It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I need something to help me sleep.. I have been staying up till like 5-6AM every night lately, but luckily I don't have work until 4:30PM so I can sleep in till like Noon..

I really want Xanax or KPin to help with this because I have taken them before and I know they both really relax me and allow me to fall asleep much more easily..

My doctor is a psychopharmacologist so all he really does is prescribe things.. How do you think he will feel? I'm only taking like 2MG suboxone a day.... hoping to get like 2MG KPin or Xanax as well a day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most sub doctors won't write a prescription for a benzo at all. ...period. there was evena sign hanging on the wall of my first sub doctors office stating, "no benzodiazapines will be prescribed with buprenorphine". Benzos are highly addictive and can be fatal when used in combination with opiates. It can cause serious CNS depression, causing you to stop breathing. It's generally a no no with sub. There are exceptions to most everything though and.........

However, some drs will write a small rx for a short amount of time, it's really going to depend on the dr. My current dr wrote me a prescription for klonopin, for anxiety attacks, and insomnia. I don't particularly care for the way I feel the next day after taking one, so I may take a total of 2 a month. If you've never had a problem with Benzos, and your dr feels is safe wuth the 2 mgs of sub you take, he may give you a prescription for it, or he may give you something entirely different to help you sleep, something non habit formong. All you can do is ask. If your Dr does give you a rx for Xanax or klonopin, please be careful with it, and only take as small an amount as needed, and never take more than prescribed it for long periods of time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 am 

My sub doctor prescribes me xanax and sub, but I take it so infrequently that one 30 pill bottle of .5 mg lasts me at least 3 months. In other words, I don't take it regularly enough for it to present a problem. That is the only reason they will prescribe it to me, because it lasts me so long and I have a history of needing few refills.

But Lizzie is right. Most sub doctors won't prescribe both. :(

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:48 pm 

2 mg's of either Klonopin or Xanax is a huge dose. I know nothing about the former but I do know about the later. Xanax starts at .25 mg's and goes up to only 2 mg's. It is a very strong benzo. Klonopin is similar in dosage so that is a strong one too.

Why don't you ask your doctor for Ambien or Lunesta? Both are listed as a non benzodiazapine but still act like one. Meaning, both can still be abused if not taken the proper way. I personally never had a problem with Ambien, but others here have. Remember, we are all addicts and any drug that alters our brain we can become dependent on.

Please be very careful,

R62

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good point, Rule, on dosing. From a pharmacologic standpoint, there is no greater risk with benzos in people on buprenorphine, providing they are tolerant to the buprenorphine. But addiction docs recognize that people who got stuck on opioids are probably more likely, in general, to get stuck on sedatives like benzos. There is also pressure from regulatory agencies to avoid benzos and buprenorphine... but their logic is flawed. They note that most OD's on buprenorphine include benzos... and that is true. The ceiling effect protects people from overdose, and benzos remove that protection. But all of that is irrelevant once a person is tolerant to buprenorphine's ceiling level. Once tolerant, they will respond to benzos the same way a person would who is not on opioids.

Xanax and Klonopin are very different meds. Yes, they work at the same receptors, but Xanax will be cleared from the body in 12 hours or so. Klonopin has a half life of several days, and stacks up each day with repeated dosing. The tolerance that develops eventually messes with sleep. Both are great 'sleepers' initially, but I see most people on benzos eventually develop sleep problems-- when the dose can't be raised any more.

Why I hate benzos: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/the-problem-with-benzodiazepines/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So, in Columbus...and Dr's who will?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's not the smartest idea to prescribe benzos to a person with a history of addiction in an outpatient setting IMO. Just my 2c.

In the past if I've had trouble sleeping my quack-doctor prescribes a low dose of Seroquel. 25mg, 50mg tops. But in my case, not sleeping is usually an indicator that mania could be around the corner, so maybe a seroquel is more appropriate in my case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Honestly, I wouldn't want a doctor who would prescribe benzos with suboxone. To me, that shows recklessness on part of the Doctor. Very unlikely for it to ever happen. I have known one though, and the only reason was because someone was addicted to both benzos and suboxone. So he prescribed a VERY small amount, (a one time deal), just so that she could wean off of the benzos correctly. They just don't mix. This kinda stuff is what gives subs a bad name.