It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just considered this the other day.

Because of my addiction, I've been unable to travel. Firstly there was my bipolar and mood instability that got in the way, then came my addiction ... and when that's going on, travel is the last thing on my mind.

Now I'm 29, all my friends have at least seen SOME of the world, and I'm feeling more and more bored with seeing the same old places. I really need to see more of the world, experience a culture shock, and go on an adventure.

My problem is, I'm on Suboxone. This can make it a PAIN to travel to many of the countries I'd like to. I'd need to get permission from the consulate to every country I enter, and even with their okay, I cannot guarantee the people at the border/airport will be okay as well. I also will be unable to transfer flights in Singapore or Dubai, two big transport hubs for any travel to Europe from my country. It also makes it a real pain to even get enough Suboxone to travel with, because I'd be limited to getting 2 weeks of "take-aways", limiting any travelling to 2 weeks... Yeah that'd work really well.

I recently read a story about a woman who became a heroin addict in my city. She got on methadone, stopped using ... she reduced her methadone gradually over a year while still working in brothels, then she had her last tiny dose and got on the plane to Italy while in withdrawals. She had a "close shave" while in Italy, bumping into a junky and asking for "la heroina" but made it out without using in the end.

I graduate from my uni half way through next year. My plan is to be off Suboxone by then. I'll use the time between now and then to save up money, then once I graduate bam I'll be on a plane and fuck off overseas and see as much of the world as possible in 6 months. I know that when you get off Suboxone, you feel like you're experiencing the world again for the first time, and everything is raw, new and you feel excitement a lot more. I do think that travelling on Suboxone would be a bit wasted, because I know from past experience that when I get off Sub, I forget a lot of my life while I was on it. I want to remember it.

I'm going to contact the author of that book and see if I can get some tips off her.

Post subject: Interesting Subject
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:12 pm 

I am a little confused on why it would be hard to travel with Suboxone. Do they look inside your carry-on to see what meds you take?

My wife and I went to Switzerland and then over to England in '09, before I got on to Sub. I brought my Norco, Tramadol, Soma, and some Ambien and never once did anyone question what was in my prescription bottles. We are heading to Iceland next summer and of course I will bring enough Suboxone for the trip. Do I need to worry about this? My Sub will be in my carry-on and this has not even crossed my mind as to be a problem. It is a legally prescribed medication made out in my name, so why would anyone question that?

And I also disagree that Sub will alter my memory of seeing different lands. Is this something you've heard or is it just your experience? My memory of the last three years on Sub is still vivid so I doubt if I'll have this problem when we travel.

On the other hand I don't want to discourage you from tapering and stopping Sub before you travel. I do agree that it would be best to be clean of Bup before you go so you can really enjoy the sites and smells of distant lands. Kind of like when I quit smoking. My sense of smell and taste came roaring back and it was great.

Save your money TJ, travelling is very expensive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's not so much the intensity of memory. It's the concern that I won't remember as much of my travels once I do come off Sub.

Also re Suboxone ... I guess I could do it all "under the radar", but if I travel I'd be gone for 6 months, and smuggling 6 months worth of 2mg sub strips is a bit clumsy. I dunno if I can fit that much up my bunghole to be honest. And I'll be travelling on some countries that apparently don't see methadone and Suboxone as any different to heroin... esp Singapore. It's mainly the fact that being on Sub limits me to 2 weeks of travel at a time...

However, the implant would change all that.

The memory thing comes from my own experience. When I've gone off Sub in the past, my memory of the time I spent on Sub was hazy. I remember I moved back to my home city and got on Suboxone straight away after living interstate for a year. Then after 2 months I jumped off Suboxone, and it was weird but it was as if I only then realised I'd actually arrived back in my home town ... if that makes sense? I shared the experience to a room full of NA-NA's shortly after. My concern is if I travel and experience all this cool shit, I wanna remember it with as much clarity as I can.

Anyway ... onward farken!