It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am going to give this another shot . I tried and failed 2 weeks ago but it's something I need to do. Last time 40 hours in I gave in to the cravings . Do y'all have any advice on how to be ok with the cravings and how to be ok with not sleeping ? It's the thing that bothers me most as soon as my head hit the pillow the cravings began . I can't stand not sleeping and I regret not just staying up and doing something because I think the cravings go away eventually . Thanks for your advice . I am coming down between .4-.6 I don't know . Could use all the support I can get . I have a month and a half free and want to do this before my senior year begins .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is important to keep in mind that you won't die from lack of sleep. In experiments where people are prevented from sleeping, they eventually start to hallucinate and become delirious... but in those experiments it was extremely difficult to keep people awake. If your brain absolutely needs sleep, it will demand it-- and get it. I think many of us have a fear that something bad will happen if we don't get to sleep... but lack of sleep alone won't kill you.

With that in mind, you will want to find something to keep yourself occupied in the middle of the night, so you don't become despondent from loneliness. I'm just thinking now... but on the other side of the world, people are awake all night long... and it would be cool if there were video chat rooms for people in similar circumstances, to help prevent loneliness. Maybe there are such things?

Of course someone is always wandering past this forum, so this is a start...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey nemo hope your doing ok, I was in a very similar situation as you a couple months ago, except I had about 16 days off of work. I came off of the same dose of suboxone and the nights were definately the hardest part. over the counter meds didn't do anything for me, i used kratom to sleep the first week, which is dangerous to play with but it helped me after that I just suffered through another week or two of sleeplessness, it's really not the end of the world tho I wasn't sleeping good when I went back to work and thought I would be unable to do my job but it really didn't affect my that badly, like the doctor said if your body really needs sleep it will get it even if hats just an hour or two here and there and your not happy with it. I would just get up and sit in the car and listen to music at night when I couldn't sleep or watch some Netflix or take a hot bath, they seemed to help, some people have success with prescription pills to help sleep I don't know if you can talk to your dr to see what he thinks, that just wasn't an option for me personally. As far as dealing with the cravings I also relapsed about the 48 hour mark of detox and realized it just wasn't going to happen with the subs staring me in the face so I took them all about 150 8mg films and gave them to someone to hold and get away from me and around day 10 when I knew I would be ok I threw them all away. Some people don't have to do this but for me personally it was the only way.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's been 32 hours and I haven't sleept yet from last night. I think lowering my dose to .4 wasn't the best idea because already. my arms are feeling hot and like they need to move . My thigh is killing Me. Hot flashes throughout the night. I think I've been in mild withdraws this week because it's hitting pretty hard . Must be from lowering the dose because withdraws shouldn't start so soon .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I got about two hour and a half naps in today !! I'm really proud of myself and I got through the first night and it makes me feel really good! I feel like the first night is the hardest but I' should sleep a lot better tonight since I didn't allow myself to sleep all day !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 pm 

Just stay the course and you'll win. Once the body is dependent on a substance like Suboxone it doesn't want you to stop taking it. Just remember what Dr. Junig always says. Mostly it's in your head on how bad the w/d's are. We tend to be wimps just thinking about withdrawals. Our brains focus on it so hard it scares us. But once you make the jump you realize it isn't all that bad and you will survive. Time heals all. Get some time behind you and the further you get away from it the less you'll think about it. I never thought I could ever stop smoking, drinking, smoking pot, taking pain meds, etc, etc...But here I am and doing just fine. The day may come when I stop the Suboxone too but it's not today.

One day at a time as the saying goes,

rule62

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good for you for getting off all that stuff . I'm almost 48 hours off the stuff and I feel way better than I have in years . I think once I got past the initial cravings I started to realize it's not bad . My muscles are warm but it feels kinda good to be honest . For once I don't feel like a zombie !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey guys just an update I'm hanging in there it's now been 89 hours . It hasn't really been that bad but I woke up today with the stomach issues . Feel like I gotta go to the bathroom way too much. Besides that the worst part is the restless legs at night because it's hard to sleep. It's not that bad just minor inconviences . Can't believe I've made it this far I'm really happy !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good work nemo! Hang in there man in the grand scheme of things the amount of time your uncomfortable is meaningless I know it seems to drag on at first but believe me the days will start to move quicker and you'll feel better and better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

109 hours in and I was able to lay down and sleep in the first attempt last night . I get like no sleep maybe 2-4 hours but I have more energy than I did on the drug ! The physical stuff is subsiding and I'm doing well. I exercise at least once a day for thirty minutes and it helped me a lot . I've been in the gym for a year and having a healthy body goes along way with the Withdrawl . I feel really good right now and I'm off to play basketball and take a drive !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:08 pm 

Hi Never, Congratulations! Sounds like you are doing the best possible things to stay focused! Exercise is great! Enjoy the rest of the day!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

