It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Getting off Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi before I say anything I am 24 and realize being on suboxone was a mistake.I have been taking probably around 3-4mg of suboxone for 8 months getting it unprescribed.I suffer from depression and have been told I might have bipolar which I believe I do. It started out with me wanting to try suboxone from someone I knew to see how it would help my depression. I found it helped me a lot was a lot less depressed, started getting up early, had so much energy to get things done. I am noticing I am needing more to have the same good feeling so I am going to try to get off of it but part of me doesn't want to.Tried a one day off of it and didn't even make it through the whole day before I said screw it and took a piece.Felt a lot weaker, was more depressed, was getting like cold sweats. Took a pill and within half a hour started feeling nice again went from feeling bad to getting a nice warm feeling and the energy back.Really not sure how to get off of it because I really hate being really depressed.I have had problems in the past with depression from suicidal thoughts to drinking till I blackout.

Post subject: Re: Getting off Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Corey I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but detoxing off suboxone is quite the ordeal for most people due its long Half-life. At 3-4mg a day you will be in full withdrawal for atleast a week and possibly longer. I am currently at 15 days and am still feeling the side effects, though much less severe. For many the biggest struggle is insomnia and RLS at night (Restless leg syndrome).

I would highly recommend either A: Find a suboxone doctor to help you taper down a bit and prepare yourself mentally for the detox or B: Talk to you family doctor and see how he can help you. I personally prefer the Cold Turkey method, but after reading your post I don't think that is going to be the right approach for you.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm 

Hey Corey, and welcome here. I'm with Tiki on this one. If depression is bad with you then you need a proper taper to get off of it. Nice and slow is the best way to accomplish your goal.

IMO, you need to be treated for your bi-polar disease with the proper medication, not Suboxone. But if you stop cold turkey the depression will be bad. At least it was with me when I tried to stop once.

Please try to go see a professional for your condition. Buying Sub off the street just makes it look bad for everyone who uses it properly. You need someone who knows more about what symptoms you're having and can make a diagnosis. Stay on the Suboxone until you find that person is my advice. We surely don't want you depressed or suicidal.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with the posts above, but also want to add that it will be impossible to get off subs if you are not 100% committed to getting off them. Even when my desire to get off subs was the sole focus of my life, I STILL had a very very hard time getting through the detox. If you are not ready, don't even bother.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

L i v i n knows. He said exactly what you need to focus on. It must be hard dude, bi polar is a serious issue you need to get help with. It takes alot of courage to live in the real, with no filter
Gl.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone for replying I appreciate it. I actually don't have a doctor nor can I see one at the moment I am planning on seeing a psychologist when I can. Also I actually get the suboxone free from the person which makes it harder to quit because of that reason.Ya I honestly can say I am not 100% into quitting because I hate how I felt before I started suboxone and will defiantly hate how I will feel after. Then there's the issue of never trying suboxone or even something else again which is probably gonna be hard because I know how nice suboxone can make me feel.I guess my best bet would be to stay on it till i see a psychologist or something. I also was thinking about trying kratom to get off of it but pretty much read thats a bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:43 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

kratom works like an opiate so you will then have to detox from kratom. There is no easy way to get off subs or any opiate. The only way to get off with minimum pain is a very slow taper. But a slow taper takes real commitment. I had to give my subs to my father and have him dispense the proper dose each day because I was so addicted to that 'nice' feeling that I had many moments when I really wanted more. If I had control of my meds I don't know if I would have had a strong enough will to stick to my long taper.

Like i said, if you are not 110% ready and willing to stop, stay on the subs until you are. When your desire to get off is stronger then the desire to feel that 'nice' feeling, taper slow and under the supervision of a doctor(and get some detox meds from him).

Getting off subs will probably be more difficult since you are using them for mental health reasons. You need to address that before you get off. I used subs to treat my depression but when I finally got off them and decided to make major changes to my life, my depression went away. I am not saying that your bipolar will just go away, but getting off subs and living a healthy lifestyle will ultimately improve your mental health problems to a much greater extent then getting high. Exercise, 12 step program, healthy eating, making goals, meditation, etc. are all things that can drastically change your life for the better. It takes hard work and commitment on a daily basis, but I chose hard work over giving up and getting high.

Life is so rich when you are totally clean and improving yourself everyday in natural, healthy ways. Books like "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz, changed my bleak outlook on life and helped me get out of my head. There are other ways to improve your mental health. Try them!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for taking the time to help. I think the best thing for me to do is see a psychologist to help me get off the meds and to most likely be put on meds that help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Corey, I'm glad that you are looking at your issues. Denial is very easy for an addict. Getting your sub for free puts you in a very precarious position because you can never really be sure. Bi-polar disease is very serious, but treatable. Make that your goal, treating your disease, and everything else will work out. That's my opinion anyway. Good luck, CC