It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

4 MONTHS OFF SUBOXONE. I don't have much news to report other then I'm doing real well. Sleep is odd for me I get plenty a night but sometimes I wake up and am wide awake . I recently got a puppy and she's been keeping me up but she's amazing ! My stomach is fine but bathroom issues are so random and who knows if that's suboxone related but oh well. I honestly don't think of suboxone anymore it's so far behind me that it doesn't phase me one bit ! It's crazy how you can do something for 5 years and quit it and just forget about it so quickly . I can 100% say I do not regret my choice and will never go back on subs ! I'm just so much more productive without it and I feel like myself ! Anyway for those trying to quit itl be rough for a little bit totally worth it ! Il be back in a month !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats on 4 months.
I'm on day 13 free from Suboxone and doing really well.
I did a slow taper with minimal withdrawal.
Great work memo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

(I now you are feeling much better now, but I thought I would share this for other whom are reading for encouragement)

SLEEP... that was always my biggest hurdle. I could struggle through the rest of it: bone pain, cold chills, loose stool... but when it came to being 3am and sleep looked like it would no come, that's when I'd really start to doubt what I was doing.

I tried twice to jump from subs at or near the .5 MG mark... and both times I made it roughly a month before relapsing. After a few weeks, I'd start to sleep, but only for a few hours (maybe 4, 5 if I was lucky) and I would rise VERY early...

But, I ended up relapsing... every time...

What finally helped me through, was:
I carefully and methodically tapered to .03125 MG... Yup, you heard me right, .03125 MG... that is cutting a 8MG strip into 256 pieces... To keep it simple, I ALWAYS cut doses in half when tapering... Other suggest tapering slower once you get down to .5, but I just found it easier to keep track of if it was always in half... I would take the new dose for no less than 3 weeks preferably 4-5 to give my body a real shot at getting used to the lower dose.

Once I got down to .0625 MG(1/128th of a piece of an 8MG strip), i figured the effects were now all in my head.. Some calculations I had found were telling me that .0625 MG of Suboxone was roughly equally to 2.5 MG of hydrocodone... And I was pretty sure that I could stop without too much trouble, but I also felt that if this slow taper was working for me and I had been going down this path for two years, why mess it up by rushing at the end....

So i made it to .03125 and stayed there for 4 weeks... then I found myself forgetting to take it, and without any negative effects... So I then would take it every other day... I did this for a week or two and then told myself it was time to try...

I jumped... I only had slight issues a few days after last dose (damn high half life), but this only resulted in loose stool (not bad, in fact only needed 1/2 dose of loperamide)...

A am currently able to sleep a full 7-8 hours and don't really think I am experiencing much in the way of PAWS, at least not like I remember it feeling...

To anyone jumping and experiencing mild WDs, I would suggest reading up on your favorite search engine about THOMAS' RECIPE... I have found many of the items work well to combat some symptoms of WDs.

I know my post is a bit scatterbrained, but after so many years of abusing my mind trying to stay on track when writting is difficult.
With that said, if I can ever answer a question for anyone about my journey i would be glad to discuss... Just reply or send me a message and I will offer what ever comfort I can.

John (Reprieve)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

5 Months off sub! Not gonna lie I've been doing great! I have all A's in my classes and applying to law schools ! Everything is going well ! Today I had a bit of a testing moment though . My friend had surgery and she offered my an oxy and at first I said yes but before I went to get it I thought about it and said no. It was weird her offering it and me just saying yes and getting excited but I calmed down and thought about it and said no . I'm still kinds thinking about it but I know better now that there isn't much of a point of feeling euphoric for 30 minutes and coming down and spending the next day or days down in the dumps. Besides that I have nothing but positive progress everyday . My anxiety has gone down a lot although I have issues swallowing things because choking on that vitamin during my withdrawal still hasn't gone away mentally. Not sure what I'm gonna do with that but I need a solution because I dread eating and always convince myself I'm gonna choke . I eat plenty it's just the pleasure of eating has gone away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Never,

Wow! great news! You are doing great! Ya, choking spells w pills are the pits!!

Super you said no to oxy!! You did the right thing, Well done.

Excited for you and your upcoming law school applications.

Get this one and done, over w and go on w your life. Except come back here and post maybe monthly for a yr then at least every 6 mos. we just had a well respected member teejay come up w this idea and request 6 mos updates. Wishing you my best!! Peli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:53 am 

Thanks for the update! Good job turning down the oxy. I think that our drug addiction tends to put us on autopilot when it comes to saying or thinking, "Yes!" when offered our drug of choice. It's only when we have a chance to think about it for a minute that we realize that we would just be heading down into the hole again.

I would seek some cognitive behavioral therapy for your swallowing problem. It's been helpful to many people who feel that they are stuck with certain behaviors. I would seek someone out who has experience in CBT and possibly PTSD, which you may have from the swallowing incident.

Good luck! We're pulling for you!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been trying to wean off Suboxone for months and I finally did it 14 days ago. I tried and failed several times, caving in after a night of no sleep or what I call the "heebie jeebies," that feeling that you have to move your arms and legs to feel comfortable. It drove me absolutely nuts. Finally, I just threw away the remaining Suboxone I had and went for it.

