It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey, This is my first post, but I have not done any painkillers in over a year but I have been taking suboxone off and on, more on then off, and just a month ago I tried to stop taking suboxone for good. I tried so hard but I just couldnt eat right, felt depressed and I eventually had to go back to the doctor and get another prescription which I was hoping not to do. I know I have to stop taking them eventually but I saw it as a temporary solution for now. I can take very small amount of a sub and be fine all day, but if I don't then I feel like crap again. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience or know of ways to finally stop taking it for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jspa and welcome to the forum. It's expected that what happened would occur - you are dependent on suboxone. It is an opiate after all, albeit a partial opioid agonist. The way to minimize withdrawals is to do a long, slow taper - wean yourself off of it.

That's one of the main reasons we go on suboxone. As addicts we are nearly completely unable to taper off our DOC, but with suboxone, since their are no addictive behaviors attached to it, we actually CAN wean off of it.

Check out some of the threads under the "Stopping Suboxone" section. Most people write their own "taper journals" as you will see, so that you can read their whole taper story.

I haven't gone off suboxone yet, but I'm sure others who have will come along and chime in with their experience. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jspa, just be careful about how you take your Suboxone.

By taking it "on and off", the line between using Suboxone, and abusing Suboxone, becomes blurred. If you're only taking Suboxone to make yourself feel better when you're struggling, you're basically using Subs to try and control how you feel. This is using Suboxone addictively.When we take Suboxone "on and off", we are still susceptible to its "stoning" effect when we use it. By having breaks, you are giving yourself a chance to reduce your tolerance, so when you resume, Suboxone is likely to have some agonist effects. Essentially, your use of Suboxone is more like "switching drugs" than treating your addiction.

Like Hat said, I'd suggest resuming your Suboxone treatment, and taking it as prescribed. Take it every day, as a part of a routine, that way it is "out of your head" and doesn't resemble your addiction. Rather, it allows you to live a functional life, enduring all its ups and downs, while minimising cravings.

Give it a go, and put tapering in the back of your mind. You'll know when you're ready to take that step.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

tearj3rker wrote:

By taking it "on and off", the line between using Suboxone, and abusing Suboxone, becomes blurred. If you're only taking Suboxone to make yourself feel better when you're struggling, you're basically using Subs to try and control how you feel. This is using Suboxone addictively.When we take Suboxone "on and off", we are still susceptible to its "stoning" effect when we use it. By having breaks, you are giving yourself a chance to reduce your tolerance, so when you resume, Suboxone is likely to have some agonist effects. Essentially, your use of Suboxone is more like "switching drugs" than treating your addiction.

Like Hat said, I'd suggest resuming your Suboxone treatment, and taking it as prescribed. Take it every day, as a part of a routine, that way it is "out of your head" and doesn't resemble your addiction. Rather, it allows you to live a functional life, enduring all its ups and downs, while minimising cravings.

Give it a go, and put tapering in the back of your mind. You'll know when you're ready to take that step.

So if he's trying to get off Subs and he's skipping days on taking it (like ive seen many ppl on here suggest to do when weaning) then thats addictive behavior?? Also, he's just "switching drugs" by doing that? I dont get it. The only thing this does prove though is how many different opinions and advice ppl will give on this site. It's not bad but could be very confusing and cause conflict for someone new coming to this site for advice and help like this person.

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sodone wrote:
tearj3rker wrote:

So if he's trying to get off Subs and he's skipping days on taking it (like ive seen many ppl on here suggest to do when weaning) then thats addictive behavior?? Also, he's just "switching drugs" by doing that? I dont get it. The only thing this does prove though is how many different opinions and advice ppl will give on this site. It's not bad but could be very confusing and cause conflict for someone new coming to this site for advice and help like this person.

I think the advice on skipping days you are referring to is aimed at people on a taper. At the end some people skip days before stopping. The op says he has been using sub on and off for a year, it's a bit different the skipping days at the end of a taper.

There are always going to be varying opinions and advice on any forum you visit. This is a forum of fellow addicts and we are just posting our experiences and what worked for us and that is going to be different. When a person comes here seeking advice it is up to them to choose what advice to take and which to leave.