It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello all,

I joined this forum recently and it's a life line so thanks to all of you for sharing your infinite wisdom and experience.

Here's a little of mine. I've been on methadone for the last few months, first getting prescriptions from my pain doctor but when he could no longer feel comfortable about writing for me I joined the nearby clinic. I've been on methadone this time, lets see, exactly a year now. I've always kept my dose low being an old timer, meaning, I'm 60 now and I have used methadone off and on forever, to help stablize my life and get me away from binging or all that other pain pill and heroin seeking crap.

Finally after many years of fighting it I have to accept that I cannot live without this type of medication. I've proven that to myself time and time again. The last couple of times were in the ER being brought back from the dead. It doesn't get any clearer than that. When I was younger I could take a fall, pick myself up, dust myself off and march on to fight the good fight again. Well that ain't happening no mo......

At 60, when I fall, I don't get back up so easy and dust myself off. I need help and it's usually from the life support crew which is not a habit anyone can win.

Long story short, I have accepted my fate and it's okay. If there is a medication that will keep me safe and alive and the side effects are not so bad that I can't enjoy a quality of life I want and am used to, I will take it. That medication was methadone and as soon as I can make the cross over, will be suboxone.

I tried a bit more than a week ago to make the change and it did not go well as I mentioned to this group in a few of my threads recently. So I'm back on 10mg of methadone and it's barely holding me but that's a good thing. I'm ok but I've got one leg in the door that is labeled, WD's.....

The first time I tried sub my doc, who i like, prescribed 2 mg films with the nalox. in it. I went 36 hours after dosing on 10mg methadone took my first film and within minutes the nightmare began. It did not work, too much methadone still in my system and I could not bare the suffering after 24 hours of hell so I ate about 3 of my 10mg methadone pills I had squirlled away, about 2 mg. xanax, a 50 mg tramadol I had from an old dentist script and laid on my bed until whatever I took hit it's mark and gave me the relief I desperately needed. After a few hours finally it did.....

I would have hung tight through the storm of pw's but I was not sure what was going on, if I was doing it right, how long it would last, as in , days? hours? and my bp was 220/110 and that scared the shit out of me. I have high bp so I have to be careful of how I do this kind of thing and I really shouldn't be doing it by myself but I'm determined if nothing else.

I did call my doc while suffering and he said yeah, you should probably have waited a bit longer to induce and get that methadone out of you system. Like maybe another 24 or 48 hours. to which i said, if I could do that I would not be an addict now would I? Then he said well maybe you just can't tolerate the naloxone so i'm gonna write you for bup without it.......then the phone went dead. I'm thinkin, did he just hang up on me? mf'kr!!! But i didn't really care cause i was too sick.

long story longer, yesterday the pharmacy called out of the blue, I didn't exppect it, saying they had my new script ready. this one are the tabs, 2mg, bup, no nalxonne. Now i know from what I learned here that it's not the naloxone that causes all the misery as so many think. And I get that. But i'm gld at least that I don't have to take anything other than pure bup!! it makes a difference in my mind which is where half the action takes place!!

So this is it. I dosed today at the clinic 10mgs which is barely holding me so I figure, if possible, I'm going to start this process and try again. I won't go to the clinic tomorrow. I have a couple of 50mg tramadol so if I'm really in misery I think it might be ok to take one or two to help me make it through the next 24 to 48 hours. Ideally, I don't want to dose with the bup until I have gone w/out methadone for at least, at least, 72hrs but even better 4 or 5 days.! That is important to me because I know from experience that methadone stays in my system up to 5 days!

So yeah, I'm going for it again guys. I think I have the right plan. I have the right meds, I have my bp cuff and housemates nearby that can keep an eye on me if need be. My calander is clear for the next couple of weeks except for an appt with the bup doc so I think I can make it happen.

I hope these new bup pills i have help. I paid 57. copay for 60 2mg. generic for subutex tabs to be put under the toungue. If one don't work I'll do two or three until I get enough in me to make the difference since i don't think 2mg will do it at first. maybe later, but not the induction.......

love ya all, wish me luck, sorry about the long email...........best! megster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Megster, wow-- I had no idea! I hope you make the transition, just because buprenorphine does allow for a bit more freedom.

I think you realize that naloxone doesn't make a difference-- but I get the psychological part. To answer your question, precipitated withdrawal never lasts very long. I think you have a good handle on the facts of the situation-- e.g. that 2 mg is just not enough to get through an induction in a person with a bit of methadone floating around. I've read a number of reports of people who successfully treated precipitated withdrawals with high doses of buprenorphine-- on the order of 16 mg. I am not recommending that you do anything counter to what your doctor prescribes, but I do recommend suggesting to your doc that you use a higher dose of buprenorphine. My concern with 2 mg is that you will be stuck in a state of misery as your mu receptors battle it out... and I think you would be feel better if the buprenorphine simply won that battle from the very start.

The one thing you can do that will increase then odds of success is to wait as long as possible before taking buprenorphine. With no doubt, the longer you wait, the higher your chance of success. If you can go 2 days, go 2 days-- but if you can somehow make it to 4 or 5 days, that will work better. If you DO experience withdrawal, understand that you will likely do as well taking buprenorphine as you would taking an agonist-- and it would be a much safer course. Avoid other sedatives (like benzos) during the process, as those increase the risks associated with agonists.... and let us know how things go. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:28 pm 

Hey Megster! Not everyone is lucky enough to have our resident doctor answer their questions on. You can't get much better for a consult. We are all pulling for you to get through the uncomfortable withdrawal stage and finally transition to suboxone!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:54 am 

Just wanted to tell ya good luck and we're all here to support u! U can do this :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good Morning Megster!