On my last month of taper, I was down to .25mg/day. The symptoms weren't as bad as full blown withdrawals from traditional opiates, but they were still uncomfortable. My mood was particularly impacted--I was cranky, anxious, irritable and depressed. Instead of continuing this way, I started weaning down any further by only taking .25mg once every 3 days or so. I took it right before I anticipated having symptoms which for me was after about 3-4 days. I tried this method for about 4 weeks and then just gradually weaned off. I have been off the Suboxone for 14 days and have no remaining symptoms. The last try, I only had a couple of nights of insomnia but my mood eventually improved.

Hang in there-you are almost there and you are doing really great!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
but in those experiments it was extremely difficult to keep people awake. If your brain absolutely needs sleep, it will demand it-

IN the middle of my 2 hour PW storm I suddenly realized i'd had a dream that my wife had asked me to go downstairs to check something. I asked her if she had asked this and she said no, you must have been dreaming. And this was when I was on my feet and jerking around in near agony from PW. So yes, doc right. When you absolutely need to sleep, you will.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

8 and 1/2 months and I'm still doing great. Things have gotten better and Suboxone is the last thing on my mind. Totally forgot about the forum but I still haven't relapsed and everything in my life is where I want it to be except having broke up with the girlfriend ☹️. I shall return soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:40 pm 

Your story is inspiring. So many people come here looking for support and answers to help them get off the Buprenorphine. Reading your thread should ease the minds of those so worried about the withdrawal symptoms. You said it quite nicely that it was all doable and to keep working so you don't obsess over it. Great job!

My only question is this. Did you not use any support group like NA or similar to help give you some people to lean on? I ask because so many people need that and just can't seem to stay off opiates w/o some kind of program. Reading your story in bits and pieces I didn't see where you mentioned that.

Thanks for coming back and posting too. Right now, the way the forum is going it seems like half the new members are trying to get off it, not induce, like in the days that I joined. Oh well, at least we have all the bases covered.

Stay clean and keep us in the loop,

rule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rule,
I did not use any support program. I don't believe in them and il tell you the reason why. I believe that it's a personal choice to stop or refrain from using opiatrs. I don't think any amount of support can replace personal motivatation. I do believe it helps some people but for me I don't believe so. For me it's a simple choice. Do I wanna live with the anxiety and other side effects on suboxone or opiates? Or do I wanna live without it? I choose to live without it because it's a much better life for me. It's really not about fighting off cravings because when I think of suboxone and opiates I remember the way I felt on them so it's easy. My life is by no means a fairy tale but I enjoy being able to go out with friends and hit the bars without feeling like crap and enjoy waking up in the morning and not feeling anxiety for no reason . Stopping has just enriched my life and I have no reason to go back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Neverfoundnemo wrote:
Rule,
I did not use any support program. I don't believe in them and il tell you the reason why. I believe that it's a personal choice to stop or refrain from using opiatrs. I don't think any amount of support can replace personal motivatation. I do believe it helps some people but for me I don't believe so. For me it's a simple choice. Do I wanna live with the anxiety and other side effects on suboxone or opiates? Or do I wanna live without it? I choose to live without it because it's a much better life for me. It's really not about fighting off cravings because when I think of suboxone and opiates I remember the way I felt on them so it's easy. My life is by no means a fairy tale but I enjoy being able to go out with friends and hit the bars without feeling like crap and enjoy waking up in the morning and not feeling anxiety for no reason . Stopping has just enriched my life and I have no reason to go back.

i'm required to see a therapist once a month (or go to an NA meeting)
after the intake with my therapist, she recommended every week!
we have dealt with a lot of my issues. i'm stable on my sub dose so we don't even talk about that! just talking things out with someone can be beneficial. we actually uncovered a pattern to my addiction, so now i'm aware of what life changes i need to watch for as far as a relapse.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Stangers!
ITS BEEN A YEAR OFF SUBOXONE. I'm still doing great and have no regrets. During this time I've been prescribed painkillers twice and both times were able to put the pills away after they served there purpose. So for those who think they can never get off and if they do they'll end up right back were they were, DONT GIVE UP! Going through that withdrawal taught me a lot about myself and made me a stronger person.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 am 

Great job Nemo! I do remember somewhat of ur journey.

It's awesome that u came bk to let us know how ur doing post buprenorphine, we don't always get that. When I first joined this forum, there was a lady tapering off and stopped. She detailed everything she was going through during those days she'd just stepped off. I remember her so well because honestly she was the first person I'd ever read here going through that and I was pretty clueless about what it was like stopping bupe. After she got past the first few weeks, she's never been bk to say she made it successfully or if she had problems... nothing. I wish she had. So it's really important for others to know how ur doing. If someone has read ur entire journey day after day, then of course they want to get updates :) hopefully you'll keep them coming periodically!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:58 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Neverfoundnemo wrote:
Hello Stangers!
ITS BEEN A YEAR OFF SUBOXONE. I'm still doing great and have no regrets. During this time I've been prescribed painkillers twice and both times were able to put the pills away after they served there purpose. So for those who think they can never get off and if they do they'll end up right back were they were, DONT GIVE UP! Going through that withdrawal taught me a lot about myself and made me a stronger person.

i'm glad you were able to use painkillers for their actual purpose then stop. not everyone will be able to do that! thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nemo, I remember you! And your story. Congrats and thanks for stopping in. Your story reminds me that I also had 2 times w opiate use for surgeries, I think I still have the leftovers along w my sub stockpile which I know is there. Strange how I want to keep the subs, can't well explain it. Seems better to have them than not. Keep up all your doing and let us hear from you again. Best tonight! Pel