125 hours in and not much has changed . I feel great most of the day and in between I can be a bit sad but I have had music playing pretty much the whole time. I am seeing more beauty in life and tonight I just stared at the moon for ten minutes . I was so damn tired I fell asleep watching tv for about an hour and now I'm up until who knows when . I have become at peace with not sleeping and itl get better soon! Last two nights I've been going on runs late at night to help with the restless legs and arms . It helps a lot . If you are reading this and are trying to get off . It's really not bad and if I can do it you can too. i cannot wait until my one week mark ! Tuesday night will be one week and I haven't felt proud of myself in a long time . I can honestly say I'm really proud and hoping my experience can help someone out there . Best advice is to exercise and always have music on and go to bed with the tv on. hot baths make everything better so don't underestimate it. Baths literally take away all my symptoms and makes me feel good for hours after . If I had a hot tub id be in it all the time . Mentally I still have suboxone around but I'd rather lay down in an ant hill than take it. My next step is to completely get rid of it . Once that happens I have no access to it I haven't spoken to my doctor in 8 months and I'm in a new place . Not sure why I still have it to be honest. Anyway I'm off to take a bath and try to sleep il update in the next 24 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Awesome stuff nemo,
I'm currently at pretty much the exact same spot you're at. I quit last Sunday. There's been a couple nights of sleep aided with 0.5 mg of clonazepam. Last 2 days I haven't taken it because I'm worried about dependence on it. I'm also questioning if in my delirium I created this thread and made all those posts because of how similar it is to my current situation. :D

For me the days are easy at this point. I try to get exercise. At least a half hour. Keep busy. Almost back to normal besides the slight mood swings or random urge to cry(usually a happy tear) at some stupid cheesy tv show, commercial or random thought.

But the nights. Uggghhh. The nights man. I'd trade just about any w/d symptom (except the restless legs) for this insomnia. Hope it starts getting a little better soon. The interesting thing with that is I can take naps. I've nap'd mid day like a champ over the last week. But when it gets late and its time to go to bed like a normal person, there isn't even a nap to be had.

I've got a 5 full 8mg strips and Lortab 7.5s but im not giving in. Im tempted to just trash all of it. If I were smart I would.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Just wanted to let you know you have someone following your thread that's in a very similar spot. And its helpful for me to read it. Its 8 am and i've been up all night and reading your story has taken my mind off that dreadful idea that I haven't slept in a looong time.
Keep us updated.
Cheers!

**any spelling or grammar errors due to tired

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I finally caved and took Xanax about 20 minutes ago . I've never taken any in my life but had some from a doctor who gave me them for mri scans cuz I don't like small spaces . The first relief I've felt and I only have 5 so I'm gonna only use them if absolutely needed . I took it because I am so desperate for sleep and have an exam later on today that I can't afford to flunk due to lack of sleep. I'm hoping it puts me to bed because I couldn't sleep because my arms feel like they need to move constantly and it's so infuriating . For a minute the suboxone looked really good but I'm gonna throw them out now . I feel like them being there makes me feel like it's an option which increase cravings . Oh well gonna go throw them out now and hope for the best ! Almost 144 hours only two hours to go !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I messed up the hours I'm at 131 ! All 25 strips have been flushed so there is no turning back now. I highly recommend you flush them it's just a disaster waiting to happen .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats nemo! Getting rid of the subs was a big point for me I had a suboxone roast with over a 100 strips lol it felt good, and I knew there was no turning back. I probably would have tried taking a Xanax for sleep if it was an option for me when I was in first few weeks so I understand. I did take a flexiril which put me to sleep but I felt like total crap the whole next day so didn't make that mistake again. I kept wondering when my sleep would get back to normal and most of the posts I read said 6 weeks, and for me that was pretty on the money. Up ontil that point it was hit or miss I'd sleep one night fine and not the next, just hang in there tho it gets better. I'm sleeping great now and extremely thankful for it. And you will be there as well soon enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Does my one have any experience with benzos? I have 3 and a half left and I wanna take them for sleep (.5) I just don't want to create another problem but I don't think 4 days of use will cause adverse effects ! Please let me know your opinion because I really don't want another problem on my hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't think you will develop a true dependence from 3 mg of xanax or klonopins. You're not going to withdraw from that. In this situation I think its like getting used to using nyquil or tylenol pm for sleep. You just might get a little accustomed to having that medicine to get to sleep and it might be slightly tougher without. Or maybe not.

I've still got a few more. Im just trying to use them more sparingly. Not taking them for more than 3 days in a row. Its just my plan. There's no science or true logic behind it.

I actually really slept for about 6 hours on my own last night with nothing but a melatonin and some magnesium. The exercise was huge. Especially the short run.

You're about to really start to come out the other side. I think we just have to accept that natural sleep isn't going to be a close friend of ours for a few more weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is so weird ! I also got 6 hours of sleep last night and it's awesome ! Yesterday was great I was out and about doing stuff. I feel rested today and a little overtired . . Looks like the page is starting to turn because even with Xanax the night before I only got 4 at most . Il take the Xanax until it's out in 2 days just because the further along I am the easier it will be to sleep !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Nemo I don't think you'll get physically dependant from taking Xanax for a few days I used to go on binges taking a ton of them for a few weeks at a time when I was using and never had any physical withdrawal from it, but with the sleep thing at least if your like me the first night I got a good 5-6 hours I was really excited that it would just get better from there.... But it was really hit or miss for a few weeks I found what you do during the day has a lot to do with it at that point, if you wake up early and stay busy all day it's a lot easier to sleep, if you just lay around and don't do much you'll have a hard time getting to sleep. I'm happy to be back to the point where I cal lay around all day when I'm off work and still sleep like a baby at night lol.