It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have posted an intro:)

Im currently on 32mg of suboxone daily and have been for around 2 years now. Im not in a great rush to get off it but I don't want to be on it forever either. I have lots of demons to face before I can think about getting off the subs without relapsing either back into drug addiction or eating disorder.....but I do think that my dose is stupidly high and wonder if I should start tapering very slowly.

For those who have done it from a high dose, how are the initial cuts? Im assuming I could probably get down to about half my dose with not too much trouble and like anything, the sting in the end of the tail will be the worse.

Im scared and don't have anyone else around me who is on suboxone at all. I have 5 lovely children to think about so will need to go slowly.

Thanks all:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi, French and welcome :)

My highest sub dose was 24 mgs/day. My first drop was from 24 mg to 16 mgs/day. From 16 mgs, I dropped down 2 mgs every 2-3 weeks until I reached 8 mgs. I never, ever noticed any bad withdrawals. With Sub, you hear a lot that "less is more". I really believe that to be true. I feel strongly that at 24 mg/day, I was over-medicated.

I never had any type of bothersome withdrawl until I tried going under 2 mgs/day. That's how powerful Sub is!

Is your doctor onboard with your desire to begin a taper? Perhaps he can suggest a taper schedule for you. If not, and you are doing this on your own, I feel like you will have an easy time of tapering pretty fast until you get to 8 mgs. At that point, you need to slow down the taper. When you get there, there are many of us here to help you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

CA

1.1.15 - 8 mg/day
1.24.15 - 6 mgs/day
3.6.15 - 4 mg/day
3.22.15 - 3 mg/day
5.3.15- 2 mg/day
5.17.15 - 1.5 mg/day
5.29.15 - 1 mg/day
6.16.15 - .8 mg/day
12.18.15 - 4 mg
12.28.15 - 2 mg
1.10.16 - 1.5 mg
1.21.16 - 1 mg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At 16mg virtually all of your opiate receptors are occupied. There was talk a few years ago about making 16mg the maximum allowable dose, but of course that means less $ for the Pharm companies. My guess is you could go from 32 to 16 overnight and not notice a difference.
In my experience going from 16 to 8 was nothing, and going from 8 to 4 was pretty easy. It's below four that you have to take it really slow.

If you're not ready to go off you could take the easy ride from 32 to 8 and just stay there for a while. You'll have fewer side effects and save a lot of money.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:49 pm 

Hi French, I started at 24mgs and dropped to 6mgs with no problem. I dose three times per day because I also use subs for pain. I need to cut the 2mgs strips into two so I can now go to 4mgs. I don't anticipate having any problems as I have heard it gets hard when you start to go lower than 4mgs. Please keep us informed about how you are doing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my Dr is happy to follow my lead so I can start reducing whenever I am up to it. I do feel my dose is too high but there were reasons it kept climbing so I am a little hesitant. Before I left my last job, I was working 13 hour days and trying to fit in everything I needed and wanted to do for my 5 kids around work and I was falling asleep before having my nighttime dose most days. I found I could go 3-4 days in 16mg before the withdrawals started nipping at my heels, so I know I couldn't do a 50% drop straight up, but im sure a couple of my fairly regularly would be fine.

As far as saving money, here we pay a flat rate, so someone on 2mg pays the same as someone on 32mg (different chemists have different rates), so money isn't a motivating factor, I actually wish it was, I think I would be more likely to reduce if it meant saving money.