It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: getting ready to induct
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking opiate pain medication since May 2008, I started on 7.5mg of percocet and now I am on 80mg Oxycontin and 30mg of oxycodone (4 to 10 day). I have cancer and I am getting better so my pain doc wants me off the opiates. Needless to say I myself want to be off of them as well. I researched and suggested subutex over the summer as a possible way to get off of the opiates when it was time and the pain doc agreed with this.

I just got info about this site yesterday afternoon I read and researched another site a few months when I was researching my options and that site was very anti-subutex and not many people posted their good experiences pretty much they were all bad. Anywho that is not what is important.

On Tuesday I am being admited to the hospital for a 3 day induction. I am kind of rethinking that a little bit but with my health issue I think it may be safer to go that route. I did not know until yesterday I was being admited to the chemical dependency dept of the hospital so that has made my anxiety triple. I assumed that he was admitting to a general med-surg floor. Nope. I did pretty much tell the intake nurse yesterday that I am not comfortable going to group and meeting etc and that did not go over great and of course this is a holiday weekend so I can not get my doc to call me back, my PCP did call back this morning and said he will call them Tuesday to write an order that it will be opitional for me in regards to participation in the "program". But if anyone who has gone the hospital route and/or rehab route can you tell me what to expect? I found out my bags will be searched, my phone will be siezed and I can have no visitors. And all phone calls the 2 I am allowed to make while I am there anyways will be 5 minutes and will be on speaker phone so that the staff can list to make sure I am not doing anything "shady". and I am being held for 72 hours and not able to check myself out during that time because it is the law here in CA? I never heard about that but the nurse said that is the law for any mental health/chemcial dependency admission in this state?
enough rambling there what is, is I just have to try to keep myself from freaking out and remind myself that doing this is a good thing, I am getting unneecesary chemicals out of my body. And resetting my pain receptors so that it does not take a ton of opiates to get a headache under control.

My plan is the 3 days in the hospital for the induction and then a 21 day taper. I am just kind of "getting" that i took 2 1/2 years of almost daily opiate use to get here and there is NO overnight miracle cure. This is going to be both mentally and physically a mess for a while and I have to accept that. But either way it is scary it does not matter if you got the script from your local retail pharmacy or your local street pharmacy opiates are tough.

My mind is all over the place and I have been reading here on and off for the past couple of hours so I am sorry if I said anything wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:26 pm 
Welcome to the forum!! Thats a pretty good bit of time taking opiates. Do you have a after care plan? How do you plan on staying off opiates after you stop the 21 day taper? Its not easy. Im in my 20th month taking sub and still taking it. It has given me a chance to gain back control of my life. It can do wanders for a person. Clearly the laws where you are definitely are much different than the laws where im at. You dont have to be inducted at a hospital here. I've never heard of that honestly. I've heard of people having to go to a clinic to get their daily dose but thats in Canada. Sorry i dont really have many answers for you. Others will come along an leave you with more information. Again welcome to the forum!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi amymo and welcome. The first thing I want to say is congratulations - it sounds like you beat cancer? That's awesome.

OK, from what you've said so far, it almost sounds to me that you are not an addict - you just got dependent on the opiates while you were being treated for cancer? If that is the case then your short taper might be exactly what you need. I, too, have never heard of someone having to be hospitalized to be induced. That's kind of weird to me - especially if you indeed are dependent and not addicted. I've never been to rehab, but I have been in a psych unit. They are all different, so I can't tell you what to expect. But some of them are like you described. Have you discussed the subject of addiction vs dependence with your doctor? It might be a good idea.

Keep in mind that I've said is based on the little amount you shared with us. I could be way off. Maybe you could share some more info with us?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Amymo, I only inducted suboxone less than 24 hours ago, so there isn't much I can tell you except my perspective on my experience yesterday. But that is exactly why I may have something to contribute.

There was absolutely NOTHING about the process that I could not do without a doctor or medical supervision.
Seems if your doctor has concerns, he/she could make arrangements to be available to you by phone during
the time you WD, and then induct you in his/her office.

Is there something else you didn't mention? Like the doctor suspects you are abusing your script?
Do you use pain pills not prescribed by this doctor? Did you freak out when the subject of giving up you pain
pills came up?

Please don't think I am being judgemental- I promise you, I am in NO position to be judging anyone.
And the people on this forum are the most open minded, helpful resource I found on the whole internet.

Let us help you...please. Whether you have crossed a line into addiction, or you are being railroaded into
treatment you don't truly need. Good luck!

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi amymo, welcome.

My name is Queenie, You are a brave person and first I must say, Congrats on beating that devil illness called cancer.

Like the others have mentioned, It's the first I hear of in-patient induction medical or psych ward.

Did your doctor explain why? I don't know much about these things but I can advise that you stay with us here.

This is a place I can come to anytime and I have family here.

Please continue to be a part of this wonderful family and let us know how this turnss out for you.

I will be looking forward to your post.

Love, Queenie