for needing it early (although I never have in a year) and look down on me. Any advise will be grately appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would just explain the situation honestly as you did to us. And there's nothing wrong with admitting to your doctor that you're nervous about asking after all you did to your previous doctors during your addiction. That IS how you feel after all and you're just being honest. The worst thing that can happen is s/he will say no.

What about getting something from your relative's doctor to confirm the family situation? And will you be flying out of state? You could also provide the doc with a copy of your itinerary of your trip.

Others might have more ideas.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:30 pm 
A good doc can give you a post dated script so you can pick it up where you're going. Call ahead and make sure they stock it or order
it. When I switched pharmacies, it took them a week to fill my 2 mg generic bupe script.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ironic wrote:
A good doc can give you a post dated script so you can pick it up where you're going. Call ahead and make sure they stock it or order
it. When I switched pharmacies, it took them a week to fill my 2 mg generic bupe script.

My insurance pays for mine at an earlier date.

I SHOULD POINT OUT:
I get my script 3 months at a time. So when I go to my Suboxone doctor, he gives me a script with 75 Suboxone 8mg/2mg Film X 2 REFILLS.

So I get 90 days supply at once, in ONE visit...not per month. I went to my doctor in November, and I go back in February..
He did this with me back when I had NO insurance at all, and the doctor listened to me explain my situation about being laid off from work, my wife being laid off from work, none of it was any sort of ploy to get meds, but I needed seriously to have some help...financially.

For a NORMAL patient, my doctor will not take you if you call him up and say "hey, I'm addicted to pills/opiates, and I need to get started on Suboxone treatment, I heard you were the kind of doctor that would prescribe it..."

My doctor will turn you down, QUICK. You HAVE to have a referral from ANOTHER doctor when using medicare and coming to my doctor. Otherwise, you have to pay my doctor $350 UP FRONT on the first visit before he will see you.

When I came to him, I was ALREADY on suboxone, had been on Suboxone for a year, and I explained that I was an existing patient already taking suboxone..no referral from anyone..but I needed to switch doctors because 1)he was closer than the doctor I was using at that time, and 2)the doctor I was using was pushing all kind of pills on me that I COULD NOT take. This guy told me I was bipolar, and said "most addicts or people with addictive tendancies are bipolar", and he handed me a script of some pills for bipolar. The crap he gave me made me have some SERIOUS damn headaches..for 3 days that I took it, I had 3 headaches each morning. SO BAD, that I threw up each morning..the 3rd morning, I quit taking the crap.

He also gave me a mixture of stuff during the year I saw him...klonopins, etc..which I DID ask for something with my nerves, but he would only allow me to take 1 klonopin every 3 days..

What really did it for me with that doctor, I tested positive for a hydrocodone on my 3rd visit..and I told the guy that I had been sick and took some cough medicine..and I wasn't sure WHAT was in it..turns out it had hydro in it.
The guy made me come 45 miles away EVERY WEEK for 7 weeks straight just to get my meds and test me. He would NOT give more than 1 weeks supply of Suboxone, and I had THOROUGHLY explained that I was laid off work and didn't have the money to do this...but he INSISTED that I come see him 7 times in 7 weeks. Then he wouldn't see me for free on the 8th visit like he promised to do, he made me pay HALF of a visit, which was $55. He was charging me $110 CASH ONLY for every suboxone visit..so figure up 7 weeks of visits @ $110 each....

Once I told this new doctor all of the above information, he said for me to come see him. He warned me from the start that if I failed JUST ONE pee test, that he wouldn't see me. But I assured him that I was NOT going to do anything to jeopardize my treatment...and that I wanted to change doctors badly...and I needed help financially because of the burden it was putting on my family...

He told me he would allow me to come see him once every 12 weeks, and that was as long as he could prescribe Suboxone for...was 12 weeks at a time..
I said that was GREAT and would GREATLY benefit my family and myself, and that he would never have a problem with me as a patient..and that was almost 2 years ago....

Now moving on, when it comes to me picking up my prescription, the pharmacy is the ones that I deal with.
Of COURSE, the pharmacist can rebuke your request to pick up your medicine, at any time, if he thinks you're too early or getting them too often...depending on how you're prescribed and how often you get your scripts..
I have to get my scripts monthly of course, since I get 75 with 2 refills. Sometimes, my refills come due on a week when it's not payday, so I have to get just a few to do me until paycheck time...
The pharmacist is usually pretty good at it, as long as insurance will pay he will allow me to pick mine up. The VERY earliest that I can go get my meds is 5 days early. If my Suboxone was picked up on December 28, then the VERY soonest that I can go pick up in January is January 23, and the earliest I would even try is on January 25 or 26... But I know from a past hiccup with my insurance a couple months back that the earliest is 5 days...luckily they went back 20 days in the computer and fixed the script to be correct..so my insurance picked up and covered like it should've...but it took them a couple of days to figure it out.

I'm longwinded, but only because I've been a forum-goer for so long..I like in-depth and informational postings to read, and I give the same thing when I reply to someone. It makes things more interesting when you have more than just a sentence or 2 to read from a poster and gives you in-depth perception of them and their vices.

Post subject: CONCERNING SCRIPT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Ironic wrote:

I would advise you to get your refills before you go...I was told they could not transfer a narcotic out of state. This happened during my addiction days when we would be somewhere (another state) and I would call my doctor with a story about bla bla and needed something for pain....I was told he could not call in narcotics out of state? Anyone else ever heard of this??

Slipper