Its been close to 2 days since we've heard from you since taking your last methadone dose and starting your wait time to induce bup. Hoping you are hanging in there and can hold out the longest amount of time for you to better switch to bup. Thinking of you - know its a difficult time. Lots of support here for YOU! Peli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:15 pm 

Yes, please let us know where you are in the process. It takes so much courage to get through the withdrawal portion of the transition! But you can do it! I'm sending supportive thoughts your way. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys, sorry about being MIA. I didn't realize I'd even gotten a response let alone one from our guru Suboxdoc! Thank you Suboxdoc for your attention and valuable advice. And thank you friends and moderators for your attention as well.

I'm still in my 10mg methadone holding pattern. Have not made the jump and that is only because I have an appt. with my Suboxone Dr. in two days that I thought I should consult with before trying again. I've only gone to him once when he prescribed 2mg film and I didn't really have a grip on the process nor tell him my plan so the first try was more an experiment that went bad. Not all bad though. I learned a lot from it so I'm fairly confident my next attempt will succeed.

So yeah. I'll see him in two days, monday and we'll discuss it together and hopefully he will be able to add at least a little more support than he did the last time. As you all know this website is more useful than most of the doctors we go to, sadly. But rather than complain I will say I am grateful to have both and I will use both to make this change in medications work for me once and for all.

Thank you for listening, offering your wisdom and experience, and following my thread! I will keep you informed when I try again which I am planning to do sometime next week after the appt. You have given so much to me. I want to succeed in this process and in turn, give as much back to you. Until then, all the best! megster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I made it!!!!! yeehaw! Finally!

Finally I can say I am no longer on methadone and have successfully made the switch to Suboxone. I was so full of fear from the first attempt that I wasn't sure I'd be able to do this on my own or at all but that is no longer an issue.

I saw my doctor for a 15 min. "follow up" appt. last monday with a short list of questions which he did his best to answer. He confirmed that Clonodine was a good medicine for the hot and cold chills. I'd first heard about it on this forum and I had a prescription for it that I never took for my high BP so I tried it and wow! It really makes a huge difference! So yeah, that helped a lot with the intense temp. spikes which started when I got myself down to 10mg methadone. It was barely enough and my body was starting to go into WD's even though I was taking 10mg methadone daily for a few weeks.

Long story short I jumped off the methadone clinic at 10mg. and it wasn't too bad. I just experienced a lot of chills and my body started getting weaker and weaker until I could hardly carry myself to the bathroom. I knew then that most if not all the methadone was out of my system because when I get that weak I know.

I did not count the 24 hours after my last dose as part of the time without meds because it lasts 24 hours. So I started my countdown clock after that. So I dosed 10mg methadone on Monday and nothing on Tuesday and on Weds. when I got up this morning I could hardly walk my body felt so heavy. No other WD symptoms which is typical of methadone wd's.

Because I felt so weak I figured it was time to try the bup. Thankfully my doctor wrote me a script for pure bup w/o the Nalox. The pills were only 2mg. under then tongue but I took one and waited to see what would happen. After about 30 minutes of nothing really happening I took another, still no bad reaction I took another, then another totally 10mgs. in about 2 hrs. and here I am. I feel fine. The intense weakness gone. The chills gone. Depression gone. I feel normal. A slight headache that I hope does not stay but yeah, the bup is working and I can finally say goodbye to methadone and methadone clinics!!

If this medication continues to work as it seems to be at the moment then I'll have my freedom of movement back as well as more money in my pocket because I was paying cash for the clinic where bup is mostly covered by my insurance. Hopefully this is the win win situation that I was working so hards towards.

I can't thank each of you enough for your input and support through this process. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. I will have to get my doctor to up the mgs as Suboxdoc suggested since right now I need at least 10mgs a day and my script is for 4mg a day. Knowing my doctor I'm sure he will agree and knowing myself I will ween down to as little as I possibly can and squirrel the rest somewhere safe in case of an emergency like insurance cutting me off or some crazy crap like that.

All the best to you and thanks again!! megster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey megster!!!!

Welcome to your new life on bup! Congrats on making the switch from methadone to bup, no easy task!! Excellent work on your part, including coming here!! Superb effort resulting in success. Well done!! You will be an asset here to help others that come looking for help to switch. Keep checking in and let us know what's it like! P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:33 am 

That is so awesome!!! Good job, Meg! I didn't even read your whole post yet but I wanted to chime in right away. I'm really happy for you!!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Amy and Pelican,

It really feels good to have made the switch. No need to read my lengthy post Amy. I know the longer they are the less likely people will read them unless the subject matter is exactly what someone is looking to research. I was all over this site in an effort to find people who could discuss the subject of methadone to Subox. and thankfully I found all I needed to help me make it happen. Great site!

Today is my first day on 10mg sub. and I feel like a new person. Better than I did on methadone. I have not even dosed today. Don't feel the need yet. Work up more rested and in less pain than usual so I'm pretty psyched.

Lesson learned? Never let fear stand in the way of trying something new. I was very reluctant to give up methadone because it was familiar and it worked, for the most part. I resented being pushed to take the newer meds. ie: suboxone accusing my doctors and the medical community of just wanting to push the more expensive newest " toy in the toy box". Some of that may or may not be true but I nearly let it keep me from trying it and I'm glad I didn't. Everything is worth a try if it's main goal is to help improve the quality of our lives.

Thanks again for all your help. megster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you Ms. Ever Stalwart.
If you like the Cohen brother's, Hail Caesar was quite good.
Hope it goes well for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 am 

Great job megster!!!!

I bet that's a hugeeee relief. Good luck!!